Three Peaks Challenge?

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Paul C

Three Peaks Challenge?

Post by Paul C »

I quite like the idea of this.

http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/

Has anyone here done it by bike (not up the mountains, obviously)?
Comments or advice for an unfit 40-something?
...I just want to ride!
AndyB

Re: Three Peaks Challenge?

Post by AndyB »

Doing it on a bike spread over a week it would be easy and you could take more scenic routes between the mountains but remember that it can be miserable high up even when the weather is wonderful where you park your bike. Autumn is the best time to go when it's not as hot low down but there's no significant snowfall high up.

If you want to do an alternative 'challenge' try doing the deepest cave/pothole in each country. We did it years ago but just to make it harder we also did the three peaks at the same time all within a 48 hour time limit. I felt sick by the time we'd finished but we raised some cash for Cave Rescue so it was worth it.
DG

Post by DG »

Think it would be a tough task on the bike unless you were riding pillion. I started hiking a couple of years ago with the missus. Me being me said we'd do Hellvelyn (second highest mountain in England), I mean how hard can it be walking??

Wrong! We didn't make the summit as it was the back end of January and it was covered in snow. We walked around 10 miles and I couldn't sit in the car to drive as I cramped up in my thighs as soon as I sat down.

The following day we couldn't fookin walk.

We went back the following year though and we made the summit via Striding Edge. It was a bit hairy in places, but the sense of achievement was awesome.

If you're going to do any kind of hiking like this I'd suggest you get out and get some walking done. Start off with maybe 5/6 miles and then increase them. Also have a go at different terrian as it is a lot harder work.

We often go out walking now and love it. Google the walking englishman for loads of different walks which vary from easy to hard.

Enjoy!
Running Yorkshire Marathon (AGAIN!) for the National Brain Appeal Please visit my page. Thank you. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gavin-pickup1
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Perhaps the 3 day version would still allow me to enjoy the whole thing without burning a week (limited time off work).

Autumn, noted, thanks (thumbs)
...I just want to ride!
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Thanks DG.
I do walk a little, around 10 miles a week, but the terrain is no comparison, as you say.
...I just want to ride!
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

If you were doing it for charity then the challenge is worth it, if you are doing it for fun the take your time. Some guys from work did the challenge and half the time they were in the dark and it was raining, there is no fun in that. Also they (luckily) had a driver as its a lot of miles.

Doing mountains and caves at the same time is madness! :side:

Paul C wrote:Perhaps the 3 day version would still allow me to enjoy the whole thing without burning a week (limited time off work).

Autumn, noted, thanks (thumbs)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I don't see much point in paying someone to guide you along well defined footpaths but having them transport you between the peaks has got to be a big help. If you're doing it for yourself on a bike then it'd be a waste to go to three areas where the scenery is worth looking at if you're trying to do it in 24 hours and will end up riding through the night.

I suppose I tend to over simplify things in my mind but paying someone to guide me up a footpath gets put in the same category as paying someone to guide me around the Highlands or the Lake District on my bike because I'm either too lazy or unable to read a map :whistle:
Paul C

Three Peaks Challenge?

Post by Paul C »

I don't mind riding huge miles and it's not like I've never been or can't go again for the scenery. I'd be in the scenery for many hours while climbing too.
I don't want to be guided or driven. Looking at it as more of a personal challenge and a bit of fun.

- Outsider (via Tapatalk)
...I just want to ride!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

It depends on how unfit you think you are. It's a lot of road mileage to cover between climbs which to me would be the more difficult part as riding when tired is not such a good idea.

I have done Mount Fuji at over 12k feet bottom to top and back down for charity in 19 hours, so the walking if your sensible is not such a problem, the riding as I said would be another matter if your trying to do all 3 in 24 hours

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Paul C

Three Peaks Challenge?

Post by Paul C »

I probably think I'm fitter than I am. Maybe the 3 day version would be better to start with, then I could do the 24hr version if it went well. I think I could cope with the long hours in the seat (have before, but not after climbing three peaks!) but I don't want to kill myself :-/

Appreciate the replies :-)

- Outsider (via Tapatalk)
...I just want to ride!

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”