Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Scott_rider

Re: Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Post by Scott_rider »

I've done the Hafren about 4 or 5 times with redbikejohn.

It's an excellent day's riding...kind of like a long fast trail ride B) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Mike54

Re: Who wants to race in UK rallies (Hafren/Cambrian etc) and doesn't? can't? won't?

Post by Mike54 »

Grading wise, the events are below with 1 being easy (fire road really) and 5 being the hardest in terms of the terrain

Sweet Lamb Sprint 1
Kielder 1
Ryedale (3 if dry, 4/5 if wet)
Beacons 4
Hafren 4
Cambrian 3/4

None are like enduros though in terms of difficulty of terrain, so think of 4 (above) being a moderately tough green lane like bamford clough in the peaks
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

I wouldn't mind having a go next summer, but want a full winter of Green laning with my mates first. Plus the bike that I will use has to get me to work everyday, so don't want to smash it up......

If i had a second, half decent bike then I would do it all the time.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Just had a thought - why you trying to get more to go? They are booked full each year! Well the Hafren is anyway.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

Mike54 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:Pity it's so expensive - I didn't realise entry fees were over £100

Is it the cost of hiring the land that makes it so expensive ?
There are a number of reasons. Each event is organised by a club. The rental to the forestry commission can be up £15,000, then you have all the personnel involved and the timing guys (usually a seperate firm paid to deal with that side of it). You have rental of a farmers field, marketing, number printing, ACU and MSA permits, all manner of expenses. Some clubs give free food on the saturday night (Ryedale was an excellent curry with a number of different dishes) and or vouchers to use at the caterer present etc

When you put it in the context of being able to ride pretty much all day for two days (usually they are 2 day events), no gates, no oncoming traffic, no walkers, horses, mountain bikers or other users, and you can ride at speed on the specials (if you want) and have a great laugh at the same time, I think it's actually pretty good value. At Kielder for example you do two laps, 80 miles per lap, all offroad bar about 3 miles of tarmac.
you missed out paramedics Mike :D

@redbikejohn:
theres discussion at the moment about the format for next year
yup cambrian/hafren/k2/ryedale/beacons all at capacity
room for expansion in other events? dunno?
not that many do all the events

just wondered why people didn't ride really.
think money/time/family is the bottom line as ever
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Cost. Well yes I'm quite happy to pay 60 to 70 quid for an entry but once it gets up to or over £100 I'm not that keen. Actually that is one of the reason's I've not done the dawn to dusk. Actually the Welsh events do cost us quite a bit so I can't do them all.
Entry £70
B&B £30 + £30 (me and wife)
Race fuel 20 ltr × £1.34
Car fuel £60 or more to fill up then mate mate fills up in Wales on way back.
Tyres £100 if you need new ones
Food £20 each way.
Plus all the small odd bits you need.
Quite often a race away will cost me 300 quid! I do the snow run and drovers enduros which are a bit tricky but Hafren is a nice weekend away. Riding is very easy though so I've not done the other rallies as I hear they are less technical than the Hafren (which this year had a lot less tech routes I think) .
Yamaha tenere 700

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

It's important to distinguish that the events over £100 are all two day events and the £65-70 ones are one day.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Never done a two day event. Would mean another night in a b&b therefore adding to the cost. OK I know people camp but that's not for me the night before a race. Plus none of my mates would camp ...
Yamaha tenere 700

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Plenty of guys do camp and many don't want to actually race, they just want to have a laugh with mates so there's no requirement to spend on a B&B unless you want one. Also the two day-ers (bar cambrian) are all in summer and whilst we live in britain and weather is hardly guaranteed, at least it's not (generally) cold to be out. Bottom line is its up to an individual what they do sleeping wise, but there is no "need" to have a B&B as such unless you want one.
wonky

Post by wonky »

This video has just gone online that tries to give a bit of an overview of the All Terrain Rally Challenge, the events, bikes riding etc.

Return to “THE PUB”