Shiney side up
picos mestizo

Re: Abolish Motorcycle VED/Road Tax

Post by picos mestizo »

Big Dave wrote:Just found this on another forum
thought i'd share it, and try for more signatures

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.g ... ions/36449

BD
Thanks Dave. Posted to a few fellow riders & should get in a few Magazines.
Definately getting right behind this.

Logically there is no arguement against this unless motorcyclists are treated as 2nd class road users!!!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'd do away with road tax (VED) and stick it on the price of fuel so those that use the roads pay for them and foreign registered vehicles being used in the UK would also pay their way. If you want to use a gas guzzler then pay for it and if you want to use something more economical you pay less, you also only pay for the time you're on the road rather than having to pay VED for vehicles only used at weekends.
davsato

Post by davsato »

it'll never happen but ive done it and spread it around my mates. personally ive got no problem paying road tax but the current tariffs are totally unfair. whatever way you look at it, emissions, road damage caused, space taken up, we should be paying a lot less. the current system runs on emissions at the moment doesnt it? with plenty of cars being tax free now, surely many motorbikes can do better than that? paying just on engine size is cobblers, many newer 1000cc bikes will be "cleaner" than most 125cc 2T scoots and stinkwheels
Dave
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

You might as well ask for the moon on a stick.

"Stick it on the price of fuel"? How about leave the price of fuel alone but dont spend billions to upgrade the nuclear deterent but just tell people you have. This should work as it is a deterent and you never actually planned to use it.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Getting a tax (money spinner) abolished. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah righto, Good luck with that one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

AndyB wrote:I'd do away with road tax (VED) and stick it on the price of fuel so those that use the roads pay for them and foreign registered vehicles being used in the UK would also pay their way. If you want to use a gas guzzler then pay for it and if you want to use something more economical you pay less, you also only pay for the time you're on the road rather than having to pay VED for vehicles only used at weekends.
No means of evasion either
Turned out nice again
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

AndyB wrote: I'd do away with road tax (VED) and stick it on the price of fuel so those that use the roads pay for them and foreign registered vehicles being used in the UK would also pay their way. If you want to use a gas guzzler then pay for it and if you want to use something more economical you pay less, you also only pay for the time you're on the road rather than having to pay VED for vehicles only used at weekends.
No means of evasion either
Turned out nice again
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

At least if not get rid of it for motorbikes then put it in line with cars based on emissions, which will lead to manufacturers having to publish standardized fuel consumption figures, in turn leading (hopefully) to more fuel efficient bikes. It's ludicrous that my neighbours Fiat Panda diesel will trundle round with 4 occupants in the dry with the aircon on and still get 80mpg when many bikes get far less.

And do bikes take up less road space? Less width maybe, but given that we don't want some 40 ton truck up our tailpipes and want them to keep a safe braking distance behind us, we're talking about a few feet, not the best of
Happiness has 125cc ...
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Freeloadeur wrote:At least if not get rid of it for motorbikes then put it in line with cars based on emissions, which will lead to manufacturers having to publish standardized fuel consumption figures, in turn leading (hopefully) to more fuel efficient bikes. It's ludicrous that my neighbours Fiat Panda diesel will trundle round with 4 occupants in the dry with the aircon on and still get 80mpg when many bikes get far less.

And do bikes take up less road space? Less width maybe, but given that we don't want some 40 ton truck up our tailpipes and want them to keep a safe braking distance behind us, we're talking about a few feet, not the best of
Agreed. Motorcycling will need to get it's house in order before we can bleat on about environmentally friendly we are. The latest crop of 1200cc adventure bikes have shocking fuel consumption figures - some magaziones state figures in the 30s :blink: and are taxed at the same rate as a G650GS & NC700X which reputedly can return 80mpg+.

Be careful what you wish for. Emissions testing at MoT time? You had better cancel the order on that Akrapovic can...

Jon

Return to “THE PUB”