Hartside cafe

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Oop North John

Re: Hartside cafe

Post by Oop North John »

Sad news, many great memories of there. Hopefully it'll rise from the ashes.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Great roads around there but the cafe itself was a bit of a dump.
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

RandG wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 am Great roads around there but the cafe itself was a bit of a dump.
Wow im surprised by that,i thought it was great,expensive probably due to it's location but generally very good,perhaps i just have low standards.

:lol:

Cheers Boggs
bowber

Post by bowber »

RandG wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 am Great roads around there but the cafe itself was a bit of a dump.
LOL, while it wasn't a reet posh spot it was OK, did decent grub and nice cakes, nothing fancy. Maybe they'll go a bit more up market when they reopen?

As to the roads, Hartside and the road to Alston must be one of the most heavily policed roads in Cumbria.

Steve
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

It was a decent cafe, good cakes and food and a cracking view with the bonus of a cracking ride up to it from either direction

I think you may be alone in your opinion of it :roll:

Ian :D
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Sad news indeed. Took shelter there in a blizzard, well driving sleet, while cycling the C2C many years ago.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Yep, I thought that too
Typical biker's fare - but not much organic/healthy/vegetarian or plain wholesome
Toilets were rank, long overdue for a revamp............. et voila !
Better cafe's in Alston or Melmerby
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Bit of a dichotomy really, it was what I would call a typical transport style cafe stuck in the 60s that welcomed everybody. I think it harsh to call it a 'dump' might I suggest a description of faded elegance or utilitarian :shock:

What can we expect when going in with wet muddy boots and over suits. The toilet facilities were adequate, it was the clientele which left paper towels in the sinks or could not be bothered to flush. I reported it once and somebody went in straight away to tidy up.

I agree that there are prettier places around the area but overall it suited my needs for the circumstances and convenience of location.

We have a smaller and yet in many ways similar cafe in Buxton, Five Ways, it is cramped and frugal but we have always been made most welcome, the food is basic and fresh, hot and reasonably priced. I think that the feeling of being made welcome is what seals a place for me.

Let's agree that it needed a good coat of paint and an improved modern varied selection of 'scran' :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
RandG

Post by RandG »

The new open top roof should be a hit come summer though ;)
IanB

Post by IanB »

RandG wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 pm The new open top roof should be a hit come summer though ;)
Is that supposed to be funny ?
Time knows no limits for days such as these.............

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”