Is Motorcycling dying?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Will

Re: Is Motorcycling dying?

Post by Will »

I think you are right JB, my son has had bikes since he was 8 competing in trials , when he had 50cc there were about 8 of him and his mates riding when he got 125 there was about 3 , then he got 600cc bike there is only him ????? now he is at uni the fazer was sold and we have got him a drz 400 for some fun when he comes home at 18 the ins is about £400, for car it is £2000 min , mind you we are odd family as my neighbour pointed out !!!!!!!!!!! "nobody has bikes now and you have garage full" but as me my wife and son ride we are in minority ?????????? :woohoo:
Bsa A10
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

I've noticed more people commuting on bikes near me since the recession has taken hold, but they are riding smaller engine bikes from 50cc up to 250ish and then there are those that have got the old bike in the garage as the toy weekend play thing, that have been forced to sell the car or can no longer run it as often and so use the bike more. New bike sales may be down, but second hand bike sales are on the up and that is showing in the increase in sale prices.
Bikes are now becoming too complicated so maintaining them yourself and keeping service bills down is getting difficult or impossible and buying a new bike for most is not an option.

Me personally I will always buy a secondhand bike as they cost a lot less usually and there are plenty of spares going cheap if you pick common brands.

Bike insurance is on the rise, but it is still a lot cheaper for me to insure a bike over a car any day.
I do feel for the young uns who are trying to get their licence and the number of restrictions they face now. It will put people off and I have had people ask me on how to go about getting your licence and I have been baffled by how much it has changed and been made harder to pass.
Safety is paramount, but limiting young people to such a small power and engine size is going to be a kill joy and impractical for some. I heard people age 16-18 I think it was are limited to 28mph on a 50cc bike?! Surely that is more dangerous given the pace that traffic moves on our roads?

More needs to be done to focus on safety whilst still allowing people to have access to bigger engines and power. Why was the whole riding a 125cc bike for two years scrapped?

Policies for the sake of policies?
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Both my grandads had bikes, my dad and 3 uncle's had bikes, I'v had bikes since I was 10,(41 years) but none of my kids (7 of the little *+~#) are intersested, only want a car, because apparently bikes are dangerous and cold/wet.
I think the younger generation are just too soft, now were did I leave my cardy and slippers? :dry:
Elle

Post by Elle »

I agree with JB but the expectations of todays' "youth" is also changing. As Freeloadeur said, many parents swaddle their kids in cotton wool so buying a bike is never considered.

I grew up in the 70s, got a bike in the 80s - it was considered "normal". The majority who attend a bike rally are 40+ who grew up in the same era (wonder what the average age of ABR's is?)

Dealers can't afford to have stock hanging around so it's unsurprising that you have to wait for parts. For servicing, I prefer to use a local mechanic who doesn't have a big flashy (expensive) shop to keep open - it feels friendlier and I don't feel like I've just paid for someones 10 day cruise.

I dread every insurance renewal date. A rant that can wait....
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

If you think its bad now what will it be like in 15-20 years time? the average biker is in their late forties with very little new blood coming through the bike industry in the UK will die. Bike manufacturers have done nothing to encourage youngsters on to bikes. they could have sold youngsters cheap budget starter bikes, discounted insurance and even got involved in cheap training schemes. Andy
DogManStar

Post by DogManStar »

Another aspect to consider is that the "yoof" of today have been influenced by the modding scene, as they are under the misdirection that the louder the exhaust/stereo/paint job is helpful in removing the female of the species clothing.

They are happy to spend what ever disposable income they have on what ever trinket is on offer in halfords, a lot of them are having their parents insure their car in the mothers name and they are named drivers, not saying all but most of them don't declare all the add on's to their insurance company either.

As much fun as riding the bike is, they don't want to be bothered with the safety aspect that is by common sense required I.e helmet, gloves, sturdy boots, decent jacket and trousers, as to them it's not sexy.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Alva Edison (1847 - 1931)
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

My kid's, three Sons have been brought up with bikes as I was in the late sixty's onwards, My dad only had bikes, no cars he didn't have a licence.
I grew up on Triumphs/Norton/Bsa/Royal enfield and more, all had a side car.
I'm in the motorcycle trade and to be honest the header of this thread scares me and I try not to think about it.

Two Sons ride and one Don't, I have been questioned loads from people saying how can you let your sons ride when it's dangerous.
I have said on here life is short and your along time dead.
Teach them well and hope for the best, There is nothing in this world like riding a Bike and now they understand my phrase.

But I agree it's nothing like when I had my SS50 5 speed in 1977, there were masses of young riders, and where are they now,buying Bikes they had back then or superbikes/Tourers/traily's/etc. ( they have money )

Is there a future, well NO, if the suppliers don't make the bikes sound sexy or mimic game stations mad games, NO advertising, there are millions sold in Asia.

You will however see loads of 17 year olds spending thousand on their 1000cc Corsa's and Fords etc, Pimp my ride,driffting mags etc.

Biking to me has lost the Freedom it once had.

The rebel in youngsters today is fleecing a 1000cc car around a town or carpark.
With a grands worth of halfords extras.

We were there 40 yeras ago riding our 50cc bikes with expasion pipe etc.

The best years of my life.

My penny's worth.

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Andysr6 wrote:If you think its bad now what will it be like in 15-20 years time? the average biker is in their late forties with very little new blood coming through the bike industry in the UK will die. Bike manufacturers have done nothing to encourage youngsters on to bikes. they could have sold youngsters cheap budget starter bikes, discounted insurance and even got involved in cheap training schemes. Andy
The manufacturers do, it's called a scooter & most new ones come with an insurance package from the manufacturer included in the price.
The european manufacturers know they can make money out of scooters sold with insurance included but not on motorbikes which are more expensive to make & most kids don't want.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Motorcycling isn't dying in Indonesia.

Yamaha has targeted its 3500 dealers there with selling three million new motorcycles and scooters next year.

But they haven't got a main sponsor for their Moto GP team, so getting Rossi back didn't work out as hoped.

I suspect we'll see more and more Asians riding Moto GP in the future, and more and more Asian team sponsors. And fewer races in Europe. We're waving goodbye to motorcycling until we refocus on more practical and economical machines.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

picos mestizo wrote:
Andysr6 wrote:If you think its bad now what will it be like in 15-20 years time? the average biker is in their late forties with very little new blood coming through the bike industry in the UK will die. Bike manufacturers have done nothing to encourage youngsters on to bikes. they could have sold youngsters cheap budget starter bikes, discounted insurance and even got involved in cheap training schemes. Andy
The manufacturers do, it's called a scooter & most new ones come with an insurance package from the manufacturer included in the price.
The european manufacturers know they can make money out of scooters sold with insurance included but not on motorbikes which are more expensive to make & most kids don't want.
I was just going to raise the scooter thing when you beat me to it Brian, but with a different slant:

Most kids here, including lots of girls, ride scooters from when they're 15 (I think) - it gives them the independence they take for granted here in Spain, whereas in Britain the car culture seems to have taken over completely and young people just can't go out on their own anymore.

OK, so most graduate to cars when they get older. But at least there are two positives: the main one is how many drivers are bike aware, having been on two wheels themselves; second, a certain proportion will graduate to 'real' bikes out of genuine interest when the bike bug bites them.

Meanwhile, city streets are less congested as so many adult workers use bigger scoots to commute - and that's in all climate zones not just near the sunny Mediterranean - and you should see how some of them ride those big scoots at the weekend :)

So we're still talking about recruitment and 'wastage' as on earlier pots, but scooters are one way to feed the recruitment.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “THE PUB”