R.I.P. 2014. Dave Bickers Europe. scrambles champion 1954/5 - Drino Miller Baha 1000 Champion 1970.

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
picos mestizo

R.I.P. 2014. Dave Bickers Europe. scrambles champion 1954/5 - Drino Miller Baha 1000 Champion 1970.

Post by picos mestizo »

Dave was a hero of mine when he was The Greeves works rider during my teenage years. We became riding buddies when I met him @ a vintage rally in Spain (Picos Mountains ) a few years back. We regularly rode the Essex lanes together with a few other old codgers. A couple of years ago he had a Triple bypass & carried on riding having made a full recovery. Earlier this year he had a fatal stroke. A smashing guy who kept the motorcycle twinkle in his eye & helped every wayside breakdown he came across. R.I.P. your riding mates toast you everytime they meet. I also met Drino Miller every year in Spain where he loved to ride having to travel all the way from L.A. for it. He was the Chief Designer/Tuner of the 250 Kawasaki Xers for Pro Circuit right up till his death. He emailed me after his last Trip to say that Doctors had found a Tumour deep within his brain which unfortunately he didn't recover from. His British riding friends miss his company & Drink a toast to him whenever we can. R.I.P. Drino, gone to meet his great mate Budd Ekins to be two easy riders once more.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
jackdaw

Re: R.I.P. 2014. Dave Bickers Europe. scrambles champion 1954/5 - Drino Miller Baha 1000 Champion 1970.

Post by jackdaw »

Dave Bickers. A name from my formative years. The days when 'Grandstand' on Sat lunchtimes used to feature Motorcross. (although it might have been called scrambling back then. DB won every week.
boboneleg

Re: R.I.P. 2014. Dave Bickers Europe. scrambles champion 1954/5 - Drino Miller Baha 1000 Champion 1970.

Post by boboneleg »

Absolutely Jackdaw, when I was at junior school I used to run around the playground making brmmmm brmmmm noises pretending I was Dave Bickers :)
one-legged adventurer
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

jackdaw wrote:Dave Bickers. A name from my formative years. The days when 'Grandstand' on Sat lunchtimes used to feature Motorcross. (although it might have been called scrambling back then. DB won every week.
That takes me back!
RIP Dave and Drino.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

boboneleg wrote:Absolutely Jackdaw, when I was at junior school I used to run around the playground making brmmmm brmmmm noises pretending I was Dave Bickers :)
I must be a tad older than you Bob. I was riding to school on my 125 Bantam @ 45mph flat out wishing it was a Greeves Hawkstone 250.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Multirider

Post by Multirider »

Bickers was my hero in the 60's, top man.

Just had a great nostalgia boost with this book, well worth a look if you enjoyed Grandstand motocross

My brother and me used to race each other with these too -

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.as ... Start=1380

I was Bickers, he was Alan Clough.

Happy days!
The only thing the blues is afraid of is the pipes........

BMW G650GS

Suzuki DRZ400E

Jeep Cherokee 3.7 petrol

Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet - It's Summer!
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

picos mestizo wrote:
boboneleg wrote:Absolutely Jackdaw, when I was at junior school I used to run around the playground making brmmmm brmmmm noises pretending I was Dave Bickers :)
I must be a tad older than you Bob. I was riding to school on my 125 Bantam @ 45mph flat out wishing it was a Greeves Hawkstone 250.
Hah! I had a bantam as well but not until 1977.
one-legged adventurer
chico

Post by chico »

saw Bickers many times at Belmont circuit (Co Durham) it was just out the back of our house....BBC Grandstand filmed there regular.....when the track closed I got the last lap flag and a few other momento's, they were all left just lying around when it closed....(nice housing estate there now ;) )
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I work for Bickers. This is a company that was set up by Dave Bickers that was originally called Anglia Motorcycle Accessories. Dave set up Bickers Action after getting to know Bud Ekins and then sold Anglia Motorcycle Accessories to my current boss and his dad about 30 years ago.

I got to meet Dave on a couple of occasions when he visited the offices in Felixstowe and his son came to the funeral of my bosses dad a couple of years ago.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “HEROES”