Recommend a tail pack

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Griff097

Re: Recommend a tail pack

Post by Griff097 »

JB66 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm Hey Griff,

Which Oxford drybag do you have? The backpack type?

I use an Oxford 50. You’ll need tie down straps. I don’t find it bulky on the bike at all, if anything I’d probably get something bigger. It’s my first tail pack so I didn’t want something too bulky. Now I’ve ridden with it, like I say, I’d probably just go bigger. As long as you pack heavy stuff central and pack out the sides evenly, it makes no difference. Fine for filtering etc too. Here’s what it’s like on a bike. https://noobnorm.com/best-waterproof-mo ... -tail-bag/

If that’s the drybag you’re saying you have already, I know they do a 30L version. Comes with a shoulder strap and is more compact, but at 30L, I’d probably just use a large tank bag, as it’s less messing around.

I can strap my Course backpack right on it, which so far, has been waterproof too. I saw it on eBay for £25, so Googled it, and they were on XL moto for a tenner…looks like they still are: https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/course-slipstr ... t-backpack

Hope that helps.

I can't remember the model but looks the same size as the one in your link, the other problem I have is tying it on so it wont move around over bumps and it pushes on my lower back a bit, it's too big to have right on the rack as the weight is too high and far back and just in front of the rack pushes into me, but I have long arms and like to sit slightly further back on the seat where it's more comfortable.
micksea

Post by micksea »

kriega us30,if you don"t fill it you can tighten it down,they don"t move.plus if you don"t fill it you can take some of my ever increasing mountain of crap to morocco for me.On a side note,if you get the one from XLmoto which ninja turtle do you want to be known as???? :D
JB66

Post by JB66 »

Griff097 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm
JB66 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:01 pm Hey Griff,

Which Oxford drybag do you have? The backpack type?

I use an Oxford 50. You’ll need tie down straps. I don’t find it bulky on the bike at all, if anything I’d probably get something bigger. It’s my first tail pack so I didn’t want something too bulky. Now I’ve ridden with it, like I say, I’d probably just go bigger. As long as you pack heavy stuff central and pack out the sides evenly, it makes no difference. Fine for filtering etc too. Here’s what it’s like on a bike. https://noobnorm.com/best-waterproof-mo ... -tail-bag/

If that’s the drybag you’re saying you have already, I know they do a 30L version. Comes with a shoulder strap and is more compact, but at 30L, I’d probably just use a large tank bag, as it’s less messing around.

I can strap my Course backpack right on it, which so far, has been waterproof too. I saw it on eBay for £25, so Googled it, and they were on XL moto for a tenner…looks like they still are: https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/course-slipstr ... t-backpack

Hope that helps.

I can't remember the model but looks the same size as the one in your link, the other problem I have is tying it on so it wont move around over bumps and it pushes on my lower back a bit, it's too big to have right on the rack as the weight is too high and far back and just in front of the rack pushes into me, but I have long arms and like to sit slightly further back on the seat where it's more comfortable.
A normal backpack is about 15L-20L I believe. So, if yours just about fits “overnight” type stuff in, then it’s probably 30L. If you can add in a few sets of clothes, security, small tents and sleeping bags etc, it’s probably the 50L.

I had the same problem (pushing on lower back & couldn’t wear backpack).

I secure it like this.

1. Use 2 of the 4 straps provided by Oxford, through the D-rings that are on the bottom of the bag, around the seat and under the fender.
2. 2 x bungees. Each diagonal and wrapped out the rear light assembly.

#2 doesn’t just make it rock solid, as I secure them to the top and back of the bag, they pull it away from my back, just enough to wear a backpack.
That said, I prefer to just strap it on the Oxford.
JB66

Post by JB66 »

micksea wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:45 pm kriega us30,if you don"t fill it you can tighten it down,they don"t move.plus if you don"t fill it you can take some of my ever increasing mountain of crap to morocco for me.On a side note,if you get the one from XLmoto which ninja turtle do you want to be known as???? :D
I did think that when it arrived :lol: but it does the job and it was cheap

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”