Blanking-out Your Bike's Number plate On Photos.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
special one

Re: Blanking-out Your Bike's Number plate On Photos.

Post by special one »

phil90 wrote:As Richard has rightly pointed out. The reason for covering your number plates in pictures is to stop your bikes / cars from being cloned.

Very easy for some scrote to steal a bike and then look for the same model and have a set of plates made. Unless the police have reason to stop them it would look like that bike is registered to a decent law abiding citizen who payed his tax and insurance etc.

Even if they just made a spare plate for when they wanted to get some fuel without paying. This is not paranoia as I've seen it done.
So what's to stop them just looking for the same model in a car park or bike meet?

News flash !!! Cloning will happen whether you cover your plate or not, they get the info they need by any means, I can account for my bikes at all times, so if something does happen I'm confident its nothing that can't be sorted out easily.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Just had a thought.

If we are all going to be shot by the police, why are we bothered about a number plate picture ??

Sorry, I'll get my coat and hat...the tin foil one. :laugh: :laugh:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Minpop wrote:What so every time I park my bike in a car park, on the side of the road or at a bike meet I need to cover up my number plate incase any one decides to take a note of the number.......
You mean you don't do that already? :whistle:

Do bike thieves browse internet forums to find potential targets? I think it'd be easier to just walk past a parking bay with half a dozen bikes in it and take a photo of any bikes that took their fancy after having a look.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I'm not to bothered about my own, as has been said, if someone wants a number, there are a million and one ways to get hold of one, but will normally swirl other peeps in a picture.
I notice in the news recently, that the local plod, have had there permission to use the DVLA data base revoked because of misuse, :huh: and as for having your bike impounded or confiscate by the said plod, even if the CPS finds that there's no case to answer, you still have to pay the storage fees :angry: , so a fine by proxy. :ohmy:
All that said, the plod down here ( Surrey ) have 3 Husqvarna which they have use to patrol the lanes ( I know, what a gig :laugh: ), and every time I've meet them always nice as pie, :)
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Removed.
phil90

Post by phil90 »

special one wrote:
phil90 wrote:As Richard has rightly pointed out. The reason for covering your number plates in pictures is to stop your bikes / cars from being cloned.

Very easy for some scrote to steal a bike and then look for the same model and have a set of plates made. Unless the police have reason to stop them it would look like that bike is registered to a decent law abiding citizen who payed his tax and insurance etc.

Even if they just made a spare plate for when they wanted to get some fuel without paying. This is not paranoia as I've seen it done.
So what's to stop them just looking for the same model in a car park or bike meet?

News flash !!! Cloning will happen whether you cover your plate or not, they get the info they need by any means, I can account for my bikes at all times, so if something does happen I'm confident its nothing that can't be sorted out easily.
The topic says why do you blank out your number plate on photos not why do you remove your number plate in a car park and my response is because its to try and stop people cloning your bike. If I cover my number plate on a picture it will stop it being cloned....
------ Dress for the slide, not the ride -------
special one

Post by special one »

That's a bold statement that Phil, so you're saying if you cover up your plate on pics posted on the net, you will never run the risk of being cloned?
Current bikes...

snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Is it me or are people going out of their way to start arguments :(

if you cover your plate all well and good

In the UK a vehicle is allocated a registration, so if someone was to steal a GS1200 in Scotland and borrow the plate from a bike he knows is in Cornwall because the owner has published all his details in the net, the likelihood of said scroat getting pulled are virtually nil,

Here in Germany every borough has its own licence plate when a veh from a far off borough turns up it sticks out of the crowd. If you move to a different borough you have to re-register the vehicle.
Saying that I still photoshop my plate, why shouldn't I....
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

special one

Post by special one »

Nope it's not starting arguments it's a discussion, nobody is getting abusive or anything.

I don't really care if people do disguise their plates or not, what I'm discussing is the reason for it, by not showing your plate online will NOT exclude you from any cloning or criminal activity regarding that vehicle as criminals do not exclusively look for plates on vehicles online, they can get as many as they want from any city no bother.

Now if you were posting a pic of a rare vehicle where there is a high value due to rarity I could accept that as the opportunities for criminals to obtain these vehicles would be greatly reduced so the risk would be higher.

But most of the mere mortals on here will have fairly common vehicles which can be found in any city without much hassle, including dealerships, car parks, sitting in a high street coffee shop etc etc.

So relax, the risk is low :)
Current bikes...

Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Round our way we get a lot of trouble with the rambliars wanting to shut rights of way. They can access our forum and could be malicious by noting numberplates in ride reports and photos and providing police etc with bike number plates and descriptions. Therefore most of us blank these out of photos.
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award

Return to “THE PUB”