HISS Big Tread - the 'Official' Trip Report!

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Simon_100

HISS Big Tread - the 'Official' Trip Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

This is a long time in advance and the gig is from September 11th - 15th but in tike honoured tradition the benter starts now!

To update the uninitiated: the idea behind the Big Tread is simple, loads of long, easy trails and some of the best roads in Spain, basically the whole of southern Teruel province and spilling over into Valencia and Castilla-la-Mancha. A new venue is a 'luxury' camp site - the highest in Spain or so they say! - with bungalows available for the faint of heart :evil: and a room for us to use for our stuff, tables for planning routes from the Monster Map, etc,

Again, for the uninitiated, the HISS is totally informal, no teams, no prizes, no hassle, just loads of fun - set up new groups to ride our each day or stick with your buddies, it really doesn't matter - but there's no such thing and a Billy-no-mates at the HISS!

There are no useable printed maps of the region, so we make up and print our own Monster Map from downloads from the Spanish equivalent of OS 1: 50 000 series all tied together into a huge map on which we mark all the trails - and the recommended roads too for the Big Tread - all arranged in segments form which to make up your day's itinerary - a bit like planning to cross, say, London on the Underground, using different combinations of lines but the HISS has over fifty lines - and that's just the trails! (thumbs)

We send satav files before the event so ability to use these is more or less essential - otherwise join the 'flock' who just 'follow' Will-S, who more an more resembles Moses flying from Egypt!

There are detailed 'reference guides' for extra stuff - see below - and slimmed down 'field guides' to take to day-by-day

And that's it: 100% simple 100% fun. And it's all about having an adventure, what your bikes's made for after all!

The trails aren't 'graded' by me as its pointless given so many different abilities, but as a 'bench mark' guide they are doable by a novice on, say a GS650 or Serato and easy for a confident rider on a big GS boxer.

The routes have waypoints where they intersect with more challenging trails - many from earlier Aragón HISS meets and also from the new HISS Challenge which takes place in June - so for those who want to take it uo a notch you can just aim from point to point - and get totally lost in all probability! (thumbs)

Talking of getting lost - the only rescue is your own and the support of your mates - again - it's an Adventure! (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Business wise, the fees for the Big Tread are the new 'standard' HISS rates: £125 for the five days. In addition there's a tenner off for HISS 'Veterans'. We get a discount form the camping but as yet I don't know what this will be - the more there are of us the better the deal ...

More soon with some pictures.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Re: HISS Big Tread - the 'Official' Trip Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

Some picks, more or less as they come off the reel:

More of the Sierra de javalambre ...

That is steep!!!

Pretty - it is! (thumbs)

Not the Yorkshire Moors ...

Vertigo ...

Tried and tested - in winter, brrrr!

Wow, must dash ...

Regs

Simon (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Spadger

Post by Spadger »

I think this could be a good testing ground for our old bm's Simon will keep you updated with progress on them and the hunt for a dog sitter as we'd be riding down, thought about going Spanish and tying her to a tree for three weeks but there's so many dogooders here don't think I'd get away with it :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I haven't yet been to a HISS event but I have ridden the tarmac roads around the Teruel area and they are absolutely fantastic. It's biker heaven B) . We also had a 'bonkers' evening in Teruel town when about 300 bikers on mx bikes, enduro bikes, and sports bikes turned up in the central square for an organised party ...accompanied by 2 Spanish coppers on GS650's who didn't seem to worry at all about the burnouts, helmet-less riding, and revving the nuts off stationary Fireblades on the rev limiter and the likes...:woohoo:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Spadger wrote:I think this could be a good testing ground for our old bm's Simon will keep you updated with progress on them and the hunt for a dog sitter as we'd be riding down, thought about going Spanish and tying her to a tree for three weeks but there's so many dogooders here don't think I'd get away with it :)
The perfect testing ground John - and for 'perfect' bikes! (thumbs)
Scott_rider wrote:I haven't yet been to a HISS event but I have ridden the tarmac roads around the Teruel area and they are absolutely fantastic. It's biker heaven B) . We also had a 'bonkers' evening in Teruel town when about 300 bikers on mx bikes, enduro bikes, and sports bikes turned up in the central square for an organised party ...accompanied by 2 Spanish coppers on GS650's who didn't seem to worry at all about the burnouts, helmet-less riding, and revving the nuts off stationary Fireblades on the rev limiter and the likes...:woohoo:
Ha ha, very Spanish - make loads of rules and regulations and then ignore them totally!

You're right about that region though - it is biking paradise, and that's saying something when you bear in mind that I live in the Pyrenees! (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Sorry for the total noob question but what is HISS? Is there an official website as I can't find it. :unsure:
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Spadger wrote:I think this could be a good testing ground for our old bm's Simon will keep you updated with progress on them and the hunt for a dog sitter as we'd be riding down, thought about going Spanish and tying her to a tree for three weeks but there's so many dogooders here don't think I'd get away with it :)
if jan comes with me with the van we will be taking our two with us, if chris comes as well, his spaniel buddy will be in his box on the back of the gs

steve
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Not wishing my life away - but looking out the window at the snow today, roll on September

The roads and trails really are GS riding nirvana (thumbs)

My ferry is booked B)
When nothing is going right - go left
iceclimber

Post by iceclimber »

I'm all set ...... Ferries booked ! thanks to the NEC bike show 10% saved :)

A bit closer to the time, I may be looking for a 'van-man / bike-man' to take down our camping gear ? :unsure:
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

ice man where are you in the country, if jan decides to come then i will trialer down, let you know closer

steve

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”