Got pulled by two nice policemen

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

I've read lots on filtering and I'm sure I came across this scenario in an earlier post but thought I'd share it with you 'cos I cant find it.

There is a long road out of Leeds with those little islands in the middle, cars dont leave enough room to get between car and island so I've been going round outside of islands on opposite carriageway when it's clear and safe to do so. Flashing blue lights pulled me over. told me it's illegal, 3 points or a trip to the magistrates.... :( After chatting about the bike, how long i've had it, reasons for having it etc. etc, they let me off with a warning and no further action, thank you much appreciated :) and no, I won't do it again. :ohmy:
Richard Simpson

Re: Got pulled by two nice policemen

Post by Richard Simpson »

the 'little islands' usually have a 'keep left' arrow on them.

They are there for pedestrian safety, I believe.

Most UK coppers are OK, providing you haven't done something really stupid and are polite when they pull you up.
hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Richard Simpson wrote:the 'little islands' usually have a 'keep left' arrow on them.

They are there for pedestrian safety, I believe.

Most UK coppers are OK, providing you haven't done something really stupid and are polite when they pull you up.
yep looked closely today and they have arrows pointing left, my fault, fair do's, the coppers were pretty aggressive to start with but I think that is cos they dont know what they are about to encounter, when I was ok with them they were ok with me and I was lucky that they let me off with a warning.
ktmpedro220

Post by ktmpedro220 »

Like a few, not most bods will say. Unless you do something really stupid and are arrogant when pulled. A lot of cops will give you a telling off. You'll always get one or two on both sides. Lucky though!! Lol!
davsato

Post by davsato »

yep, its a no no. same for painted on chevron islands with unbroken lines.
if you imagine solid white lines and islands are 10' high walls, you can overtake if you can squeeze past but no part of you or the bike should cross the line. bit like TRON lightcycles! you can get away with a lot of things but white lining is a red rag to a bull for coppers, as its dangerous.

cops in noddy cars have some leeway, but proper traffic cars especially the unmarked ones have everything they do and see recorded digitally as evidence with the driver having no control over it at all, and simply cant let you off if its been recorded.
Dave
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

davsato wrote:
the unmarked ones have everything they do and see recorded digitally as evidence with the driver having no control over it at all, and simply cant let you off if its been recorded.
......unless it is is being filmed for police camera action in which case even the most numpty crap drivers seem to get away with just a friendly chat.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

Cops have discretion. Whether filmed or not, traffic car or beat car.
Solid white lines must not be crossed. You can ride alongside it with half the bike and half of you effectively over it but as long as the wheels are not over it, you are fine. They are there for safety. Knobbers on two or four wheels who cross them deserve a ticket IMHO
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

the answer is Take th'engine of your bike, add a bell. wear lyrca and ignore all the rules with impunity.
The same scenario in Manc' seen every day, but cyclist seem to ignore traffic lights, stop signs, traffic bollards. If fact your log book states that you are riding a bicycle
so stick behind one of em. What good for the goose and all that.

:lol: :blink: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Road2Manchester wrote:the answer is Take th'engine of your bike, add a bell. wear lyrca and ignore all the rules with impunity.
The same scenario in Manc' seen every day, but cyclist seem to ignore traffic lights, stop signs, traffic bollards. If fact your log book states that you are riding a bicycle
so stick behind one of em. What good for the goose and all that.

:lol: :blink: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Good idea, I often see bikers in Norwich filtering to the front of traffic lights in the cycle only lane, what`s good for the goose etc :whistle: :evil:
markyt

Post by markyt »

all coppers have discretion but theres no doubt if your polite and courteous most coppers will be the same. Traffic officers do however have targets to hit so youll always get more leeway from divisional response officers than you will traffic or anpr teams.
The worrying thing is with cutbacks alot of traffic officers have been disbanded so traffic offences will creep up leading to more KSI's which leads to more on the insurance. What goes around comes around as they say

Return to “THE PUB”