So who wants to do a rally? (big bike rally challenge)

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Mike54

So who wants to do a rally? (big bike rally challenge)

Post by Mike54 »

There's a debate going on on the rally moto forum (as in big bike rally challenge) as to what should constitute a "rally". The guys are looking at events for next year and are putting in more fire road oriented rallies to try to attract more people to it.

Some of the recent events have been pretty tough even for big singles, let alone on twins and many did not finish. When I say tough I mean in terms of terrain. The Beacons rally was around 20% fire road and 80% pure offroad as in single tracks, mud, long ruts, steep ups and downs on wet rock etc.

It would be great to hear what people want if they fancy a rally next year; is it a long fire road course which is rideable by anyone? or a mix of fire road with some offroad sections etc? For anyone who hasn't done one before, a rally in the true sense consists of a course anywhere between 30 and 70 miles. You set off in groups of 4 riders (similar ability) for what's known as the "liason" section which is generally about half an hour of easy riding. Then there is a "special" stage which is timed, where riders set off at 30 second intervals, it can be anywhere between 6 minutes to say, 20 minutes. After that the course continues with more "liason" for another say, 10 miles, then another "special" timed stage, and so on. There can be either one special per lap or possibly two generally. There are either 2 or three laps per day depending on the length of the course.

It's worth noting that you don't need to be Marc Coma or Cyril Despres to do it (I'm certainly not), it's a great laugh and you can effectively trail ride with your mates then have a bit of competition thrown in but it's not neccessarily balls out as fast as you can, you choose your own pace and ride in your comfort zone.

So if you're interested in doing one or more and have never done one, what would you want out of it? What kind of course? (be good to state what kind of bike you have). The Keilder course was do-able on any bike with decent suspension, there were 1150GSAs, 990's etc plus a heap of big singles like 650 X Challenge, 690, 630 etc. Also smaller capacity too is fine.

It's also worth noting that there is nowhere else (in the UK) that you can trail ride on a closed course for 50 plus miles at a time (Keilder is 65 mile laps) without worrying about walkers, dogs, sheep, anyone coming the other way, so it's a great way to have a good solid weekend of riding.

So, what would get you to enter and what kind of course would you want/feel comfortable with?
jarvis

Re: So who wants to do a rally? (big bike rally challenge)

Post by jarvis »

I'm a member to the Big Bike Rally Challenge forum and ive wanted to enter a couple of the rallys. The reasons ive not entered are : lack of holidays at work. Sorted now after promotion. Secondly im not a genius off road!! so the fire tracks would be a big welcome for me :) Ive a 640 adventure and never taken it to the limits ( the bike or myself. The bike would no doubt fair better than me :( ) So yes, fire roads would be a great help to start the 'Rally' type thing. Then go on to more technical stuff. No doubt there are riding gods out there who think fire roads are boring. But id rather start off easy,rather than being stuck with nowhere to go!! My 2 pence worth, so hoping to see more fire roads :laugh: Cheers, Matt
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi mike.
for me its fast fireroads with some technical bits so we can catch our breath..and I do like the forest sections...for the big bikes ...with the odd water crossing and hill climb..with even a few decents and boggy sections..

big bikes can manage most stuff just harder and slightly slower..
herman

Post by herman »

I think the lovely British weather is our biggest enemy. The D2D night course last year was ride-able on a big bike right up until it rained then the hill climbs just burnt out clutches. An 'easy' starter 1 day rally would be a stonking idea maybe keeping it really newbie friendly but with the usual optional extreme shortcuts and keeping even them possible for the big bikes...unless it rained. I very nearly entered the Hafren this year on the XTR but kept to the KTM simply because I love the harder tricky bits which no way do I have the skills to do on the yam. What could be better than a no hassle 50 mile lap fast trail ride with a burger van and other riders to talk bollox with at the end?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

herman wrote: What could be better than a no hassle 50 mile lap fast trail ride with a burger van and other riders to talk bollox with at the end?
Amen :) as i said before make it more accesable for newbies and as Herman said have a short cut tough section. Everyone happy and i think more people would give it a go.
Phil

Post by Phil »

ive been thinking about big bike rallies for a while, decided that next year i want to do one.

Im a novice rider on a Ten 660. i like all terrain...well....kind of ;) i love fire roads and i think they would be good for beginners but i think you need to chuck in other terrian for sure.

Rides that envolves teams would also attract new riders, as its not so dawnting.

If theres too much slow / techy bits, i get really tired due to the weight of the bike (i wouldnt on a 250 enduro) so i dont think its too much about the terrain but how the terrain is used .(like tramp said) I.E hard bit, then easy bit, then slow bit, then fast and so on.

This would give you chance to get your breath and make the day more enjoyable as every one has strengthes and weakness so this would help to keep a level playing field.

oh yeah...and Herman is right....could you adjust the weather too? ;)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I would be up for anything it is a big time issue with me though.
I would like a few fire roads to open throttle a bit of mud and or water and a few hill climbs and possibly the odd jump thrown in
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Reading all the replies...why dont we just invade salisbury plain for the weekend as it has everything poeple have suggested...doing routes backwards with plenty of fast and techy stuff...even thro in the whoops and Honey down bottom..
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

I'm up for this.
Make it a long distance challenge with a compulsory midway stop for a bacon butty & mug of tea.
If you make it too difficult you'll end up with broken bikes, bones & hold ups all over the place.
If you can "Keep it All Moving" everybody will be Riding & Enjoying it.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Mr Free Market

Post by Mr Free Market »

jarvis wrote:
herman wrote: What could be better than a no hassle 50 mile lap fast trail ride with a burger van and other riders to talk bollox with at the end?
Amen :) as i said before make it more accesable for newbies and as Herman said have a short cut tough section. Everyone happy and i think more people would give it a go.
+ 1 to that

I’ve been riding off-road for a year & as both Herman n’ Tramp can bare testament to, I’m pretty bl**dy useless at it but but but but, I’m having the time of my life

Seriously, I’ll love to do one of these - make it easy – frankly if I just make it round, that would be an achievement

Allow please, indulge me , just for a fleeting moment let me imagine that I’m an enduro god

Put on a ‘strollers’ class & give me a time/date & a grid reference, I’ll be there
Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”