advice on soft panniers

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
minkyhead

Re: advice on soft panniers

Post by minkyhead »

big al wrote:May I ask Markyt why are you going for soft paniers, why not gor for
ali ones, That way if you are camping you can use them for all sorts of uses and they are totaly water proof they don't even have to be expensive ones.
Cheers
AL
my reason is from a bad expieriance

i used to use them and they were good for carrieng stuff
but one fine day i trapped me right leg under one in a rut ..i think me foot got caught in a bramble and got dragged back as the bike went in ..i was very very lucky it was soft waterlogged ground ... i was also lucky i was not on my own ..i was well and truly trapped ..hard ground i would have ripped somthing to shreds or broke me leg ..it was quite a eye opener and a eye waterer to ..it frightened me ..i was lucky

took them off and sold them i would never ever use them off road again .. ..
the reasoning being id rather have a snapped strap than a snapped leg ...
i use a secure top box and throwovers for that reason the cost is not a consideration to me at all..
i realise i was unlucky but it really did hurt bad ..i know theres some real good expieriaced riders here and everone can figure out pros and cons on luggage
just a well meaning non patronising reminder to watch thse dangly legs
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
markyt

Post by markyt »

simon-vstrom wrote:I bought some Oxford First Time soft panniers over a year ago. They are the budget type and typically around £50 – although George White Outlet in Swindon had them for £35 – bargain.

To be honest, they scratched my bike and offered no security. Anyone could help themselves to my stuff, so for the second Europe trip I treated myself to a set of Givi hard panniers. At £100 plus £100 for the frame/ fixings it is a much better solution – but money is always an issue…

If you’re interested in my Oxford soft panniers than send me a personal message – happy to off load them to a good home (or bike!).

cheers mate pm sent
markyt

Post by markyt »

big al wrote:May I ask Markyt why are you going for soft paniers, why not gor for
ali ones, That way if you are camping you can use them for all sorts of uses and they are totaly water proof they don't even have to be expensive ones.
Cheers
AL
thanks mate i hadnt thought about ali but when camping i try to travel very light so i think soft panniers may do me:unsure: . that may change later on but for now i think ill try em and see
dazedproductions

Post by dazedproductions »

+1 for the ortlieb, I use them on my KTM525. Apart from half burning through one of the straps in a case of user error they have been great. All the ortlieb kit I have ever had has been excellent so when looking at panniers I wasn't interested in anything else.
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

Every time I see a thread asking for advice about soft panniers, or soft luggage in general, there are always several posts stating lack of security. It's obvious that anyone with a half decent penknife can have your bags away or slice open a pannier and escape with twenty quids worth of M&S underwear. But, in 35 years of riding with both hard and soft luggage, I've never personally had a problem, never met anyone to which it has happened, nor seen anyone post saying it has happened to them.

If I'm using soft luggage, I never have anything of value in it generally only clothing, all my valables are in my tank bag, which comes off the bike and goes with me if I'm off for lunch, sight seeing or whatever.

As for security of hard panniers, any one with a half decent screwdriver can be in them just as quick.

Riding off road, soft panniers do provide a softer landing when coming off, and personal injury is probably less likely. Unlike the security issue, I have seen regular posts from people who have been injured with hard luggage. As soft panniers are usually smaller than hard luggage it also forces you to pack a bit lighter which again is no bad thing.

On a sperate note about burnt straps on soft luggage, all the Wolfman bags have replaceable straps for this reason, many don't.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Refenerce Joe's above post ..

A point on the Ortlieb packs I have the straps are not replaceable (sewn in) with plastic fasteners . A big down on design compared to the wolfman ones.
The wolfman fitting system is also better IMO..

It can be a right pain to get the ortliebs secured correctly using the soft frames I have , but some practice makes it fairly easy. I usually use cable ties on the plastic fasteners so they cant become unclicked.

But when I am using them its only for a weekend camp so just leave them on (emptied).

Not the best design but for my budget, works for me .

(Away to drool over the wolfman ones now )
big al

Post by big al »

Fair enought Minkyhead, totally understand where ur coming from.
I guss its personall choice.
lostinthewilderness

Post by lostinthewilderness »

Ortlieb have been fantastic for me.(See Avatar). 3 days around Ireland in the non stop rain and all gear as dry as a bone! Good kit, and not so expensive either. If you're paranoid about saftey, pack light and take them with you!
Cheers
Matt
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Enenin' all,

I'm glad someone else brought up the subject of 'security' of hard luggage. I've yet to meet the person who's had their soft panniers slashed open - as Joe Bar rightly says; All for what? A few smelly pants and socks!

I carried my Macbook in my panniers for a month this summer, but no-one ever knew it was there, so what's the security risk? Otherwise when the panniers were unloaded and tucked away in my tent I carried it, and my other valuables, with me when I was away from the bike, in restaurants, sight seeing, etc.

I'd like to see some statistics rather than just forum gossip - not a reflection on this forum of course! I really think it's a question of assessing risk ("Oh no!, Not Health and Safety regs!", I hear some of you cry!) I can only speak for Spain, where the only serious risk areas are motorway service stations and in out-of-town shopping centres, and what biker in their right mind is to be found in either of these locations?

OK, me, I was that biker! I had to go to a Decathlon in Portugal and left my empty map case/tank bag on the bike - and guess what, in the twenty minutes or so I was in the store - with the bike parked right outside the door/cash desks - someone had 'investigated' the 'secret' pocket where you normally keep your passport, etc. But even if my soft luggage was on the bike - it was back at the camping and possibly under more risk - I hardly suppose anyobe would have slashed it open just on the off-chance of said smelly knickers.

When I was last in Marocco, OK, about twenty years ago, you left you vehivcle under the supervision of a Guardienne anyway, so what's the difference. And when I was in South America, Guyana to be precise, your main problem is getting in the way of the villains - the Thomas Cook travel sickness database listed 'aggravated burglary' as the most serious health risk - no innoculation for that even today methinks!

So although my mate Barcelona Pat has bought hard panniers for his Trans-Am trip for security purposes I doubt that they really make much difference apart from the comfort factor - which in fairness I reckon is seriously important and should be acknowledged as such.

So much for my twopenn'th :cheer:

Enjoy

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”