Spinal Tap Moment

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OB1

Spinal Tap Moment

Post by OB1 »

I see that Bryn has had a bit of a Spinal Tap moment in issue 2 of ABR on page 19.

The text that accompanies the piece about the "tallest" bike in the world states that it is 11"3 tall! :lol: Not only that but it is 20"4 long! That is incredible - 11 inches tall and 20 inches long!

I know that I'm being picky, but in this world when kids are leaving school with only a smattering of English in their diction, I like to hold my head up high and say "I am a pedant". And before you lot come round our way with pitch forks and flaming torches, that just means I'm pedantic! :woohoo: :blink:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Sprockette

Re: Spinal Tap Moment

Post by Sprockette »

I'd have to join you in the fight for grammar, although I find my own lacking on occasion. But in the typo wars I'd have to surrender, my fingers are like thumbs sometimes.
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

So come on then, when should I use a semi-colon? ;) :evil: :)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Lancastermick wrote:So come on then, when should I use a semi-colon? ;) :evil: :)
"21 riders started the race; only 10 finished"

To join two related sentences that could otherwise stand alone :side:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Please Sir,
I thought that a sentence began on a new line, and that capitol letters were used to either start the same, or were used in person or place names.
Also I'm quite sure that we never start a sentence with the word 'and'.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
OB1

Post by OB1 »

mark1150 wrote:Also I'm quite sure that we never start a sentence with the word 'and'.
I know... :P That was there to catch people out! :blush:
justrtw.com
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Lancastermick wrote:So come on then, when should I use a semi-colon? ;) :evil: :)
When you need to push a pooh out. ;)
Alun

Post by Alun »

Bryn is now in possession of his P45.

And speaking of grammar, one of the things we had to decide for ABR was the 'tone' of the text. Should we go with a strict interpretation of the Queen's English or adopt a voice that more reflected the way you would talk to your mates down the pub. We went for the latter and Emily (sub editor) does not sub out colloquialisms or minor breaches of grammar and sentence structure, just so long as it reads well and the meaning is not lost. It gives the writer far more of a 'voice'.

One of the best tips for anyone who enjoys writing is this; 'if you can't imagine saying it then don't write it'.

We'll be adopting strict grammar regulations when we launch 'Adventure Maths Texbook Volume 1'
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Alun wrote:Bryn is now in possession of his P45.

And speaking of grammar, one of the things we had to decide for ABR was the 'tone' of the text. Should we go with a strict interpretation of the Queen's English or adopt a voice that more reflected the way you would talk to your mates down the pub. We went for the latter and Emily (sub editor) does not sub out colloquialisms or minor breaches of grammar and sentence structure, just so long as it reads well and the meaning is not lost. It gives the writer far more of a 'voice'.

One of the best tips for anyone who enjoys writing is this; 'if you can't imagine saying it then don't write it'.

We'll be adopting strict grammar regulations when we launch 'Adventure Maths Texbook Volume 1'
I must say I am one of those people who finds it hard to write as I would speak, I mean where do you get a bleedin cockney keyboard from for a start Guv?
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
davsato

Post by davsato »

ere we cd rite d.mag asiff it txtg innit? {;o)

probably get a goverment grant for attracting 'yoof' into biking, and get shut down by the police for attracting 'yoof' into biking.
Dave

Return to “THE PUB”