COURIERS: Life on a bike.........

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
father zed

COURIERS: Life on a bike.........

Post by father zed »

Sparked by corbine mentioning having worked as a courier on a different thread,

I thought I'd see who else had done this ? ? ?

Always struck me as an interesting way to make a living - and probably nicer
than being stuck in a boring office every day?

I don't know if there's as much call for them now, what with us living in the age
of the interweb .......... but you do still see them about .... perhaps
it's mainly Londidinum and Birmingham now ? ?

Anyway... any interesting tales out there ? ?

Anybody else wondered about doing this for a living ? ?

:)
Frustrated Nomad :-) (but one day, things will change)
father zed

Re: COURIERS: Life on a bike.........

Post by father zed »

See this thread is going to be another roaring success :laugh:
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

I still see a fair few of them around on the way to work in London, even get the occasional nod because the top box and hi viz. Can't be a pleasant way to make a living though, the traffic here is crazy. Often see bikes with little Brasil flag stickers on them, so i guess the demographic is changing too.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Now pull up a chair :laugh: , I did it for a while, and there are two main types, first you have the postcode couriers, which are manly use in the city and for some reason unknown to me, they seem to be mainly from Brazil and other South American country's.
I never did get my head around how they managed to get the correct insurance, as there all on 125cc with L plates ( properly the same as pizza delivery I suppose :laugh: ).
But they tend to do allot of delivery's, so that a lot of lid on lid off, as you can not make a pick up with your lid on even if it's a flip face :huh: .
The second type is the distance courier,which is what I did and as you can imagine when its lovely and sunny and coming back over some great roads :) , you just think life don't get better than this,as you pull up to a country pub for a overnight stay, few beers, meet new people, great food, and so on, or around a mates house, much cheaper :laugh: .
On the other hand, when your coming out of Kent and there's ice on the roads and the wind is whipping the snow sideways, you've got more layers on then the Michelin man :laugh: , you know when its cold, when you think I'll put the heated grips on and there already on :huh: :laugh: .
There's a great camaraderie within the courier community, if you know the right cafes :) .
The trick is to get as many collections going the same way, as you get paid per item, per trip.
The Nemesis of the Courier is boredom :angry: there's allot of waiting around, and then its rush,rush,rush :laugh: .

The best day I ever had was -

Set off from Gatwick - Brighton - swindon - Fleetwood - Shefield - Grimby - Leicester - Home, it took about 15hours, I was on an old style Honda Deauville 650cc.
I'll see if I can dig out some pics, The old Deauville is living its retirement in a Bike training center in Bournmouth :) .
corbine

Post by corbine »

ok father -asap dispatch, starcross, devon 1980's. was in military at time 8 on 5 off at hms drake down guzz. on days off did couriering to pay for biking. used various bikes, most cost effective for me then and as a fun bike? was a yam xj900 shaft drive. fairing wasnt great. got nicked a few times and banned a couple. mainly long distance work- passports to airports in a rush. tnt deliveries from exeter, telegramms during post strikes. anything that fitted on bike went anywhere.
waterproofs? waterproofs and gloves back then? rubbish- especially when up to 18 hours on bike and rain the whole time. it was love hate at times. some days after crashing was never sure if wanted to see another bike again.
once its in your blood tho.........
:-)
corbine

Post by corbine »

stewie-heated grips mate? you lucky lucky..... always had to get back same day from wherever, even glasgow. insurance was expensive and yes so many couriers didnt have correct insurance :-)
filtering past traffic and cars suddenly pulling out or doing u turns was another catch you out last second.
the days before mobiles :-) pull up find a phone box. a 303 exeter to london, flashing same old couriers coming from london, mainly cx500 and cx 650 euros's? panniers back then? slim line for filtering, mainly top box jobs. exhausts all taped up till they fell off. black diesel lines around neck from the crud off fumes/roads :-)
father zed

Post by father zed »

Interesting!

Would surely make a great back-drop for a well written sitcom :)

There were the 'Texas Rangers' in Boon....

But truth be said, that was a bit dull ...

:)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

A mate of mine used a CX500 or was it the 550!, but anyway, he could have the engine out repaired in about 20 minutes :laugh: and all that on the side of a B road somewhere :laugh: .
You still see allot of Yamaha shaft 900cc and the Chain 600cc on the circuit.
Makes me laugh, that you can use the bus lane all the way up the A23/A3 from Coulsdon - Elephant & Castle, apart from a 200 meter section, and guess where the camera is :angry:
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

!986 - 1991

Capital Parcels: we had main office in Croydon, plus West End, City, Lewisham, Barking & Gatwick, so plenty of runs linking all of them. Regular runs to Brighton with BACS tapes. Pickups from Hospitals in all directions, going back to Royal Marsden for Cancer Research. Mad contracts with a Brewery, collecting paperwork from all their tied house pubs every day for a month before Christmas.

Use many bikes, CB250RS, XT500, Kwak GT750, Suzuki GS400 & even my XS650 as a last resort.

Whenever you seemed to be making some money, the bikes would eat it all up in spares & repairs. Was an experience that I'm glad I had, but never again! :blink:
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
father zed

Post by father zed »

Ahhh ... those Kwak GT750s .....

Absolutely bomb proof ..... 550 not bad either..... :)

Return to “THE PUB”