Tyvek ultralite groundsheet?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
bikenav

Tyvek ultralite groundsheet?

Post by bikenav »

dabbled a bit last year with the tarp only wild camping but had no groundsheet arrangement so have been looking at this material Tyvek ultralite to try and create a custom sized "groundsheet", colour not too stealthy I agree, its for sale on the bay for this purpose . Looking for the obvious properties -lightweight, reasonable hard wearing, waterproof, easy and low pack volume. Anyone out there with practical experience in this application or of the material in general? ta.
herman

Re: Tyvek ultralite groundsheet?

Post by herman »

We have used it and its competitors for years in timber frame and for roofing felt. Quite strong for its weight but will fray . If you could heat seal or sew the edges? The pic on ebay is roofing felt nothing more fancy than that. Interesting :geek:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daryl

Post by daryl »

I've used it under a tent, and it worked fine. It packs down super small and is reasonably hard wearing. I ended up replacing it after about two years with a heavier dupont fabric (Tyvek SuPro) that's even tougher and claims to be more water resistant with the associated size/weight compromise.

For comparison here's the same size/shape footprint in both materials :
footprint.jpg
footprint.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
For the edges of the lighter material I used contact cement to make a folded seam and it's not frayed yet.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks for the response I will get a bit and give it a try.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I wouldnt tbh. Its ok under a groundsheet but AS a groundsheet? no. It's "breathable" so when you put weight on it it will let water through etc.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

If you need waterproof just get some builders Dpm plastic sheet and cut to size , it comes in blue or black and different thickness ,

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”