Iron Butt, etc

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
leo-david

Re: Iron Butt, etc

Post by leo-david » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 am

Hi Ralph, I have done the Brit Butt Rally the last two years and booked in for this year.
You can find info about the rally here: www.britbuttrally.info

If your looking to do a charity IBA ride I doubt the rally is what you are looking for. The Brit Butt rally is set over 36 hours with no minimum distance. Its a scatter rally where you get a list of bonus locations and the idea is to get as many points as possible by visiting the locations in the allotted time. The first year I rode 1500 miles last year 1200. Great experience and fun.

If you are looking to do a set ride there are as people have said an SS1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) and a BB1500 (1500 miles in 36 hours) There are lots more rides you can do and get verified by the IBA by keeping fuel receipts. See the main IBA website for more info www.ironbutt.co.uk

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
fullerton

Post by fullerton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 pm

-Ralph- wrote:I'm looking to do a long distance/endurance event this year to raise money for my niece

http://adventurebikerider.com/forum/9-t ... lking.html

I've seen the BritButt Rally 2015 on the 23rd/24th March.

http://www.britbuttrally.info/2015-rally/4536408237

It says it's 36 hours but doesn't say much about minimum distance, etc

Anyone do these kind of things and can offer some advice?

Any other events I should be considering?
Ralph

Let me know if you want any company i love stuff like this, last one was a day trip to malaga for charity, but best not talk about the details to much mr plod.

pm me.

Steve

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:53 pm

you don't have to upset Mr plod to cover 1000 miles in 24 hours, less is more sometimes (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

fullerton

Post by fullerton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Redmurty wrote:you don't have to upset Mr plod to cover 1000 miles in 24 hours, less is more sometimes (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
but you wont get there with less, 1000 miles would have only got me to Burgos, and its more fun.

But if anyone else is up for a day with Ralph could be a right laugh and get to know a few faces and raise a few more pennies

steve

fullerton

Post by fullerton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Redmurty wrote:STEEL SPHINCTER OR NOT QUITE AN IRON BUTT
It’s 10 am its Thursday 2nd of June I’m at the foot hill of the Pyrenees for a four day bike festival, a 1000 miles from home and its bloody cold, I’m a short distance from the Med and I am shivering, how’s that work then?
The forecast was for continued high winds and low level snow on the mountain, not quite what I was hoping for on my first visit to the area, I had dreamed of four days of mountains, hairpins and history.
So after one day I have decided to head out. My plan was to head north and out of the bad weather and find some decent roads and some warmth; the longest distance I had ridden in a day to date was 500 miles so was comfortable with the thought of doing that distance to find the sun.
I had left Perpignan behind and headed for Narbonne keeping the Med to my right; because of the cold weather I did not fancy dipping my toes in. Beziers came and went and in heavy rain. I climbed on and up to the Des Grand’s Causses, this road was truly amazing for the view up the gorge and the amount of water running down it, I could not see the white lines it was that deep.
Further north the Millau Bridge which on first view seems to hover over the Gorge Du Tarn was jaw droppingly stunning as the white superstructure seemed to leap towards the heavens whilst contrasting sharply against the leaden skies above; the Gorge and its population of Vultures meandered below whose beauty is yet unchallenged with anything else I have seen.
As I climbed onto the Massif Central (which rose to 1100 metres plus) several bikers blasted past, (doing exactly what I would normally do,) at my next stop which I had decided would be every 200 miles; I saw said bikes parked up. Comfort break over, bike and myself refuelled I headed out only to be over taken by the same bikes within 30 minutes, they were there again at the next fuel stop it seemed as if they were spending more time at each break only to have to make it up on the road again.
I would usually cruise in the region of 85 when trying to cover distance but I had been told to try and cruise at 65 to 70 by a mate who had done several “Ironbutt”rides, so I did just that but at first I was itching to wind the throttle on a little more. At 70 I found I was able to soak up the scenery and had time to mull things over.
From the Massif Central onto Nevers and through Orleans I’m now into the early evening and the outskirts of Paris. I am feeling surprisingly fresh, and the weather had not improved as I hoped it would, but I am having fun darting in and out of the traffic as I rode on into the sunset.
I continued north as complete darkness fell, although my lights were good I had decided they needed to be better. At fuel and tea stops I had now started to eat Kendal mint cake to keep my concentration and blood sugar and levels up.
As my journey into the unknown continued and the mileage grew I found myself turning inwards, whether this was just the darkness or the fatigue or a combination of both I did not know, I started to disassociate with what I was doing although, somehow I was fully aware of the bike the road and the ride.
The channel came and went and I had been travelling for some 15 hours now and the mental dissociation was growing deeper and I seemed to be floating alongside myself watching myself ride my machine. This meditative or was it a vegetative state was very intriguing and I was fully absorbed with the process. I was aware of a part of my brain being rationale and trying to work it all out. I was longing for the sun to rise as I wanted it to fill my soul and warm my skin. I could see the eastern horizon slowly lightening.
I stopped at Oxford services (this is where I should have rested for longer) to get some food unfortunately none was available so a mug of tea later I decided that I would continue north and not refuel here but at the next services as that would force me to have another break and hopefully some food. But my fuel light came on just as I joined the M42, I looked around for the services only to miss the exit, (this is where my fatigued state was giving my decision making a good kicking), I nearly rode up the “on ramp” in panic even though I knew there would be services further on, I could not even do the math to work out how far I could go on reserve.
This is where I really became aware of my tiredness and pulled off at the next exit only to find a service station within half a mile unfortunately or fortunately it was closed, I parked the bike up and sat down to wait the arrival of the staff, I woke up in full sunlight not realising I had fallen asleep. I stopped a guy who was cycling past and asked him where the next service station was; I refuelled and finished the last 30 minute ride home,
Some 19 hours and 955 miles later, I had learnt the following;-
I can do distance, it’s a mental as well as a physical thing.
A short weekend in Scotland will now be a possibility
Across a continent is now feasible
I need to hydrate and eat regularly
I need to go slower to go further
Going a 1000 miles south does not guarantee you better weather than north Wales
And possibly the most important thing, rest sooner and more before it is too late.

Cheers Spud ;)
spud funny you mention the missed exit bit, when i got off the bike in el coto fuengerola i felt like i could have turned around and gone back but i could not feel the floor and felt like i was in suspension but felt great on the bike.
Coming across france after my nicking, was keeping the speed around 140 to maximize fuel stops yet cover the ground, but found over the last 5 hours my speed was all over the place but you think you are ok.
i think my problem even in May with full leathers i was not drinking as much as i dont any way, so lesson learnt dont, do it again and use a camel pack

cover distance now with the missus on the back, so 100 mile stops for coffee it is then Jan

steve

fullerton

Post by fullerton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 pm

whoa spud just read the last bit, think 1k south edges the bets on a wet weekend in wales lol

steve

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:28 pm

fullerton wrote:whoa spud just read the last bit, think 1k south edges the bets on a wet weekend in wales lol

steve
Snow down to 1200 feet, howling gale blowing, pishing down all the way back to Paris and then got sun burnt on Snowdon the weekend I got back :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

fullerton

Post by fullerton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm

ha ha, know the feeling came back from andorra in sept 99, (harley sportster) got up in the morning loverly, 2 hrs later following the snow plough back in to france for rain like ive never seen, back in blighty sweating me tads off

steve

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Hey Spud, you should write a book, enjoyed reading that (thumbs)

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:19 pm

fullerton wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:I'm looking to do a long distance/endurance event this year to raise money for my niece

http://adventurebikerider.com/forum/9-t ... lking.html

I've seen the BritButt Rally 2015 on the 23rd/24th March.

http://www.britbuttrally.info/2015-rally/4536408237

It says it's 36 hours but doesn't say much about minimum distance, etc

Anyone do these kind of things and can offer some advice?

Any other events I should be considering?
Ralph

Let me know if you want any company i love stuff like this, last one was a day trip to malaga for charity, but best not talk about the details to much mr plod.

pm me.

Steve
Nice one, will PM you once I know what we are doing. It's a bit of a minefield TBH, and the different websites don't seem great at explaining the simple things, like what date, what's the route, how long, how much. It seems most of them you just sort it out yourself as you see fit, and if you meet certain criteria you send off your reciepts and stuff and get an award.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “HEROES”