WANTED - Ktm 690 enduro

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
boboneleg

Re: WANTED - Ktm 690 enduro

Post by boboneleg »

john_aero wrote:

Me or Mike?
Either, i miss my 950. But i did sell it to go 690 route[/quote]

Well I may be p/x ing my 950 Adventure soon so if you want to buy it I'd rather you have it than go to a dealer.

Two owners 27,000 miles.
one-legged adventurer
john_aero

Post by john_aero »

Could you send me on some details?
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

john_aero wrote:Could you send me on some details?
PM sent
one-legged adventurer
tea007

Post by tea007 »

Are you single mike 55
tea007

Post by tea007 »

Are you single mike 55
mike55

Post by mike55 »

tea007 wrote:Are you single mike 55
No pg. I am not single. Although I don't know where my partner is right now. He left 2 years ago to get some sheep's milk. I occasionally see him on the moors chasing dolly. He will be back.

Why are you asking. Are you interested?
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

What a good thread. Enjoyed all the comments lol. 690, 500 excf and 1090 Adventure r were all on my short list. A bike which could go on road, off road, provide confidence and had received good write ups. The 690 was a mixed bag of reviews just like this thread and to be honest put me off so it came 3rd. The 500 excf came 2nd but too focussed and mantenance fussy. Would be very happy to have as a second bike if money were no object. A surprise equal 2nd, at the last minute, was a R1200GS Rallye but a bit heavy and expensive. So I ended up with a 1090 Adventure R. Being an 'evolved' 1190 r and receiving loads of positive reviews easily swayed my decision. So far I can say I have been very pleased but still early days - 1500 miles so far but can honestly say a good number have been on a mixed bag of off-road stretches from fire trail, single rut and deepish sand. Coped with it all very well including an off-road emergency stop which I couldn't have done more safely on tarmac. Horses for courses really depending on what your priorities are. That's what I think anyway!
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

I plumped for a 690 Enduro recently and my previous bike was a new CRF1000. I've also just returned from 5 years living in the Middle East and my biking fix was sated by a CRF450X, big petrol tanks and lots and lots of sand.
Amongst the issues that blew my mind on returning to live in Europe was how the roads are policed and how easy it seemed to be to lose your licence. 50 or 60mph on CRF thou is so boring, you might as well get off and walk. At least the 690 is a living,breathing beast with some life in it. When you go fast the whole machine feels alive with vibration and noise and power and that's a good thing. Bikes like the v-strom, CRF1000 etc etc are incredibly bland and akin to riding a washing machine. I suppose I grew up on X7 250s,RG500s, ZXR750s and so never really grew up.
I know it's horses for courses and if you and the missus want to get to Italy in brisk perfect comfort, a 2017 rgsftzx1290 Soopa Doopa Adventure will do the job very nicely. As will an A380.
I guess the joy of ownership is also enhanced a bit by peeking beyond the plastics and having a little delve inside the injector system or a quick whizz around the rectifier wiring.
I like my 690. It makes motorcycle ownership interesting which is my absolute minimum requirement. Few bikes I can think of nowadays will do that.
Although I could be tempted by a new Ducati Desert Sled with crappy wiring that had been built by a gently pissed Italian on a Friday afternoon
john_aero

Post by john_aero »

richeyroo wrote:I plumped for a 690 Enduro recently and my previous bike was a new CRF1000. I've also just returned from 5 years living in the Middle East and my biking fix was sated by a CRF450X, big petrol tanks and lots and lots of sand.
Amongst the issues that blew my mind on returning to live in Europe was how the roads are policed and how easy it seemed to be to lose your licence. 50 or 60mph on CRF thou is so boring, you might as well get off and walk. At least the 690 is a living,breathing beast with some life in it. When you go fast the whole machine feels alive with vibration and noise and power and that's a good thing. Bikes like the v-strom, CRF1000 etc etc are incredibly bland and akin to riding a washing machine. I suppose I grew up on X7 250s,RG500s, ZXR750s and so never really grew up.
I know it's horses for courses and if you and the missus want to get to Italy in brisk perfect comfort, a 2017 rgsftzx1290 Soopa Doopa Adventure will do the job very nicely. As will an A380.
I guess the joy of ownership is also enhanced a bit by peeking beyond the plastics and having a little delve inside the injector system or a quick whizz around the rectifier wiring.
I like my 690. It makes motorcycle ownership interesting which is my absolute minimum requirement. Few bikes I can think of nowadays will do that.
Although I could be tempted by a new Ducati Desert Sled with crappy wiring that had been built by a gently pissed Italian on a Friday afternoon
Thank for your version, that is pretty much way i am with bikes and think hell why not, ill see if can get a 690 next
Decco

Post by Decco »

I may as well throw my two pence worth in.

1st 690 enduro I bought was a dog! there is a thread about it in technical. KTM honoured warranty and replaced a second hand bike with a brand new, year newer model.

This new one has been perfect for the last 4 weeks whilst running it in.

The thing that limits the bike for me are the tyres, with the standard Saraha 3's that it came fitted with, it was great on the road and good on the dry trails, rocks and hard packed ground. Show it something a bit wet and slippy and its useless on the Sahara 3's.
I do mainly laning on mine and its quite steep and slippery around by me so I've put some knobbies on it. Now its taking everything in its stride laning wise, but its awful on the road and it needs a few more teeth on the rear for more comfortable laning / off road riding.

So I'll be buying another set of wheels and tyres for mine, I'll probably get the Supermoto wheels for road use. so there is another grand by the time I get them.

The offroad ABS is brilliant.

So as it comes it's pretty road biased, for serious ability offroad, you'll need a change of tyres, bigger rear sprocket, decent bash plate.

also of note is the rear shock is a absolute ball bag to adjust the spring preload on.
to adjust it, its front side plastics off, exhaust silencer remove, seat off,bottom subframe/tank bolts remove, flip the tank/subframe up , then unbolt the rear shock and remove it completely to adjust it in a vice. i even had to remove the ecu. airbox temp sensor plug and the battery holder was still digging into the airbox. proper poor design.

I love it though!

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”