Gas Gas Pampera - wanted.

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Gas Gas Pampera - wanted.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

To refresh a very old thread...I've just got the best clutch I've ever had on my Pampera by filling with Rock Oil 10W-40 mineral 4-stroke engine oil. No drag from cold..and it's £5.92 a litre from Wemoto, so about half the price of fancy-pants gear oil. At that cost, a change every two or three rides is perfectly affordable. The handbook also says 10W-40 oil for the gearbox rather than a specific gearbox oil.
It's to the JASO MA spec which is for 'consistent performance from wet clutches'...the gearbox-specific oils I have are to API-SG or something, and no mention of JASO MA.

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ro-gamma10w401l
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Glad it's working for you Richard. There are pages of discussion on Beta forums about clutch-side oil. Manufacturer recommended oil is Motul TansOil Expert, which is what my bike has had all along, but at 16 euros a litre it sure ain't cheap. Other owners have tried all types of alternatives with their older model Betas, including your Rock Oil. Some have seen the clutch plates swell, so watch for that. There's all kinds of fixes for improving clutch lever feel and bite, clutch drag, and the famous judder, and I've tried most of them, but not yet a change of oil type. I'll be fitting a new clutch just before I sell my 450 so I might try the Rock Oil with the current clutch to see if it helps.
Richard Simpson Mark II

At the price, it's worth a shot.

I've had clutch swell, and I found a guy on YouTube who was previously USA service manager for Gas Gas who blamed it on synthetic oil.
You can only replace the Pamp clutch as a complete pack...and it's about £100!
Richard Simpson Mark II

After an exciting day on the hard enduro, ordinary enduro, and even the MX tracks at Rogers Hill Raceway the Pamp's clutch was still behaving itself.

It appears that the Rock Oil rocks!
I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

Hi enjoying reading this , I’ve just collected one of these a bit impulsive as getting it home reveals a few negatives not revealed in sale ( you would trust a 67 trf member suffering from chemo treatment wouldn’t you ? )
I’m wondering where you bought clutch kit ?
Where you found a workshopmanual
no indicators but wiring there , no relay and a fairly heavy three pin plug doing nothing
Loads of clutch drag told it’s had a new clutch so I guess pop the cover off .
On a plusitstarts easy
Reading your attachments loads of info thanks should help

Any tips other than don’t buy bikes on impulse greatfully accepted
Supposed to be for the wife if I can make it good Cheers in advance : John
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Many of these found favour amongst the Long Distance Trial scene where stuff like indicators were not a priority, to be honest I can't remember any of mine having them on ............. certainly not after being dropped a few times.
With regards to clutch drag "they all do that Sir" but should go away once warmed up. The bikes were very much prey to the home mechanic/part time competitors and various gearbox oils were used or even ATF but again should improve once warmed up. Personally I would adjust the clutch cable, ride it and if still a problem change the gearbox oil.
They are basically a Gasgas TXT trials bike so a manual for one of those should help out but failing that I would phone a couple of Gasgas/trials bike dealers for advice (often a very friendly bunch).
They are a really simple bike but you need to form a 'bond' before you can understand it :lol:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Welcome to the world of GasGas, easy to work on for the most part.

Whilst looking for answers I came across a selection of videos made by a chap, Jim Snell, who used to be the service manager for GG USA.

I found the videos to be very informative even if they did not have the exact answer to my then questions. I list just one link, I found 28!, to give you a flavour of what is on offer;

For parts I have found the following to be very helpful;

John Shirt Motorcycles Gas Gas Buxton 01298766813
Richard Allen 07917 406313
Mike Husband Motomerlin 01403 257626

If you get stuck post up your question/s on here and I am sure that one of us will be able to help you out.

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Congratulations on joining the Pampera Owners Club!

I've spent years working on the clutch of mine to get it right.

First thing to do is dump whatever oil is in there and refill with mineral engine oil with MA approval for wet clutches. See my post earlier in the thread. It's cheap, and won't harm the clutch like some other more expensive oils do.

The drag is most likely caused by air in the clutch hydraulics ...there is no clutch cable, so you can't adjust it! You can adjust the freeplay in the master cylinder at the top, but that's quite constrained because you have to ensure the piston has full travel in both directions.
Bleed, bleed and bleed again. Be prepared to spend ages fiddling about with it as the MC reservoir is small. Finish off by using my backbleeding trick as outlined above but take care to leave enough of the bolts in the holes so as not to risk damaging the threads.

The clutch may well 'stick' from cold. Grab the front brake before putting it in gear, or it may take off unexpectedly! It should free-off rapidly.

If you do need to dive into the clutch you need to make sure everything goes back positioned exactly as it came out. From memory, I think there is a pointer on the pressure plate to help with this.

There is little data on the clutch in the unhelpful owners manual other than this:

Oil: 750cc of 10W-40.
Clutch handlebar lever free play not to exceed 5 mm
Minimum thickness of clutch fibre plates 2.9 mm
Free length of clutch springs 37mm - 38mm.

I got my replacement clutch from John Shirt Motorcycles in Buxton, which was once GasGas UK before GasGas got taken over by KTM.
https://johnshirtmotorcycles.com/

With a Pampera you have to bear in mind that you have quite an old motorcycle that was even when new was built down to a weight and down to a price. It has outstanding abilities as a trail/trials bike, but that means it gets used in conditions that would defeat a lesser machine (see almost any LDT video and the Pamperas are flying over 'stopper' obstacles). So it needs a lot of care in preparation and maintenance. It's really not a Honda!
On the plus side, they are gaining value fast, and allow an average rider to do things that would otherwise be beyond their reach.

Good luck with it...we are always here to help!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Thanks Hugh.

I think it was a Jim Snell video that warned against using anything other than mineral oil in the clutch.
IanB

Post by IanB »

I am spadger wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:27 pm Hi enjoying reading this , I’ve just collected one of these a bit impulsive as getting it home reveals a few negatives not revealed in sale ( you would trust a 67 trf member suffering from chemo treatment wouldn’t you ? )
I’m wondering where you bought clutch kit ?
Where you found a workshopmanual
no indicators but wiring there , no relay and a fairly heavy three pin plug doing nothing
Loads of clutch drag told it’s had a new clutch so I guess pop the cover off .
On a plusitstarts easy
Reading your attachments loads of info thanks should help

Any tips other than don’t buy bikes on impulse greatfully accepted
Supposed to be for the wife if I can make it good Cheers in advance : John
Hi John,
If you PM me your direct e mail address, I can send you a folder with a series of manuals that will help you :) :)
Time knows no limits for days such as these.............

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”