Tubed puncture repair stuff

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
AlanHolt

Tubed puncture repair stuff

Post by AlanHolt »

I decided to jump on the KTM to travel a few KM to see a mate and got my first puncture in over 10 years and I didn't have anything with me to repair it with, so what do you guys carry that has proven to be worth having? I've tried glueless patches on my mountainbike and wasn't impressed. Similarly with certain pumps. I've got some Motion Pro levers, i need patches that work and a good pump, whether hand or from a cig lighter, and i'll get a couple of tubes when i'm in town tomorrow.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
micksea

Re: Tubed puncture repair stuff

Post by micksea »

Spare front tube,tools,levers and a pump.wouldnt bother with tube repairs if your not going far,repair them at home and leave them a couple of days to see if they stay inflated then pack em back on the bike.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

You could install or run with slime in the inner tubes as it will potentially plug smaller nail holes until you can do a proper fix.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Good morning.....

I travel with a mini pump.....along with a front tube stashed in an old cut off section of inner tube across my handlebar cross brace. Keeps the UV here off of it.

http://www.motopumps.com/

Three short tyre levers and I buy my patches at tractor supply. I'm finding it difficult to find patches in other places these days as most moto shops only stock tubeless repair. Halfords in the UK may have a moto size kit?

I've seen others use bicycle patches but I often find they move or peel off resulting in them having a slow puncture after a spell.........with the smallest of tractor patches you'll at least have a good covering of patch over a small hole and one is not tempted to use any other. My shower gel keeps the tyre lubed.

I carry all in an old taped up tobacco tin under my seat. What also makes ideal containers is if you keep an eye out at the Tampax counter......some packs have the same tins on promotion for handbag storage.........I think that's the only benefit I've found with having two daughters!!!

All the best

:D
Will It Buff Out?
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Thedktor wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:55 am Patches:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top ... 1438.l2649

Glue:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top ... 4178e616a3

But carry a spare front tube anyway.

I have one quip to make about that solution as advertised......they say its free from solvent and any aromatic compounds........what is wrong with the world these days when one can't enjoy the nostalgic odour of rubber solution!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will It Buff Out?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’ve got a type of tyre Slime and have just bought some gas canisters and applicator for a push bike from Lidl to top up if required.
Haven’t a clue if it works and don’t really want to find out.

I can’t think of anything more depressing or awkward than having to fix a puncture at the roadside. Particularly if it’s cold or wet. I used foam before and that was enough to get me or the other guy home and worked in my bike trailer the other day when the valve started detaching from the tube.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

WIBO wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 am Good morning.....

I travel with a mini pump.....along with a front tube stashed in an old cut off section of inner tube across my handlebar cross brace. Keeps the UV here off of it.

http://www.motopumps.com/

Three short tyre levers and I buy my patches at tractor supply. I'm finding it difficult to find patches in other places these days as most moto shops only stock tubeless repair. Halfords in the UK may have a moto size kit?

I've seen others use bicycle patches but I often find they move or peel off resulting in them having a slow puncture after a spell.........with the smallest of tractor patches you'll at least have a good covering of patch over a small hole and one is not tempted to use any other. My shower gel keeps the tyre lubed.

I carry all in an old taped up tobacco tin under my seat. What also makes ideal containers is if you keep an eye out at the Tampax counter......some packs have the same tins on promotion for handbag storage.........I think that's the only benefit I've found with having two daughters!!!

All the best

You can use the Tampax for plugging bullet holes or for stuffing in your ears when chunky butt is in the tent next to you :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

10 years is amazing 8-)

best to carry tubes .. and a repair out fit ...you can change out in any weather ..and repair your thorned tube at the digs or at least when its clean and dry ..you have zero chance of patching a tube when its wet and muddy ..or even worse rip the valve out

..id recoment a ugly stick ..axle stand to prop the bike up

puctures are such ajoy i made a video

on a personal note ive now converted all me wheels to tubless all ten of them four bikes and two spare wheels ..the caviat being that i keep all presures at 15psi and above done around 10k since march including a full off road tour of albania /monternegro on a metzler unicross
enduro tyre ....and am made up with the outcome ...all wheels are now self sealing [within reason } still carry tubes should i get a slash puncture or a nail though the sidewall or have to blow the tyre back on the bead ...but me spare tubes have sat silent and thats a world record for me ...

lots to consider .. but its working well for me

ImageDSC_1015 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1031 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1014 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1099 by minkyhead56, on Flickr

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

If I rode more I would definitely go Tubliss but it’s not really justifiable at the moment.
My trail riding is mostly road, dry dust or mud with no rocky bits in Sussex so most at risk from road debris, which is where my punctures have come from.
The foam got me down 5 lanes and 17 miles home without losing more than a couple of psi. Surprisingly impressed for a hole from a 6” nail.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”