Transport Museum Coventry.

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
mark1150

Transport Museum Coventry.

Post by mark1150 »

DSCF8015.JPG
DSCF8015.JPG (56.29 KiB) Viewed 904 times
DSCF8016.JPG
DSCF8016.JPG (59.09 KiB) Viewed 904 times
What with the weather being cold, and almost nothing showing on the internet for Sunday meets during the winter, I went along with my brother and two friends on our bikes to the Transport Museum in Coventry, and boy am I ever glad we did.
Having worked in Coventry for a few years, indeed one of my site offices was on the new green area outside the museum, I somehow never found the time to visit the place.
This place is a double edged sword of sorts, firstly it's great to appreciate the fine engineering and hard work that used to take place within our transport industry; however, there is a real eye opener when you are confronted by the roll of honour of long gone motorcycle and car manufacturers.
Although the exhibits are marvellous both the cars and the bikes, there is a certain sadness attached in the appreciation.
I think the nail was hit squarely on the head when I overheard a young lad ask his dad, " with all this gone what did they do instead?"
The museum it's self is set in modern surroundings with great art scape outside, helped along by the regeneration programme within the town centre, inside there is a coffee house , which is of the Starbucks type although surprisingly not of the prices, large [more like a bucket]of filter coffee £2, the seating was comfortable and spacious, with an option to drink outside if you wished, perhaps one for summer.
The exhibits were excellent, some stuck out more than others, I suppose it depends on what you like, but for me it was great to see a 4 1/2 ltr blower Bently, up close and personal, or Field Marshall Montgomery's staff car,or a Daimler Armoured car, even a humble delivery van, they really are diverse.
If you like cars you shouldn't be disappointed, and racing gets a good look in also with exhibits from Le Mans, F1, and rally.
The bikes get a fair shout also sometimes dispersed amongst the cars, finally culminating in a dedicated hall, OK they couldn't rival the National Motorcycle museum for numbers, but the quality is certainly there.
Another favourite of mine, being a fan of BMW GS's, and both Ewan and Charlie [don't groan I have good reasons] was both of Ewan's bikes from LWR + LWD, plus two of the Race to Dakar bikes, and even one of the support trucks from LWD.
Finally there was an exhibition dedicated to the Nobel land speed record, with a nominal charge of £1 'yes a pound' for a go in the simulator, best quid I ever spent, and if you were so inclined that would be a pound too much as the place is free, it hardly seems fair as the overheads alone must cost a small fortune, so you can make an optional donation to the running via the purchase of a programme, at a £2.50 fee.
To sum up if you haven't been it's worth a visit, and if your local and haven't been, take a few hours off and give it a whirl I don't think it will disappoint.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
CRAIGREVO

Re: Transport Museum Coventry.

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I've been a few times and they add things all the time, Ewans bikes weren't there last time I went. :(
I love the blitz part that really interests me, oh and the back to the future car.
The thrust simulator nearly shook my fillings out. :blink: It must have been terrifying in the real car/rocket.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Glad you mentioned the Blitz part Craig, can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for the people subjected to it, mind you a brisk walk to the Old Cathedral hammers it home.
Ironically I've seen the Cathedral a few times as I surveyed the road outside, but as said that was my first 'not' last visit to the museum.
Oh and forgot to add, we also had secure parking for the day, a kind lady from the museum office let us park in the secure personnel car park at the rear of the building.

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I've visited a good few museums around the UK, but amazingly, never been and only 20 minutes up the road! :ohmy:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Treadtrader wrote:I've visited a good few museums around the UK, but amazingly, never been and only 20 minutes up the road! :ohmy:
Hi TT,
That's quite often the case, we tend to travel to places of interest and ignore what's on our doorstep.
We rode about 100 miles to get there, me from East Anglia, and the boys from London, and yet none of us have visited the motorcycle museum in Greenford, which is a couple of miles from where they live and we all grew up. :blush:

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”