Packable down jacket

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
mechanic

Re: Packable down jacket

Post by mechanic »

Trouble with down, if it gets wet, it’s useless and takes forever to dry. Although it does have a smaller pack size. I take synthetic evertime on mixed weather trips. Al least with man made is still keeps you warm when wet. I had a down jacket on a lakes trip. Got soaked on the first day unable to use it after that for the rest of the trip. Try drying one in a tent or around a fire! Man made fibres have improved greatly in recent years. You should consider one really.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I use a real lightweight down jacket from Decathlon, cost about 50 euros if memory serves me right. It’s their Quechua make. Packs real small.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I may be missing something here but the expensive man made fibre jackets must be very good im sure, but i bought a fibre padded jacket from Primark for a recent trip for £15.00 and it did keep me warm, and was fit for purpose, and folded into its own stuff sack which was very small. I didn't get it wet though so cannot comment how quick it would be to dry, but are the more expensive brands really that much better? (or am i just a cheapskate skinflint hehe!)
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Mountain Warehouse may have some still in stock.
My down one packs down very small and I survived -25 on Spitsbergen, Svalbard with it. No weight to the jacket whatsoever.
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

dibbs wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 am I may be missing something here but the expensive man made fibre jackets must be very good im sure, but i bought a fibre padded jacket from Primark for a recent trip for £15.00 and it did keep me warm, and was fit for purpose, and folded into its own stuff sack which was very small. I didn't get it wet though so cannot comment how quick it would be to dry, but are the more expensive brands really that much better? (or am i just a cheapskate skinflint hehe!)
Down is lighter, warmer, more comfortable and packs smaller. Just don’t get it wet. I too have a £15 man made fibre, also from Decathlon, I just wear it under my biking jacket in the winter when temperatures drop down to single digits. Doesn’t mater if that one gets wet and dirty. The down one’s for cooler evenings or cold nights under canvas.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

dibbs wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:58 am I may be missing something here but the expensive man made fibre jackets must be very good im sure, but i bought a fibre padded jacket from Primark for a recent trip for £15.00 and it did keep me warm, and was fit for purpose, and folded into its own stuff sack which was very small. I didn't get it wet though so cannot comment how quick it would be to dry, but are the more expensive brands really that much better? (or am i just a cheapskate skinflint hehe!)
I do find the more expensive ones are better stitched & usually last longer. I have a few I use, a trendy Michael Kors down I bought in TKMaxx about 6 years ago, very warm for the size & is the liner in all my jackets & with me on all spring / summer camping trips, a Rab down that was 50% off years ago I can wear under or over my bike jackets & a synthetic Snugpac I bought the other year which is pretty waterproof & again goes over in the winter.

I don't mind stretching to sale prices :lol: especially if you can make them multi task
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Pineapple Chunk

Post by Pineapple Chunk »

I have had a Rab for years it packs into the top pocket making it really small, bit pricey but worth it.
Brads

Post by Brads »

Well, after all that imagine what I ended up buying !?

Superdry ! lol. Cracking real down packable jacket that looks smart, for 60 odd quid.

I know I said no fashion shit, but it was the best one I looked at and at that price was a no brainer.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
scouse

Post by scouse »

vRSG60 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:26 pm Montane Prism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup - even with the wired hood is also wearable beneath a bike jacket. Also Rab do some good jackets.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”