Iceland an Scotland lightweight ADV tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
adventure steele

Iceland an Scotland lightweight ADV tent

Post by adventure steele »

Hi everyone hope we are all keeping well :) currently researching all the kit for my dream trip to Iceland and Norway next year with dad and I'm looking for my first tent which I'm planning on using up Scotland for this year.

Been looking luggage wise at the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 and 80 to fit onto the Himalayan
So trying to plan ahead a bit and go for more of a lightweight ADV Setup ready for the trips now on the *Himalayan edit*

What would you all recommend I've been looking at the
Terra Nova Laser Compact 2 1.23kg
Terra Nova Laser Starlight 2 1.53kg
Hubba Hubba NX2 1.72kg packweight
Hilleberg Niak 1.7kg
Mutha Hubba NX 2.26kg
Terra Nova voyager 2.15kg Pack weight.
Terra Nova Hoolie Compact 2.45kg

From what I've been reading up I'd be best with free standing? So that'd rule out something like the msr freelight I'm guessing and the laser compact

Anything lighter than the ones I've found that are suitable for the locations mentioned and that are freestanding?

Both 6'2 so thinking seperate tents to give us both a bit more room and then I can use mine for solo riding to.

Any I've missed or you all with more experience would recommend for those climates and locations.

Any tips on sleeping bags, matts n pillows would be greatly appreciated to :)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by adventure steele on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed

Re: Iceland an Scotland lightweight ADV tent

Post by Godspeed »

A lovely choice of tents there :)
I’ve got a couple of terra nova older style lightweight ones but one thing I would say is that I’m a short arse and if you’re 6’2 then it would definitely be worth going for something with a good internal space so it doesn’t feel claustrophobic.
I’m unsure about sizing but Alpkit.com do some reasonably priced and good spec tents
Cheers
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

Your not 'hiking' so weight isn't the most important thing, of course you don't want some massive heavy weight but ultra light useally means very expensive and at 6' 2" then spce can be tight.
I do lots of wildcamping but hike a lot so weight is a big factor but when I go on my bike then I use either my Nature Hike Cloud Up 2 which is amazing value for the weight and performance and space or my Hoolie 2 which has loads of space for me at 6ft and all my gear down the side of me, its a tunnel tent.
Go for space and comfort, dont obsess on the weight.
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

Onenoodles wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 am Your not 'hiking' so weight isn't the most important thing, of course you don't want some massive heavy weight but ultra light useally means very expensive and at 6' 2" then space can be tight in many ultralights.
I do lots of wildcamping but hike a lot so weight is a big factor but when I go on my bike then I use either my Nature Hike Cloud Up 2 which is amazing value for the weight and performance and space or my Hoolie 2 which has loads of space for me at 6ft and all my gear down the side of me, its a tunnel tent.
Go for space and comfort, dont obsess on the weight.
adventure steele

Thanks for the recommendations an advice, appreciated :) I'll check those out still learning about the best compromise on tents that's a good pointbregsrding my height though an some of the smaller ones.
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

adventure steele wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:03 am Hi everyone hope we are all keeping well :) currently researching all the kit for my dream trip to Iceland and Norway next year with dad and I'm looking for my first tent which I'm planning on using up Scotland for this year.

Been looking luggage wise at the Mosko Moto Reckless 40 and 80 to fit onto a CRF300 Rally hopefully the bike supply issues will be sorted by then an we can get one each For now I'm using my Vstrom 650xt. So Ideally after something that will fit into one of those setups undecided which to get yet.

So trying to plan ahead a bit and go for more of a lightweight ADV Setup ready for the 300 Rally.

What would you all recommend I've been looking at the
Terra Nova Laser Compact 2 1.23kg
Terra Nova Laser Starlight 2 1.53kg
Hubba Hubba NX2 1.72kg packweight
Hilleberg Niak 1.7kg
Mutha Hubba NX 2.26kg
Terra Nova voyager 2.15kg Pack weight.
Terra Nova Hoolie Compact 2.45kg

From what I've been reading up I'd be best with free standing? So that'd rule out something like the msr freelight I'm guessing and the laser compact

Anything lighter than the ones I've found that are suitable for the locations mentioned and that are freestanding?

Both 6'2 so thinking seperate tents to give us both a bit more room and then I can use mine for solo riding to.

Any I've missed or you all with more experience would recommend for those climates and locations.

Any tips on sleeping bags, matts n pillows would be greatly appreciated to :)

Thanks in advance.
I have a Salewa Litetrek2. Its a nice looking and well performing mountaineering and trekking tent and weighs 2.1kg in a 40cm x 19cm pack size. It's freestanding and incredibly easy to pitch and does so inner and flysheet together Its supposed to be a 2 man but its very cosy for 2 people. Price-wise, it's similar to the others.
adventure steele

Thanks I'll check that out :)

At the moment I'm thinking Staika or Soulo BL I like the Nammatj 2 but it's not freestanding
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Pack size & weight aren't the most important factors on the bike when wild camping, or where the weather is usually 'challenging'.... free standing in case tent pegs aren't happening & flysheet first if it hasn't stopped raining for 24 hrs are the main considerations. That tent choice could be the difference between an unpleasant camping experience & a complete disaster
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I have one of these https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15978721/b ... t-15978721 and found it very good so far.
Pitch outer first, is always good in my book. I can fit in the porch in a helinox style seat, so good space.
NOt a bad pack size and ok weight for packing on a motorbike.
adventure steele

Thanks :) really appreciate the advice I'll check that one out at the moment I'm considering the Soulo BL and 2.8KG 1 person by Hilleberg and the Staika 2 person at 4kg person which is another blackline although heavy which is something I'm trying to justify but having said that late on in the season in Iceland I think we will be glad of the extra tent ability vs the 1-2kg of weight difference between the ones I was looking at previously in the lightweight tents easy enough to save elsewhere weight wise, gonna check if they will fit in the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 or Back country panniers tomorrow on the spec sheet :)

Plus i've seen the consequence first hand of a tent failure mountaineering in the middle of nowhere luckily we were in decent tents so was able to help the other people when a freak storm happened so I'm tempted to overtent slightly just for that availability from what everyone been saying the weather can get pretty nasty in Iceland an I'm planning on being over for a month so thinking one of those two Hilleberg's make sense has anyone used one of those two models?

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”