Ride suggestions wanted for Scotland west of A74

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
bowber

Ride suggestions wanted for Scotland west of A74

Post by bowber »

Well my long weekend ride into the Trossachs has been cancelled due to various things so I was hoping to have a trip into the area west of the A74 and above the A75 on Saturday instead.

Leadhills etc then maybe make my way back down and across to Moffat and and up that way then back past Samye Ling.

I'm sort of familiar with the Moffat side but I was wanting a few ideas for the west side, is the A76 worth traveling along etc?
I much prefer roads like up through Eskdalemuir etc so I'm not wanting fast busy A roads and I'd prefer to avoid the motorway altogether.
Plenty of Coffee stops and good views are handy as well.

so if you know the area can you give me a few pointers please.

If anyone else wants to tag along you more than welcome, I'll be traveling from Kirkby Stephen.

Steve
AustinW

Re: Ride suggestions wanted for Scotland west of A74

Post by AustinW »

If you mean twisty challenging A and B roads then these are my favourites in the area.....

A712 from Crocketford through to Newton Stewart is one of the best biking roads in the country. Do it both ways. When you are in New Galloway travelling west you want the second right - its easy to miss.

Also the B727 between Dalbeattie and Kirkcudbright. Twisty and undulating enough to make my wife travel sick on the pillion.

Or try the A702 between Thornhill and St Johns Town Dalry. Narrow, twisty, hilly and fun.

This next one is a nice loop taking in part of the A712 (as above)
A713 North of St Johns Town starts twisty then opens up to a nice fast open road before tightening up down a gorge. Take a left just out of Dalmelington onto the B741 to Straiton. Left in Straiton onto minor roads that take you through the northern wilder ends of Galloway Forest all the way through to Newton Stewart. This is an excellent bikers road. Then its A712 from Newton Stewart Back to St Johns Town.

If more time and you are not exhausted by all that its a nice run down to the lighthouse and the most southerly point in Scotalnd at the Mull of Galloway and Portpatrick is a nice place to stop off for coffee or beer overlooking the harbour.

Finally if you go to Portpatrick head home taking in the B738 north and round the Rhinns of Galloway - open countryside with quiet roads and expansive views over ranch sized cattle farms.

If staying the night check out my mates B&B http://castledouglasbedandbreakfast.weebly.com/

or if you want a rideout in the are with a difference sign up for my Galloway forest meetup http://www.bigtrailie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=374

You will enjoy the area, its one of Scotland's best for biking. (I dont live there by the way, just like to get up there and enjoy the roads and countryside)

edit to add a couple of afterthoughts......

coast road - just keep taking left turns - from Annan all the way through to Kirkcudbright, or even all the way to the lighthouse has super views and a cafe worth stopping at in Glencaple. Its a long way though and will take all day. Kirkcudbright is worth a visit.

Cafes - the Forestry Visitor centres/Cafes at Glentrool and Catteringshaws Loch are worth stopping at.
Per3grine

Post by Per3grine »

Hi

I suspect that you won't like the a76 north of Sanquahar as it is a busy and boring A road. It becomes a bit more fun to the south of the Wanlockhead turn off however.

If you're heading north and west from the lead hills area I'd look at the road from ayr to Girvan via Maidens then take the Barr (A714) road down to Newton Stewart.

There's hundreds (lots) of great roads round there but in my opinion the A76 isn't one of the best.

Or any of the ones that AustinW suggested
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AustinW wrote:If you mean twisty challenging A and B roads then these are my favourites in the area.....

A712 from Crocketford through to Newton Stewart is one of the best biking roads in the country. Do it both ways. When you are in New Galloway travelling west you want the second right - its easy to miss.

Also the B727 between Dalbeattie and Kirkcudbright. Twisty and undulating enough to make my wife travel sick on the pillion.

Or try the A702 between Thornhill and St Johns Town Dalry. Narrow, twisty, hilly and fun.

This next one is a nice loop taking in part of the A712 (as above)
A713 North of St Johns Town starts twisty then opens up to a nice fast open road before tightening up down a gorge. Take a left just out of Dalmelington onto the B741 to Straiton. Left in Straiton onto minor roads that take you through the northern wilder ends of Galloway Forest all the way through to Newton Stewart. This is an excellent bikers road. Then its A712 from Newton Stewart Back to St Johns Town.

If more time and you are not exhausted by all that its a nice run down to the lighthouse and the most southerly point in Scotalnd at the Mull of Galloway and Portpatrick is a nice place to stop off for coffee or beer overlooking the harbour.

Finally if you go to Portpatrick head home taking in the B738 north and round the Rhinns of Galloway - open countryside with quiet roads and expansive views over ranch sized cattle farms.

If staying the night check out my mates B&B http://castledouglasbedandbreakfast.weebly.com/

or if you want a rideout in the are with a difference sign up for my Galloway forest meetup http://www.bigtrailie.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=374

You will enjoy the area, its one of Scotland's best for biking. (I dont live there by the way, just like to get up there and enjoy the roads and countryside)

edit to add a couple of afterthoughts......

coast road - just keep taking left turns - from Annan all the way through to Kirkcudbright, or even all the way to the lighthouse has super views and a cafe worth stopping at in Glencaple. Its a long way though and will take all day. Kirkcudbright is worth a visit.

Cafes - the Forestry Visitor centres/Cafes at Glentrool and Catteringshaws Loch are worth stopping at.
Its all been said right there, thread concluded!
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
bowber

Post by bowber »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been on holiday with the family and caravan south of newton stuart and it's very nice down there. Bit far for a 1 day trip though but a good reminder.
I wouldn't normally ask as i like to explore an area but I don't want to waste the day trying to find nice roads and places to see.
A good view and a good cup of coffee makes it for me :-)

Steve
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Once again Austin has recommended the best (thanks) and I live here!
Ian
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

Dalveen Pass just off the 74 at Crawford John, get to the end with a big grin and turn left for Dumfries or right for New Cumnock
bowber

Post by bowber »

Big thanks for the road suggestions, had a cracking weekend that turned into the whole weekend rather than just the Saturday.
I think I managed to use most of the roads suggested and with a nice lazy ride and a few refreshments stops we got to see some more lovely parts of Scotland.
Ended up going down Loch Doon and over the forest drive, my wife loved it and it gave her the chance at a bit of easy off roadish riding

Ended up doing about 450 miles this weekend and most of it on roads we'd not done before.

Mildly amused by the bloke who spoke to us at St Mary's loch saying we could have at least washed the bikes and lubed the chains before we came out :laugh:

Steve

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”