HISS Big Tread - the 'Official' Trip Report!

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
micksea

Re: HISS Big Tread - the 'Official' Trip Report!

Post by micksea »

heeelllloooooooo....is there anybody there?????? (with wifi :mrgreen: )
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

All out haven fun Mick - except the one in hospital ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 pm All out haven fun Mick - except the one in hospital ...
Bambi hasnt turned up again has he Simon. He does like venison - alive or dead, it makes him poorly
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mickdb1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 pm
The Spanish Biker wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 pm All out haven fun Mick - except the one in hospital ...
Bambi hasnt turned up again has he Simon. He does like venison - alive or dead, it makes him poorly
Ha ha, no, not Bambi again - although he called in to the HISS in Catalonia last year on his travels and sent his regards to everyone.

No, touching wood as there are still two groups out there eon the last day - see below - we've had two in¡juries, n¡both on simple tracks and just bad luck really. One chap took a ride to o Sunday with his mate, that is to say, before the HISS really began, and a smoke off turned nasty as he fell against a bank beside the trail and broke his collar bone in four places! Luckily they were near asphalt and could actually rid back to base from where his buddy took him to hospital. Not admitted and got repatriate¡ted in Wednesday.

OK, more soon as I hear bikes ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well, that's everyone home safe and sound and a big storm is brewing, so everyone is breaking camp while they can - including us! - and part from settling the beer bill (the camping set us up with a huge fridge in the BBQ and stocked on plan pay-or-return) paying for Kev's plot as he's still in hospital waiting for a medical release - he's OK but at risk of infection for a few more days as his wrist/arm bones were exposed o the air in his crash - and his repatriation t kick into gear.

So a more full report from me when we get homr and I hope lost of lovely photos from the others. Everyone - apart from Kev! - had a phenomenal time and were wowed by the scenery and the trails. Full marks to the accommodation and - am I allowed to say this? - the organisation! :lol:

The Big News is that so many folks, both Veterans and Virgins, asked about a Catalonia HISS in spring that we'll do one. Fir this who don't know we're pinned to the Catalonia region in spring so can't come away to Aragon, so Plan A was to have a back-to-back HISS in September - 10th to 14th Catalona 17th - 21st Aragon.

We'll have to set the dates for the spring Catalonia HISS after the Horizons Unlimted HUMM event in a few weeks time so watch to for news here, or ask to go o my mailing list or sign up to the HISS Facebook page ...

That's all for now folks!

Simon

WillS

Post by WillS »

Thanks Simon for organizing a fantastic event HISS Aragon.
Seem to be a good mix of big 1200's, 650's and our lot ot 250's.
A great set of friendly riders again.
After our initial set back on the first day with Kevin, we had a great week, and since seeing Kevin in Hospital is really in good spirits, we all feel a lot better. It was a bit of nasty accident, especially for the riders following.
Thanks to Steve, Graham and Phil who were first on the scene to help Kevin. So day one was a short ride and an early bath as they say!!!
But day 2 spirits were back and we started the ride at the place were we stopped the previous day and continued the route planed.

We will be posting a few photos in the coming days.
Again many thanks to Simon and Poly. Simon has had a very busy time on this event, but not riding....
He knows the way to Teruel Hospital very well after many visits to see and help Kevin.

Day one photo as we departed the camp site.
IMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5680.JPG (366.52 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks for this great post Will. One of my birthday 'treats' yesterday was not logging on to the Internet - well I did check the €url-Sterling exchange rate and as it's up four € cents to the Pound that was another treat - two more on a long overdue walk with Balto was seeing lots of snow on the peaks around Andorra, about 50 mikes as the eagle flies as the clouds from Friday's storms cleared during the morning and then on the way back having a Bearded Vulture fly about fifty feet over our heads - a very rare treat indeed! :D

Back to the HISS. We called n on Kevin on our way hime and bought his some bike mags to help him learn Spanish - his room mate and their extensive family members are helping him along, as well as his natural charm getting all the pretty nurses to explain what their doing to him ... I suppose on a more cautious note his example serves to remind folks of the need to be well insured and have their back-up - usually understanding spouse's back home! - well prepared, in this case with duplicate's of the policy documents, etc. in advance.

It's noteworthy that both accidents took place on very 'easy' sections and were of the sort us roughty-toughty Adventure Bike riders would normally call a little 'lie down' - but for the circumstances of the fall. Luckily the other chap came by van with a mate, so repatriating the vehicle wasn't a problem, and the camping also has accommodation so he didn't have to try to live in his tent with a broken collar bone (quite severe as it turns out) for three nights until his flight departed form Castellón - a useful flight option from Rynannair.

So, onto happier matters - we didn't have much tike for photos so just a few for the album:

First, Kevin's poor bike being taken away less than 24 hours after the crash - before we could pack his tent!

https://thespanishbiker.files.wordpress ... gp0689.jpg

A happier evening with the first BBQ under the careful tutelage of Will and Ken.

The fuel is both plentiful and free, so there was plenty for everyone too cook their stuff in shifts, making a dinner that went on into the night, and on, and on ...

Next time we took pictures was what it was all over - on Thursday as it happened as many were heading home over three days and then on Friday the impending storm drove the rest of us away ... But not before I asked HISS 'Virgins' Mel, Aaron and Andy "How as it for you?" I think the rely is obvious! :D

It's always sad to see camps being struck - Phi's pitch (without Graham but with his bike(s):

Will and Ken at a sensible distance from ...

... The Indian encampment! :lol:

Image.

With thanks to everyone else who for one reason or another didn't get a look into our camera's lens. And over to you all for images out on the trails! :D :D :D :D

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks for this great post Will. One of my birthday 'treats' yesterday was not logging on to the Internet - well I did check the €uro-Sterling exchange rate and as it's up four € cents to the Pound that was another treat - two more on a long overdue walk with Balto was seeing lots of snow on the peaks around Andorra, about 50 mikes as the eagle flies as the clouds from Friday's storms cleared during the morning and then on the way back having a Bearded Vulture fly about fifty feet over our heads - a very rare treat indeed but sadly all over too quickly to get the camera out so a stock image will have to do:

Back to the HISS. We called n on Kevin on our way hime and bought his some bike mags to help him learn Spanish - his room mate and their extensive family members are helping him along, as well as his natural charm getting all the pretty nurses to explain what their doing to him ... I suppose on a more cautious note his example serves to remind folks of the need to be well insured and have their back-up - usually understanding spouses back home! - well prepared, in this case with duplicate's of the policy documents, etc. in advance.

It's noteworthy that both accidents took place on very 'easy' sections and were of the sort us roughty-toughty Adventure Bike riders would normally call a little 'lie down' - but for the circumstances of the fall. Luckily the other chap came by van with a mate, so repatriating the vehicle wasn't a problem, and the camping also has accommodation so he didn't have to try to live in his tent with a broken collar bone (quite severe as it turns out) for three nights until his flight departed form Castellón - a useful flight option from Rynannair.

So, onto happier matters - we didn't have much tike for photos so just a few for the album:

First, Kevin's poor bike being taken away less than 24 hours after the crash - before we could pack his tent!

A happier evening with the first BBQ under the careful tutelage of Will and Ken.

The fuel is both plentiful and free, so there was plenty for everyone too cook their stuff in shifts, making a dinner that went on into the night, and on, and on ...

Next time we took pictures was what it was all over - on Thursday as it happened as many were heading home over three days and then on Friday the impending storm drove the rest of us away ... But not before I asked HISS 'Virgins', Andy, Aaron and Mel, "How was it for you?" I think theIr reply is obvious! :D

It's always sad to see camps being struck - Phil's pitch (without Graham but with his bike(s):

Will and Ken at a sensible distance from ...

... The Indian encampment! :lol:

Image.

With thanks to everyone else who for one reason or another didn't get a look into our camera's lens. And over to you all for images out on the trails! :D :D :D :D

Regs

Simon
Last edited by Simon_100 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

So, after a mighty fine trip to Spain for my HISS 2017 trip, here is a bit of a ride report in no particular order !

Total trip days riding – 11, departing on a Friday 8th night down to Portsmouth for the 11pm ferry and returning into Portsmouth from Caen on a Monday 18th morning at 06:45 to ride home.

Miles ridden 2782 of which approx. 350 were ‘off road’ over 4 days at the HISS event
Image20170911_122740(0) by jonny grey, on Flickr
Image20170911_122741 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Simons hard work and route planning makes it so easy to plan your day out on the trails.
Image20170912_121829 by jonny grey, on Flickr
Image20170912_112636 by jonny grey, on Flickr

I had been up to the observatory previously but really wanted to get up there again and it did not disappoint.
Image20170912_143714 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Arrived near Teruel Spain Sunday at 6pm – Took 2 solid days riding with only 350kms on motorway
Image20170910_191113 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Departed Teruel Friday morning at 9am – Took 3 days to get back with no motorways ridden until arriving back in the UK
Image20170917_085808 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Nights camping – 5 in Spain at Casa Fausto which I thought was a small, pretty good clean site but needs a bar!
Nights in Camping hut – 1 at Moto Dordogne for 25 euros
Image20170909_174019 by jonny grey, on Flickr
Nights in Spanish hostel – 1 in La Pobla for 24 euros with breakfast and great wine at 2 euros a bottle!
Image20170915_184402 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Nights in French Hotel – 1 near Oradour sur Glane for 55 euros with breakfast (I visited Oradour on the Sunday morning)
Image20170917_093529 by jonny grey, on Flickr

Rain in Spain does not fall ‘mostly on the plain’ – we had great Spanish weather all week but on day 1 of the return journey it was horrendous on the run up to the Pyrenees and ruined an epic C13 road up to La Pobla de Segur.
I should have stayed in Teruel and watched the bull running !
Image20170913_134702 by jonny grey, on Flickr
It also lashed it down for nearly the entire 500km Sunday ride back to Caen.

The mighty R1200GSA was epic as usual, a dream on the long road rides and awesomely capable on the off road stages, powering up boulder strewn inclines with power and precision and then seemingly taking me where ever it felt like on the downward slopes !
Number of bike drops on trip – 0 !!!

New TKC80 tyres were fantastic on the fast-dry roads, the gravel trails, the rocky trails, the wet tarmac – all round very impressive grip but now completely worn out.

BMW GS Dry suit (an oft overlooked cheapo version of the venerable twat suit) was excellent but needed a wet weather rain top and trousers in the really bad weather. Not to keep the rain out, but to stop it completely ‘wetting out’ and being cold and miserable.

Highest temp experienced – 31 degrees when I went to Peniscola for a swim in the sea on Thursday afternoon!
Image20170914_142317 by jonny grey, on Flickr
Lowest temp experienced – 2 degrees on the return leg Saturday morning over the top of the Pyrenees down from Viella.

Finally, the people, and its people that make a trip memorable – to the other GS riders, Aaron, Mel and Andy – many thanks for your company and letting me ride with you
To the ‘little uns’ group – what a top bunch of guys and thanks for your hospitality and look forward to meeting again.
And without Simon and Polly there would be no HISS event – thanks for the great organisation and another memorable trip for me for all the right reasons. !

Cheers
Jonny
When nothing is going right - go left
micksea

Post by micksea »

great pictures and write up jonny,looks like you maximised your time during the trip and saw a lot of sights

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”