Thetford Forest big bike ride Sunday 16th

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Tim B KTM

Re: Thetford Forest big bike ride Sunday 16th

Post by Tim B KTM »

Brockley Corner was a fairly straight forward run and finished off with the bit of Peddars Way just below the A11 railway crossing.
KTMBrockleyCorner.jpg
KTMBrockleyCorner.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
KTMA113.jpg
KTMA113.jpg (56.26 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

We did arrive for some breakfast!
ImageUntitled by phil mingay, on Flickr

Ended the ride with a missing header bolt and the other one like a wobbly tooth!!! why do these things always happen when its pissing down??

We got lost in the deer sanctuary Tim trying to find the access onto Pedders Way, and once we found it ok we went over the railway and along the sandy bits which were to say the least tricky!!! think I need to watch some vids on sand riding as it feels like the front is always wanting to wash out all the time, I guess maybe speed is your friend in these situations, anyone else got some tips for me?
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I have trouble in the deep sand,much as i think keep the throttle steady and don,t let off the power,keep your weight back,stand on the pegs and let the bike go where it wants......what actually occurs is weight forwards,keep chopping the throttle and hold on tight to the bars like your life depended on it! Of course you have no success with the latter method. It is much easier when the rain dampens the sand down.Also look where the tractors and four wheel drives have been they compact the ground and cut through to the solid surface underneath.If there is any grass left on the track head for that as the grass root system holds the sand together and stops it shifting around under your wheels as much.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

dibbs wrote:We did arrive for some breakfast!

Ended the ride with a missing header bolt and the other one like a wobbly tooth!!! why do these things always happen when its pissing down??

We got lost in the deer sanctuary Tim trying to find the access onto Pedders Way, and once we found it ok we went over the railway and along the sandy bits which were to say the least tricky!!! think I need to watch some vids on sand riding as it feels like the front is always wanting to wash out all the time, I guess maybe speed is your friend in these situations, anyone else got some tips for me?
Sit back, use gas, and I wiggle the front deliberately as quick as I can--sort of a preemptive strike in that the front wheel never gets chance to tuck one way or the other--and ends up tracking straight.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

The biggest issue with riding in sand is suspension set up, if you don't have that right you will struggle.
Momentum is key and keeping the front light.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

So sounds like, lean back and pin it!!!! (thumbs) will try this next time and post results lol...
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

dibbs wrote:So sounds like, lean back and pin it!!!! (thumbs) will try this next time and post results lol...
Bit more to it than that,gripping the bike with your legs and having a relaxed upper body and arms is key. Never fight the bike in sand it will win.
Archie

Post by Archie »

Do all of the above and steer the bike by weighting the pegs. Don't try to turn the bars as the sand will build up quicker than you will react and you'll be on yer arse. It's a technique that takes hours of practice. Slow down by using the rear brake only. Momentum is your friend in all that you do in sand and has to be maintained.
Practice it on a long stretch of sand to get the feel and than start trying steer the bike through the pegs by weight transfer. You will quickly see how the bike reacts to your weight movements. Small amounts of weight until you feel really confident then more weight and more quickly. If you look back when you slow to stop you will see a big slalom line in the sand. You will dump it so be prepared to pick it up many times. A light bike helps to begin with because it helps build your confidence. Lastly don't grip the bars like your hanging on for dear life! Hold the grips lightly and keep your elbows up in the classic Enduro/MotoX stance and keep your arse over the rear end. Now go practice, practice practice.
My avatar gives you an idea of how and why I know, I hope. Taken at speed 70mph plus in Mauritania on the 2008 Heroes Legend Classic Paris - Dakar.
Hope it helps
Don't go where the path leads, 'Go where there is no path..! and leave a trail for others to follow'

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”