Leatherman repairs/guarantee

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Zookman

Re: Leatherman repairs/guarantee

Post by Zookman »

Leatherman are excellent quality multitools and their lifetime warranty obviously stands up.
I have a Leatherman Skeletool, but due to the (illegal to carry without good reason) locking blade i dont carry it around with me and it lives under the seat of one of my bikes, although its probably highly unlikely i'd get nicked with it.
So i have a Victorinox SAK , thats permanently attached to my keys. This gets used a lot more as its always with me. It also has a corkscrew.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I've never given any thought to the legality of carrying it on me. I wake up, throw on the combats and drop it into my pocket. I've gone everywhere with it on me, the bank, police station, supermarket.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

AlanHolt wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 pm I've never given any thought to the legality of carrying it on me. I wake up, throw on the combats and drop it into my pocket. I've gone everywhere with it on me, the bank, police station, supermarket.
As i say, very little chance of getting nicked carrying one....
But personally i dont want that small chance, especially with the media and police attention on knife crime at the moment. Also i can still legally carry a knife/tool with the Victorinox.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As a result of this thread, I decided to test Victorinox Swiss army knife service.
Some 30 odd years ago I picked up a used Swiss army knife, it has seen much service over the.years. with a result that the main blade and one of the other tools had snapped (fair bit of abuse on my part) the spring for the scissors, toothpick and tweezers all lost.

Found the service centre for UK Victorinox and sent it off for repairs.
The knife was returned today some 6weeks later fully refurbished and sharpened and all missing parts replaced.
Cost of service was £9.98 mainly due to the abuse the knife had taken in snapping the blades otherwise it would of been FOC

Maybe not as good as the Leatherman service but still good and hopefully the knife will now last another 30years.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

zimtim wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:04 pm As a result of this thread, I decided to test Victorinox Swiss army knife service.
Some 30 odd years ago I picked up a used Swiss army knife, it has seen much service over the.years. with a result that the main blade and one of the other tools had snapped (fair bit of abuse on my part) the spring for the scissors, toothpick and tweezers all lost.

Found the service centre for UK Victorinox and sent it off for repairs.
The knife was returned today some 6weeks later fully refurbished and sharpened and all missing parts replaced.
Cost of service was £9.98 mainly due to the abuse the knife had taken in snapping the blades otherwise it would of been FOC

Maybe not as good as the Leatherman service but still good and hopefully the knife will now last another 30years.
Still great for a tenner, do you have before and after photos please?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Sorry Bren didnt take any before photos
ImageIMG_20190402_170456543 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20190402_170526216 by Tim Bartels, on Flickr

As you can see looks brand new they even replaced the sides,so all in I am well chuffed and will definitely recommend and use service in future. just wish i had known before i went and bought a new knife a couple years back.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Very nice, I love a pen knife.

I've not got a magnifying glass on mine, has it ever come in handy?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:30 pm Very nice, I love a pen knife.

I've not got a magnifying glass on mine, has it ever come in handy?
A couple times
Fine print on
Meds.
DVD

That sought of thing,

Had a go at lighting a fire, worked okay, but took an age.
All in a handy gadget to have, used it more than some of the others on there.
I like the size of this knife it has enough bits on it to be useful.

Some have far to many blades now.

My other one has about half the gadgets. Still useful.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Zookman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm .................................... due to the (illegal to carry without good reason) locking blade i dont carry it around with me and it lives under the seat of one of my bikes, although its probably highly unlikely i'd get nicked with it................
my Sideclip is UK legal EDC having a non locking sub 3" knife blade but it lacks most of the other tools which I find handy, file, saw, scissors.

I have a Wave mk1 which is great, but "illegal" to carry, on paper anyway. I got stopped at Southampton trying to get on the liner Britannia with it in my luggage (never even gave it a thought, just threw it in the bag) and got called down to the basement where they x-ray everything. funny thing is customs and the cops in there couldn't care less about me walking through the terminal to put it back in the car, I just couldn't take it onboard in case I sink the ship filing a hole in the side or whatever.
those x-ray machines are good, they told me it was a Leatherman Wave before id even unlocked the case they knew exactly what they were looking at. I wonder if it was the Sideclip they would've let it go?
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”