ArmCo - another needless victim

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Simon_100

ArmCo - another needless victim

Post by Simon_100 »

Bit of a sad one this, sorry.

I've just heard of the death of one of the members of my Spanish trail riding club. A chap named Javi (Javier) whom I me briefly last year at our annual midsummer maniac bash during the fiesta of San Juan (Saint John), when the Spanish really let their hair down!

It seems Javi was out riding with friends near Madrid when he ran out of road on a bend and crashed into some ArmCo - well you can guess the rest.

For information - and a warning I suppose to anyone planning to ride here: in Spain the wretched stuff seems to be growing like weeds along a railway line, polluting the best road sections. Heaven knows where the money is coming from to pay for all this c**p but it just keeps growing.

There have been some famous court cases, including a guy in Catalonia who won a huge indemnity from the regional government after being left paraplegic. As a result so-called 'bike friendly' ArmCo is being retro-fitted and better design is going into new installations. But that's only in Catalonia and only on the roads that the regional government is responsible for, i.e. not the nacional 'N' road or motorways. As far as I know much the rest of Spain is still using the basic suff, leaving the posts exposed ready for us to crash into.

The other hazard is that on minor roads drivers, especially truck drivers, hug the crown of the roads on blind corners more, so as to avoid scraping their precious bodywork - if that sounds angry it's because I don't drive like this and don't really see why anyone else should!

Rant over! But before i go just a few words about Javi, in his honour I suppose, and so that he's not just another statistic - we get too many of these in the news every day and tend to forget that every one is a human tragedy - OK another rant over!

Javi was a young bloke, late twenties, newly married to Elena and with everything to look forward too. He was a Madrileño, like the majority of the club although we live in all the corners of Spain, so at least plenty of support for Elena at the chapel of rest in Madrid.

Although I only knew them briefly it has come as a surprisingly sharp blow - perhaps another reminder of encroaching old age, it's a horrible sadness to recall how many people you've lost down the years, and I'm only 55!

Perhaps it's as well to remember the happy bits:
Imaxi6_2013-02-02.jpg
Imaxi6_2013-02-02.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 924 times
Javi is fifth from the left with his black polo-shirt and Elena hanging around his neck. So, sorry to drop this here but . . .

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Nicko

Re: ArmCo - another needless victim

Post by Nicko »

Condolences to Elena and their families.

In New Zealand they even use a wire type rope on some motorways and corners, the stupidity of the authorities to not think what can happen to motorcyclists.

Regards
Nicko
Gaffer64

Post by Gaffer64 »

Hi Buddy,

Sad news when another biker but really another person passes away unecessarily. At least he died doing something he loved.

Mike G
diver1

Post by diver1 »

Hi Simon,

How sad.................Condolences to both families.

John
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Gaffer64 wrote:Hi Buddy,

Sad news when another biker but really another person passes away unecessarily. At least he died doing something he loved.

Mike G
Thanks Mike. The other point is that he had friends with him - don't know any more details and it would be tactless to ask, but again, you can imagine.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “THE PUB”