All the Gear No Idea

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
Andy H

All the Gear No Idea

Post by Andy H »

I read with interest the article on the front web page 7 Ways to Upgrade Your Green Laning Set up, the article is gear focussed: which boots, helmets, body armour, bike protection etc. all very valid points but one point I believe should have been added is rider training.

Yep I’m guilty, I’ve been riding my KTM 990 down green lanes for the past few years and to be honest each time I’ve ventured “off road” it has been with some trepidation so much so I invested in a CCM 404 to ride the trails rather than risk it on the big bike, the advice I received when addressed the issue of Training at my local TRF group was “You just need more saddle time”.

Well two months ago I decided I wanted to ride the 990 in a KTM sprint at the Adventure Bike Academy at Sweet lamb Rally complex in Mid wales, I contacted Mark Molineux who runs the academy, bit the bullet and booked a training weekend and what a weekend it turned out to be, starting to ride the 990 off road under the guidance of Mark proved a to be revelation.
During the weekend we covered basic bike control, use of the brakes & power, body position, weighting the pegs reading the terrain and a host of other essential skills taught in a manner that ensured I fully understood the techniques and how and when to apply them and to be honest it is the best money I have ever spent on my biking my only regret is I didn’t do it years ago.

The set up at the Adventure Bike Academy with a world class training facility, a bunk house and garage facilities, combined with training that was totally professional is to be commended and highly recommended. Before anyone thinks I am linked to the academy I’m not, I am just a very satisfied customer who has learnt the value of professional training that has given me the skills and confidence to take my big bike off road and in doing so has increased my biking enjoyment.

Sorry for the long post but I feel very strongly about how professional training has transformed my enjoyment of our sport.
Nyxlexica

Re: All the Gear No Idea

Post by Nyxlexica »

The article did suffer from a narrow focus. That said, the effectiveness of training is more subjective than anything it mentioned. Sounds like you had a great time, but personally I'd get grouchy at speed if I had to put up with instruction.

Return to “HEROES”