Wanted - Decent, cheap car - sub £1,000

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
DanielS

Wanted - Decent, cheap car - sub £1,000

Post by DanielS »

Are the requirements of "Cheap" and "decent" allowed in the same statement?

My other half is learning to drive so we're on the hunt for a sub £1,000 Car. It needs be manual, petrol, small and if possible the £20 or £30 tax bracket? VW Lupo/Fox/Polo/Citroen C1/Pug 107/Toyota Yaris/Aygo type cars. Anything from about 2002 onwards as this seems to be the sweet spot for insurance.

Worth a shot asking here. We're based in East Mids, but will travel a fair bit.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Wanted - Decent, cheap car - sub £1,000

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The very cheap-to-tax-and-insure cars tend to fetch good money on the forecourt unless they are ruined.

Best bet is to scoot through Autotrader to get an idea of the prices in your region...you can extend your search area to see more cars.

There are price variations, region to region. For instance, Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud seemed to be silly money when I lived there.

I had to go as far as Oxford and Malmesbury to find decent cars at sensible prices when I lived in Gloucester.
pdwhyte75

Post by pdwhyte75 »

I have a smart car I purchased to use while my car was in the garage. Selling for 1k. Its.done 45k miles, and in good condition. It's an 02 plate. Sadly not manual as they all auto.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm The very cheap-to-tax-and-insure cars tend to fetch good money on the forecourt unless they are ruined.

Best bet is to scoot through Autotrader to get an idea of the prices in your region...you can extend your search area to see more cars.

There are price variations, region to region. For instance, Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud seemed to be silly money when I lived there.

I had to go as far as Oxford and Malmesbury to find decent cars at sensible prices when I lived in Gloucester.
Yup, I realise what you're saying, agree completely. Thankfully we have the luxury of time. I've got FB searches, Gumtree, eBay and A/T . It's a minefield though as the check-MOT website shows, there are some nails out there.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

pdwhyte75 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:33 pm I have a smart car I purchased to use while my car was in the garage. Selling for 1k. Its.done 45k miles, and in good condition. It's an 02 plate. Sadly not manual as they all auto.
Great offer and we'd love one, but she need a manual for now as I'm trying to teach her to drive. Good luck with the sale though and thanks for the offer.

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”