Iron Butt, etc

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
stinger77

Re: Iron Butt, etc

Post by stinger77 »

rodyorkabr wrote:I did an Iron Butt 1000mile in 24hrs in aid of the RBL(Poppy Appeal) a while back, along with my wife and a few friends. Great time.
http://www.rblr1000.co.uk/

...just reading it though, it suggests this years 2015 has been cancelled.
Did that a year or so ago, the northern route Squires Cafe to Wick. Made it with twenty minutes to spare, and we didn't think we stopped that often. They've cancelled this years one, to work out new routes for next year and are looking to have 500 miler events as well. Its a long day but worth it.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Great story Spud. At what point did you decide you were riding all the way home?

I find the key to distance riding is taking proper and regular breaks. I say every hour or the next services/cafe/opportunity after the hour, so 90 minutes at worst, so that's every 50 miles on country roads, or every 75-80 miles on motorways.

The last 500 mile day I did was 12 hours on the road, so lets say I did 65 miles between stops on average, then 500 miles gets split into 7 legs, with 6 stops, and 9 hours actual riding time.

That means I spent 3 hours stationary taking breaks or eating meals, or average of 30 minutes per stop.

After a day like that I'll sleep well for sure, but I don't feel knackered out either physically or mentally.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
lmg

Post by lmg »

I've done several of the IBA rides and the Brit Butt Rally. The latters minimum distance isnt made known until the event (or wasnt in the past). There are a variety of IBA rides which can be done - the shortest I believe is the End2End (John O'Groats to Lands End), then there is a SaddleSore1000 (SS1000) which is to be done in 24hours or less. The 1500 miles trips are called BunBurners - the BB1500 is to be done in 36hours whereas the BBGold is 1500 miles in 24hrs and is really only possible on motorways. And it keeps going - SS2000/2500/3000/etc. you can just keep going.

I find them pointless now as the cost of fuel is really prohibitive and the rides are pretty much just riding the main roads of the UK rather than enjoying the ride.

The Brit Butt Rally is quite an experience - at least you get to see something other than tarmac motorways.

If you want a challenge - and get to see oddities around the UK - try the Round Britain Rally. Much more enjoyable imo.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

-Ralph- wrote:Great story Spud. At what point did you decide you were riding all the way home?

I find the key to distance riding is taking proper and regular breaks. I say every hour or the next services/cafe/opportunity after the hour, so 90 minutes at worst, so that's every 50 miles on country roads, or every 75-80 miles on motorways.

The last 500 mile day I did was 12 hours on the road, so lets say I did 65 miles between stops on average, then 500 miles gets split into 7 legs, with 6 stops, and 9 hours actual riding time.

That means I spent 3 hours stationary taking breaks or eating meals, or average of 30 minutes per stop.

After a day like that I'll sleep well for sure, but I don't feel knackered out either physically or mentally.
By the time I got to Northern France and could smell the channel, and the weather had not cleared up that much. Would I do it again yes but as I said I would rest more and get some sleep even if it was only half hour cat naps. I was engrossed in the mental aspect of the trip until I got to tired to function properly. I think if I had gotten some food in me when I actually wanted it I would of been better.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Ralph,
Dont care what the route is or distance go any where me, also we can get some pennies togehter for your lass

steve

Return to “HEROES”