WANTED - Honda CRF250L or similar (freeride etc...)

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
scramblermatt

Re: WANTED - Honda CRF250L or similar (freeride etc...)

Post by scramblermatt »

Thanks for the input chaps!!

The only problem with all this is I’m now DESPERATE to get one and get riding those trails! Had a ride this morning but looking forward to going off-road!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:That 450 will chug along as gentle as anything, but I expect the suspension will be set up for quick riding.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Kawasaki KLX 250, which has excellent, trail-orientated suspension and good road manners. Sadly, it was slated by Bike magazine for not being a sportsbike, and withdrawn from the UK market.

Good points are excellent suspension and a super-quiet exhaust.

It has a small fuel tank, but this is balanced by excellent fuel economy.

Top end performance is sadly lacking as stock, but there's a secret switch under the clutch lever, which, if disconnected , makes it far faster.

If that's still not enough fo you, then it is based on a 'common platform' with the KLX300 enduro bike of the 2000s, so there is a load more performance available if you are prepared to spend to get it.

The one, insurmountable issue with it is weight. It is far heavier than, say, the KTM you mentioned. But this is true of Honda, too.

A sort of half-way house between the Japanese trail bikes and the European enduro bikes is offered by Fantic

Lots of info on the Casa 250 here

http://haines.fanticmotoruk.com/

Worth a look if there is a dealer near you. One tip...I think it is supplied with a paper air filter, which will fall to bits if it gets wet. Haines will do a proper foam filter for you.
KLX250s is a better bike the the CRF L
Better suspension out of the box
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

What do you chaps think of this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303565025345

Cheers
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'd say it looks pretty unmolested, and has done just 3000 miles a year. You'd have to do a bit of work to make it 'trail ready' but at the same time that means that it hasn't been dragged backwards through a swamp every weekend of its life.
You could get cheaper, but perhaps only with more miles/wear/damage.
That said, valuations are difficult ATM, for obvious reasons.
I was trying earlier to work out why it's a better trail bike than the Honda, and I guess it's because the Honda is pretty much a 'dirtified' road bike, while the Kwak has 'enduro DNA'. However, the Honda sold in massive quantities and revived the trail/dual-sport class in the UK, while the Kwak never took off.

I think they look better in green, but that's just me.
scramblermatt

Post by scramblermatt »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:37 pm I'd say it looks pretty unmolested, and has done just 3000 miles a year. You'd have to do a bit of work to make it 'trail ready' but at the same time that means that it hasn't been dragged backwards through a swamp every weekend of its life.
You could get cheaper, but perhaps only with more miles/wear/damage.
That said, valuations are difficult ATM, for obvious reasons.
I was trying earlier to work out why it's a better trail bike than the Honda, and I guess it's because the Honda is pretty much a 'dirtified' road bike, while the Kwak has 'enduro DNA'. However, the Honda sold in massive quantities and revived the trail/dual-sport class in the UK, while the Kwak never took off.

I think they look better in green, but that's just me.
When you say it’d take a bit of work to make it trail ready how do you mean...? Sorry for my ignorance but this is all new to me.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

scramblermatt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:40 am
frenchy3 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 am Hi,not related to the Honda CRF250L but the last three bikes i purchased have all been delivered by motorcycle courier for round about £160 depending on distance. I used www.deliveryquotecompare.com I ended up taking the towbar of my car and selling my bike trailer as i got fed up trawling round the country for bikes. I haven,t been let down yet by either the courier or the bike sellers. Don,t let distance put you off buying a bike.
Thanks for the link Frenchy. So did you buy the bike without viewing it beforehand??
Hi,i did buy all three bikes unseen and the sellers descriptions were 100% accurate in fact in some cases better than advertised and i was very happy. I daresay you could get caught out but most people are honest.
Richard Simpson Mark II

A lot of it depends on how far you want to go with personalising the bike. Plus the pics aren't very good, so it's difficult to see some details.

Essentials, in my view would be to fit rimlocks (aka security bolts) to the wheels, to enable you to drop the tyre pressures, then get the wheels rebalanced (the best rimlocks I've found have been genuine Honda ones).The tyres on it will be fine for dry conditions, but will need to be replaced with something a bit more aggressive in due course. You don't need a premium make: VeeRubber, Maxxis, and Mitas are all as good as any other and better than some for trail-riding. Also the original inner tubes on that bike were quite flimsy, and it might be worth sticking some Michelins in there and keeping the originals to use in emergencies.

Personally, I'd also look at changing the handlebars to Renthals (much stronger and lighter) and fitting some handguards to save your fingers when riding overgrown lanes and the levers when you drop it. Also, perhaps removing the long black plastic rear mudguard before it gets broken and going for a more minimalist rear end. Ditch the mirrors and the pillion footrests.

After riding it for a while, you might decide to lower the gearing a bit, but a lot depends on terrain and your technique.

But, as it stands, it could manage dry, easy trails. Many of my mods would make it less pleasant/safe to ride on the road. I usually end up having a dedicated trail bike plus another bike for running around on the roads with.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

WR250R is the best of the 250 trail bikes by some margin - IMHO ;)
Trouble is they were so expensive when new that Brits didn’t buy them in big numbers so they’re hard to get over here - very popular in US and Oz.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Flipflop wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:08 pm WR250R is the best of the 250 trail bikes by some margin - IMHO ;)
Trouble is they were so expensive when new that Brits didn’t buy them in big numbers so they’re hard to get over here - very popular in US and Oz.
Very true...I think something like £4500 when the Kwak was £3k? Although when looking at both in a multi-franchise dealer, the salesman said he could get the price of the Yam down to near the Kwak...apparently at the time Yamaha was asking silly prices for new models, then discounting them if they didn't sell. They seem to be going the other way now...with the special offer price on the T700 for the first customers as an example.

The TT-R (air-cooled predecessor to the WR) was also good. I find myself wanting a bike with fins...been giving my Aprilia Mille its first proper going-over today (have owned it for two years!), and it's beautifully put together on the one hand, but there are lines, hoses, bottles, clamps and stuff everywhere. It's got what I've since discovered is quite a sought-after single-outlet titanium Aprilia Factory Racing can, and it sounds like a symphony orchestra to my ears. It now has uprated battery, battery lines, earths and solenoid installed, so the reluctant starter issue is put to bed. Next jobs: change the oil, change the air filter and deal with a dragging rear brake.
johnnyboxer

WANTED - Honda CRF250L or similar (freeride etc...)

Post by johnnyboxer »

A bike with fins

Going to hit a few trails in the Dales today with this
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”