HISSv1 - June 12 - 16th, 2017 - The 'Official' Trip Report

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Simon_100

HISSv1 - June 12 - 16th, 2017 - The 'Official' Trip Report

Post by Simon_100 »

Well it's that time again folks! (thumbs)

As you'll know from the 'Important changes at the HISS' Topic there will be three very different HISS Events in 2017. So this is the trip report for HISS v1 (thumbs)

The point about the 'v1' title is that it's the original HISS format in our summer 'base' camp at Camping Collegats
here in the Catalan Pyrenees.

Despite this there will be even more trails for this year, we're spending the whole winter here adding routes to the south of the region, in an area called la Noguera - some of you had a sneak preview of this in 2015 I think - adding in another 'Monster Map' but for a change making the event in late Spring so that those folks who can't do September.

Meanwhile, just a hint of the terrains, conditions, etc. thanks to stalwart HISSers WillS

Another important thing about the dates are that we will be running two HISS event back to back, so that folks can come to both ... and there's a 10% (£25) discount for this! (thumbs)

Regarding the prices: the 'v1' retains the very generous £50 'Veteran's' discount whereas the other events, HISS -Challenge and HISS - Big Tread - both of which are elsewhere in Spain - don't qualify for this but do get a £10 discounts for all vets.

I'll be mailing everyone who has confirmed their interest, so if you don't get one from me then get in touch now! You can contact me by PM, or the Contact page on my Blog.

So, that's started the ball rolling ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Re: HISSv1 - June 12 - 16th, 2017 - The 'Official' Trip Report

Post by Simon_100 »

Just giving the one a little bump and a quick report of the numbers - as of yesterday we now have ten confirmed riders* at the v1, almost all of whom are going on to the Challenge (thumbs), plus a few expressions of interest floating around.

I'm getting down to mapping the extended area, which now goes literally the entire course* of the Noguera Pallaresa river, that's the one that runs past the camping from its source on the Pla de Beret ski station to the confluence at Camarasa, which is at the end of the amazing C-13 mountain section.

Just a few piccies to inspire:

The source is a stone's throw from some of the numerous headwaters of the Garonne river ...

I call the trail to it 'Hannibal's Way' in support of my totally unfounded theory that Hannibal - the general not the cannibal! - led his army to Rome this way :whistle:

The river in full spate - sorry Spadger! - past the camping where in Jly they celebrate the 'lost' art of log rafting ...

The penultimate big ravine before the river joins the mighty Segre river.

What the means is that the available trails will moe than double in length and there will be three Monster Maps. Naturally this will favour the big bikes but I'm also going to seek a permit for access to some trails that are normally closed to motors - too early to promise but if this goes well it opens a lot of doors to a network or trails nearer to the camping, which in any event is still right at the centre of the territory. (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

* some of whom haven't paid - so I'll be dunning them over the weekend - you know who you are!

** actually the last trail exits onto the black stuff a bit further downstream ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hot off the press: I met with the supremo of the La Terreta nature reserve yesterday and got the 'OK' for permission to ride one of the most beautiful and spectacular trails in the whole Pyrenees (IMHO) that also is a key to a whole range of trails that I've been keeping on one side for years as otherwise they go up a dead-end valley.

The trail runs along the tops of the mountains in the background - naturally I haven't ridden it yet ;) - and is normally 'protected' b this discouraging sign, the like of which Ive never seen elsewhere but the meaning of fairly obvious - this trail is strongly prohibited to off-road motors!

Regs

Simon

micksea

Post by micksea »

it will soon be time.....
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

micksea wrote:it will soon be time.....
Yes, time is marching on at a frightening pace. I've been wondering about the wisdom of holding the HISS in June as a lot of folks have said that's a difficult time for them.

But as it turn out it looks like the 'winter' is going to last. The snowfalls over the weekend are said to be enough for the ski stations to stay open up to and even beyond Easter - for the first time in ten years. Vets of the first HISS in 2012 will remember the snowfall at the end of May that closed many trails for a day or two and this year we're extending the 'territory' well to the north and into the 'snow-zone' ...

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

New update. Well have an extra 'v1' HISS at Camping Collegats during the week before the Big Tread, i.e. the week September 4th - 8th. (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well the HISS is well and truly up and running with Jayne black and blue all over- well the bits that John lets the rest if us see :whistle: Meanwhile Trevor is dismantling his carb as I write after the 'parliament' diagnosed a blocked starter jet - the biker worked perfectly yesterday! Which brings me neatly to, er, yesterday ...

The is the 'exit' to the highly restricted trail that I got permits for us to use tis week. The only problem being that I haven't been able to recce the trails in advance well in advance as the permit is only for now and I was taken up with stuff on Monday and Tuesday, so as I start pop off on Wednesday the 'gang' said that0s what they wanted to do. So I took an hour's head start in the Niva with axes, etc. ready in case there were still trees over the trail after the big snowstorm in March ...

Going up ...

... and up ...

... until at the top ...

... there was a bit of a view! (thumbs)

I got there are 11.00 and now sound of bikes following, despite my stoping lots on the way including waiting to a timber truck guy to tie down his load and clear the trail, me having to open and shut gates and at times walking a long way - in nearly 40º heat - to check on the trail, which was really really bad ...

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

... so I gets out my 'elevenses' and munch away, take a few moody snaps of the view, the Niva, the view and phoned Mrs S - amazing that there was coverage with Orange! - and I was just about to set off on the next leg at 11.50-ish when I heard the familiar 'blast' - actually Jayne's CRF - in the distance so I waited ... and waited ... until I eventually saw a glint of metal and some more blasting on a particularly nasty hill climb about 1/2 mile away ...

... at the little 'bald' patch on the ridge beyond the windscreen. Then figures waling back down, riding up again with another bike ... you can guess. I called Trevor and all was well, just rather 'tiring' ... So I waited again - for about an hour! - until ...

... in no particular order ...

Lesley

Phil

Jayne

John - looking his age! - Phil again and Mick, who neither dismounted nor stopped grinning ...

John and Jayne having a 'couple' moment witnessed by Phil :whistle:

So much for the software, now the hardware:

Phil's - if it ain't orange ...

Lesley's mean green machine ...

Trevor's Honda in happier times ...

go on, go hug a Niva, you know it makes sense ...

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

This does look like a really good event SB (thumbs) but I feel bad for asking but what does HISS mean/stand for? hopefully I will join you for one of your events in the future
Edit: Think ive just seen the answer to my question! High intensity sojourns in Spain?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

dibbs wrote:This does look like a really good event SB (thumbs) but I feel bad for asking but what does HISS mean/stand for? hopefully I will join you for one of your events in the future

Edit: Think ive just seen the answer to my question! High intensity sojourns in Spain?
Thanks, we'l look forward to seeing you sometime. Meanwhile you're almost right, I've changed it to Highly Informal Sojourns ... not that it matters one jot! (thumbs) - but can't seem to change the text on my signature.

Regs

Simon

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”