Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Jim Lovell

Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Post by Jim Lovell »

I've been looking for a good down bag, there seems to be alot of choice at varying prices.
I had a look in the local army surplus store and they have bags with bivvy bags etc but they seem quite bulky, is it worth sacrificing space for comfort or should i go for a smaller more expensive bag?

Not sure about the thought of a second hand bag:sick: although i guess it would be ok after a good wash:)
Real men ride twins ;-)
Mark Manley

Re: Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Post by Mark Manley »

Splash out and get yourself a RAB Jim, they are the mutt's nuts.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
bandit1250gt

Post by bandit1250gt »

I will second that.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

If you have the money spend it on a bag that packs small- a good nights sleep is important if you are riding all day...
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
Alun

Post by Alun »

Can't fault the RAB, but if you're looking for a less expensive quality alternative the Lifeventure Downlight 900 we features in ABR 1 is a good buy at just under £90. Packs down small, weighs 900gms and its treated with an anti mosquito/bug/bacteria coating, which is always handy for some of the less expensive Moroccan establishments.
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

Alun, im just looking at the article now, do you think 5c rating will be enough? as im not really sure what to expect. That would be the kind of bag im looking for and looks big enough for the beer belly:laugh:. Do you have a recomended supplier. Many thanks Jim
Real men ride twins ;-)
Alun

Post by Alun »

No recomended supplier Jim, other than the cheapest.

The temp rating of 5 will be fine in Morocco and if you buy a silk liner that'll bring it down a few more degrees and help keep the bag clean. If by any chance you find yourself in the grip of an oncoming ice age up in the Atlas, sleep in you base layer and fleece and that'll see you comfy below zero.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Also looking at the bag. You can get them for £70 from sportsdirect but Im a little unsure of buying a bag without getting in it first and trying it for size.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

I have just purchased an outwell down bag, a rectangular one as i hate the mummy type bags, like a bit of movement. Underneath the sleeping bag i am using an exped synmat 7 dlx, hopefully the two shall keep me warm enough, going to Germany a week Wednesday for a camping weekend, i suspect it may be chilly at night so i will let you know how i get on

AAAAA 031.jpg
AAAAA 031.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Any further advice on sleeping bags? Ive had a look at Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Expedition. (I know it is synthetic). I would like to have a little room in the bag which I know comes at the expense of heat efficiency. Looking for a bag to use winter camping in this country...
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”