British sport !

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
Andy A

British sport !

Post by Andy A »

Sam Sunderland, awesome.......British sport is probably in the best place it has been for decades, world No 1 tennis, fantastic results in the Olympics and the first ever British winner of the Dakar, another race which I think has some comparisons to the Dakar in terms of exhaustion, stamina and I think maybe needing even more mental strength and determination is the Vendee Globe. After sailing around the world, solo for 70 days now, with just a few days and 1200 miles left to go Alex Thompson is just 95 miles behind the Armel la cleac'h, the french leader and at the moment doing 23 knots to the frenchman's20. Thompson broke a foil in the southern ocean and at his worst was 900nm behind but has fought back brilliantly. The Vendee Globe has only ever been won by a french man and they make up 3/4 of the fleet. Hopefully he will be able to reel Armel in and become another awesome British champion. (thumbs)
halfpint

Re: British sport !

Post by halfpint »

british sport is only any good when you are as boring as andy murry or take drugs to improve the outcome wiggins. then you may be asked on sportsperson of the year. most of the rest fall by the wayside , pure hard effort is not engough. they would rather comment on hair style than admit they are over paid football wankers . so lets start to see who the elite sportsmen are !! bbc news some bloke won a race on a bike more details to follow, beckham make new line of underware ,,,, you know who will win!
IainD

Post by IainD »

WTF.

British Tennis no.1, but English Dakar winner!

Surely it is either a British Tennis no.1 and Dakar Winner or a Scottish Tennis no.1 and an English Dakar Winner?

Give us a break, we have only ALL been British for 300 odd years....

No need to wonder why there is an independence debate still ongoing with statements like that?

Alex Thompson is Welsh, or maybe he will be British if he wins?
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

english dakar scottish tennis at least he was happy to win the dakar have you ever seen murry smile?
gbags

Post by gbags »

halfpint wrote:british sport is only any good when you are as boring as andy murry or take drugs to improve the outcome wiggins. then you may be asked on sportsperson of the year. most of the rest fall by the wayside , pure hard effort is not engough. they would rather comment on hair style than admit they are over paid football wankers . so lets start to see who the elite sportsmen are !! bbc news some bloke won a race on a bike more details to follow, beckham make new line of underware ,,,, you know who will win!
What utter bollocks.

You clearly haven't seen England rugby.

6 Nations Grand Slam.
Whitewashed the Ozzies in Oz
They've won every single game they played this year.
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

yes but they already put that on tv and give it great coverage , its how it is . some sports that we are great at but never get noticed ....... dakar sailing muff diving . lead the way put the great in britain not keep on about football or cricket , who plays that we had world champs in motorcycle racing it all about money .
Andy A

Post by Andy A »

There there Iain, I have changed it for you, i hope you feel better, it was supposed to be a positive thought on the British sport at the moment, didn't mean to cause offence or for it to be turned into yet another flipping independence thread.

Getting back to the point I think historically football, cricket running etc have always been accessible to the masses and so attracted a big audience, unfortunately motorsport, sailing etc are quite elitist due to the cost of participation. having said that I think these days more effort should be made to include more on mainstream TV, unfortunately though we are in a minority and would always lose on viewing figures to i'm not a celebrity so am eating worms.
IainD

Post by IainD »

halfpint wrote:english dakar scottish tennis at least he was happy to win the dakar have you ever seen murry smile?
AndyMurraySmiling.JPG
AndyMurraySmiling.JPG (34.88 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
:) :cheer: :P (thumbs)
IainD

Post by IainD »

Andy A wrote:There there Iain, I have changed it for you, i hope you feel better, it was supposed to be a positive thought on the British sport at the moment, didn't mean to cause offence or for it to be turned into yet another flipping independence thread.

Getting back to the point I think historically football, cricket running etc have always been accessible to the masses and so attracted a big audience, unfortunately motorsport, sailing etc are quite elitist due to the cost of participation. having said that I think these days more effort should be made to include more on mainstream TV, unfortunately though we are in a minority and would always lose on viewing figures to i'm not a celebrity so am eating worms.
Hi Andy,

Being half English (Yorkshire) and half Scottish (Ayrshire) I know it often isn't meant, however the way many English folk are happy to describe GB as England is a tad annoying sometimes. I have cousins down south who still think England won the war.

As for Minority Sports on TV / in papers, I totally agree. I shoot clays; ever heard of George Digweed MBE? He has won 26 (maybe more) World Championships. You have to dig very deep to find any coverage. Mind you watching him shoot wouldn't make good TV, he hardly ever misses....

Sailing is becoming fairly accessible, we have the Scottish Sailing Centre near us and it is well used.

Cheers
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

looks like he just farted ,but it was for team GB

Return to “HEROES”