Backpac's - Kriega R20

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
waggy

Backpac's - Kriega R20

Post by waggy »

Hi Chaps,

I need to start carrying my works 15 inch laptop between home and work on a more regular basis. It will not fit in my topbox and I am not sure I want a bigger one. I have used a normal backpac / rucsac but always found them uncomfortable on a bike but have started to look at these again as an option for the laptop.

What are peoples thoughts on the Kriega range and mainly the R20 as that is the one that my laptop will fit in, or what other makes are as good / better?

I have seen a few on ebay for sale and was wondering why so many are up for sale if they are so good?

Cheers

David
redbikejohn

Re: Backpac's - Kriega R20

Post by redbikejohn »

I bought a R35 rucksack on eBay having wanted one for ages but didn't fancy paying the new price. I have to say I didn't like it which was disappointing having wanted one for so long. I didn't get on with the front harness bit with the large pad and zip. It prevents you accessing jacket and also stops you opening zip to get some air flow into jacket in summer. It also did not sit nicely on chest as it seemed too high once straps were adjusted. Further, the main bag is too long and there isn't enough pockets big enough ...... everything ends up at the bottom. I sold it on here 😘 and went back to my old rucksack.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

I have a R20 and R25. Use them for road and trail. The R20 is >10yrs old and is still serviceable.
I find them comfortable and stable, even when off road.

The hydration pack and valves are durable and easier to use than a Camelbak IMO.

An added feature, is that you can attach a small Kriega US pack to the rear face if you need extra space for particular trip, then remove afterward.

Top quality product - you get what you pay for IMO
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A bit off-topic, but as it's 'work's' and not yours, you may want to check insurance cover.

Personally, I wouldn't carry something like that on my back on a motorcycle...dangerous for it and you.
Moo

Post by Moo »

I've had most of the Kriega backpacks... the only one i kept is the R20! Its the best size of them all, small enough with a minimal front clip, but will fit plenty in for a weekend trip. Pretty water resistant, very comfy for long journeys.

Its not as intrusive as the larger ones with the huge front clips.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I have an R20 which I bought to replace a much loved R15 (I wish i'd bought another R15). I think you will struggle as a laptop bag due to shape, it will fit the laptop but you won't get much else in there......cut your sarnies small.

I would have a look at a dedicated laptop rucksack, something with an internal padded section, I used to have a fantastic Crumpler bag back when I bicycled around or look at getting a larger top box?
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Kriega used to do a dedicated lap top bag/satchel as I sold a couple.
Check their website.
one-legged adventurer
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

one-legged adventurer
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

boboneleg wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 am Kriega used to do a dedicated lap top bag/satchel as I sold a couple.
Check their website.
I've got the smaller one, its pretty good in all honesty. Handy to have my netbook in the main pocket with a spare shit and cables and whatnot in a us5 on the front. The bigger one will take 2 us5's.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I've never had any kriega kit leak, even after being submerged in a river.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Funny that you can vouch for it not letting liquids in ....
I'm not sure about everyone else but I've never had any kriega kit leak, even after being submerged in a river.

I can vouch for it not letting liquids out !!
Went to a Salisbury ABC weekend a while back and the bunkhouse was a few miles from the nearest pub so I planned ahead
I put two 4 packs of ale tins in my US10 and then put that in my roll bag. Not wanting to lose the lot I pulled the straps extra tight
When I arrived ... my bag smelled of beer. Luckily I opened the US10 over the shower tray.
I nearly cried as 2 cans had leaked inside the Kriega bag - but luckily my clothes etc were still dry

They should use that one for their adverts!
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”