French Win.....

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
MadRat

French Win.....

Post by MadRat »

Latest from MAG...

We've just heard that the French interior Minister Emmanuel Valls has decided to withdraw the 150 square centimetre hi-viz rule.

Apparently he has acknowledged the protests from riders and that there really isn't any basis for the move.

MAG highlighted a few months ago, that apart from setting a dangerous precedent and creating the possibility that responsibility for accidents could be automatically shifted toward those riders not wearing the hi-viz as required, the French Government had also found itself in possible breach of a Directive which stipulated minimum quantities of hi-viz IF hi-viz was being prescribed.

If you read French:
http://motomag.com/Derniere-minute-Emma ... tards.html

--
Paddy Tyson
Campaigns Coordinator
Motorcycle Action Group
www.mag-uk.org
01926 844064
davsato

Re: French Win.....

Post by davsato »

im not a dayglo power ranger myself, but i thought that was one of the more sensible rules they were trying to bring in.
Dave
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

davsato wrote:im not a dayglo power ranger myself, but i thought that was one of the more sensible rules they were trying to bring in.
Hi. Davasto.

I would ask yourself this: Why should you be held responsible for others shortcomings?

Any anti Motorcycle legislation that gets rejected is good.

Wear what you like but not have it forced on you.

All the best man.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Common sence prevails again French style B)

if they cant see me on my bike with headlight full police hiviz jacket and white screen they have no hope of spotting a small square...

as we have all ways said if they aint looking you could be in a tank and they wouldnt notice..
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

There never was any French requirement for hi-viz.

It's a myth.

There was a requirement for a small area of reflective material (brassard réfléchissant, which translates as reflective (arm) banding) to be worn. The reflective piping/stripes found in most modern motorcycle jackets would have sufficed.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Richard Simpson wrote:There never was any French requirement for hi-viz.

It's a myth.

There was a requirement for a small area of reflective material (brassard réfléchissant, which translates as reflective (arm) banding) to be worn. The reflective piping/stripes found in most modern motorcycle jackets would have sufficed.
....and the idea was to make a rider more visible if he was lying in the road after falling off his 1,200cc bike. He'd survive long ebnough to buy another and contribute greatly too the tax revenue of France :laugh: .

125 riders would be spending less to replace their bikes so they were less important and didn't need to survive :side: .

It's hard to argue that the reflective patch is a bad idea in itself. The bit I object to is the sinister underhand transfer of blame/resting on laurels which inevitably follows such a rule.

Jon
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Richard Simpson wrote:There never was any French requirement for hi-viz.

It's a myth.

Errr.... That is High Viz.... :)
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

No it isn't

Hi viz = fluorescent

Reflective is, well, reflective!
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Richard Simpson wrote:No it isn't

Hi viz = fluorescent

Reflective is, well, reflective!
Strewth man.... High_vis can be Reflective or Fluorescent or Day glo... Or probably other.

Does it really matter?
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I personally cant stand the fluorescent hi viz, i think is its an eyesore and it doesnt even stand out any more as the general public seems to have an obsession with wearing it. :angry:

Each to their own though...

Return to “THE PUB”