Max gear weight for soft pannier

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
brownie0486

Max gear weight for soft pannier

Post by brownie0486 »

Soft panniers with backing on racks

38L=10 gallons,
45L=12 gallons

Any idea on max gear weight in each in plates attached to racks?

BMW Vario cases are rated for 22# of gear in each pannier, as an example. I'm thinking I can take the soft bags to 28#'s of gear safely in each bag, but what's the consensus opinion from our esteemed members here?

thanks
brownie0486

Re: Max gear weight for soft pannier

Post by brownie0486 »

No one has an idea of how much weight can be placed in racked soft luggage safely?
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I suppose it depends on what the panniers and racks are made of.
Carrier bags and sticks, not much. Textile bags and metal racks could hold quite a bit more.
There's only one way to find out........ :roll:
brownie0486

Post by brownie0486 »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:47 pm I suppose it depends on what the panniers and racks are made of.
Carrier bags and sticks, not much. Textile bags and metal racks could hold quite a bit more.
There's only one way to find out........ :roll:
That's not an option, forethought goes a long way. There should be enough people here who've used soft luggage on plates attached to racks and either learned the hard way themselves or have first hand knowledge from their own experiences with packing panniers

But thanks for the reply
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

What does the bike's manufacturer say about max weights?

Who makes the soft panniers and racks: what do they say about max weights?

What speeds will you go at.

In practice, the type of road you are travelling on will also have an impact, as will what you put in the panniers (hard, sharp, soft?) and how you pack them.

In the days when a motorcycle was my only transport, I put some pretty heavy loads in old-school throwover panniers...but used great care in packing & securing them.
brownie0486

Post by brownie0486 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm What does the bike's manufacturer say about max weights?

Irrelevant, the GS is rated for way more weight than I and gear.

Who makes the soft panniers and racks: what do they say about max weights?

Lone Rider, and they don't state max weights. If they had, I'd have not posted asking :D

What speeds will you go at.

0-90mph, depending

In practice, the type of road you are travelling on will also have an impact, as will what you put in the panniers (hard, sharp, soft?) and how you pack them.

Acknowledged and understood. Made for the GS, an on/off road affair, they are expected to see varied terrain/use

In the days when a motorcycle was my only transport, I put some pretty heavy loads in old-school throwover panniers...but used great care in packing & securing them.
Thank you for your response/questions
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Have a look at this from the opposite angle.
Collect together everything that you think that you want to take, pack it, weigh it.
If it seems OK attach it to the bike, still feel OK? Go for a short ride.

When you get back, unpack it and decided that a manual toothbrush will be lighter than the electric one, one pair of shoes is enough, you don’t need a beach towel etc etc.

Then repack, repeat.

Let us know how it goes.
brownie0486

Post by brownie0486 »

OnHellas wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm Have a look at this from the opposite angle.
Collect together everything that you think that you want to take, pack it, weigh it.
If it seems OK attach it to the bike, still feel OK? Go for a short ride.

When you get back, unpack it and decided that a manual toothbrush will be lighter than the electric one, one pair of shoes is enough, you don’t need a beach towel etc etc.

Then repack, repeat.

Let us know how it goes.
I know what I want to bring, did all that planning for the trip to Ak. last year. My question is how much I can store in the soft bags vs what I KNEW I could store in the BMW Varios [ because bmw lists their weight restrictions ].
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Maybe you should find a different set of soft bags where the manufacturer states a limit? If any do?

I think a lot of it will come down to common sense. One of the set ups from giant loop that use the rear seat as well may be the way forward.
brownie0486

Post by brownie0486 »

OnHellas wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 pm Maybe you should find a different set of soft bags where the manufacturer states a limit? If any do?

I think a lot of it will come down to common sense. One of the set ups from giant loop that use the rear seat as well may be the way forward.
Having spent considerable money on the bags I have, and the fact no maker of soft bags gives that information [ other than sw motech's dakar soft 32 liter bags which have a stated limit of 11#'s ] that I can find, that's not really a solution.

I'd have thought enough riders had been using soft panniers of different makers/volumes to be able to give guidance on the potential weight limits from experiences. But I appreciate the responses regardless.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”