How do you earn a crust?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jinna

Re: How do you earn a crust?

Post by Jinna »

h the dog wrote:after discovering the joys of flight i think i should've joined the RAF!!
i spent my time with the Special Investigation Branch of the Royal Military Police ( for any civvies reading this) interviewing suspected homosexuals( homosexuality being illegal at that time in the forces) having had enough of that i undertook close protection duties,then served several tours with a unit numbered between 13 and 15........
a friend of mine was in 14 intel, in the late 70's early 80's, last i heard he was in Iraq working as a freelance security, good money by all accounts and he deserves it.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Redmurty wrote:It is after all an ABR forum so it is going to attract a certain "Alpha type" surely ? "square pegs in round holes" comes to mind.
Rather than being an alpha type, I put my own propensity to travel down to my Romany ancestry as wells as the fact that I work as a creative: always trying to discover new things. As you have noticed many military types on this forum, I have also noticed quite a few designers. ;)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Selous

Post by Selous »

backofbeyond wrote:
*Touring Ted* wrote:Too many to list here but the main ones have been...

Gardener
Games tester for Playstation (yes, it really exists as a job lol)
Motorcycle mechanic
Motorcycle Sales exec

Now i'm back from Africa and unemployed ! Now what ???

Hi Ted. Thought you'd found a job from what you'd said over on the HU site? Don't suppose you'll be signing on though after the earbending you got over there about it being irresponsible to swan off on a "holiday" and then sponge off the state when you get back.:huh: :huh: I was surprised your reply was so polite! I couldn't quite square that circle - how else are you going to do a long trip and if you're not going to be able to get the time off what the hell are you doing on a site like HU. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Don't think you'll be out of work long - and anyway, the huge fee that Alun's paying you for the articles should keep you going for years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did'nt notice your back mate on the HU site, will have to have a read of the above over there.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Selous

Post by Selous »

Left School at 16, became a bootie (R Marine 4 years), transfered, (injured), from Navy to Army & did my 22 while there, got a few wide and varied jobs, my fave was Sniper & Photographer / Lab Rat after training at RAF Cosford (Joint School of Phot), doing various Phot work after traveling around the world I left in 2004.

Now work for HMG as a civil Servant, working alongside the Police, Immigration, Prison Service & Probation Service.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
lmg

Post by lmg »

peejay wrote:30 years of a bit of this and a bit of that.............
those guys still going?
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

OB1 wrote:
Redmurty wrote:It is after all an ABR forum so it is going to attract a certain "Alpha type" surely ? "square pegs in round holes" comes to mind.
Rather than being an alpha type, I put my own propensity to travel down to my Romany ancestry as wells as the fact that I work as a creative: always trying to discover new things. As you have noticed many military types on this forum, I have also noticed quite a few designers. ;)
Excellent point OB1, I had noticed but did not meantion our more creative type, there are many reasons to travel wether it is to test oneself, to educate or just for the hell of riding a bike and it is the last theme that acutally binds this group. At the end of the day we all ride bikes, even if it is just around the corner at weekends or 1000 miles a day for 10 days and lets not forget the guys that do the ultimate "around the world". So the tie that binds us is "the brotherhood of the bike" and long may it remain that way. Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
DRK63

Post by DRK63 »

I work as a Medical Illustrator in a local hospital. This doesnt mean I spend all day drawing but does mean my department provides a photographic, video and graphic service to the hospital. Great job, plenty of variety and a nice warm feeling helping patients!
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by a lone amateur while the Titanic was built by a group of professionals
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

well i feel a bit mundane having been, by and large, in the same career for the last 10 years... i'm a structural engineer by trade, currently working on a rather large, ahem, east london project as a design engineer / resident engineer / temporary works coordinator...

although in my past life before i left NZ (sorry, for those acronym haters, that's New Zealand..) i worked as a farmhand and a commercial beekeeper. i had a paper run at one point too....

by the way if anyone needs a good structural engineer / design manager in the south east let me know because, like a lot of others, my current job is frickn' boring...

B)
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I worked for nearly 13years as a car mechanic. 2 years ago I left to become a full time father/house maid, in order to allow my other half the time to pursue her dream of becoming a Nurse.
Now she works as a health care assistant, while studying for her degree in adult nursing.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

HP7.103.jpg
HP7.103.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
I have my own small company and mainly work on these type of events, red carpet film premiers
(see attached pic)
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander

Return to “THE PUB”