Holts Tyreweld.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SteveW

Re: Holts Tyreweld.

Post by SteveW »

dibbs wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:09 am Strangely one of the guys I was riding with on Sunday used this for a puncture and it was shite!! leaking from the hose and it was like a white foam, is there two different types? also I unscrew the valve nut back up as far as the dust cap to allow for valve movement
Did he remove the valve from the stem before he attached the tube from the Tyreweld can?
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

No! he didn't....but if you were to remove the valve first, when you unscrewed the can, wouldn't all the air then escape from the wheel in a foamy mess!!!! is this product supposed to re inflate the tyre as well as seal the hole? Ive never used it myself so would be interested in the correct procedure as changing a puncture is much more of a faff!!! (potentially!)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/tyreweld/

no need to remove the valve, apparently ... but it does gunge the valve up so you can't inflate it [by hand], (if you leave it a while).

must admit, it did not work for me when I bought some to fix a puncture, but I must have ridden a while before noticing the puncture, and a bit after too, causing tube damage?
(I still hope it will work on an E09 though, [with tube])
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

dibbs wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:28 pm No! he didn't....but if you were to remove the valve first, when you unscrewed the can, wouldn't all the air then escape from the wheel in a foamy mess!!!! is this product supposed to re inflate the tyre as well as seal the hole? Ive never used it myself so would be interested in the correct procedure as changing a puncture is much more of a faff!!! (potentially!)
Oops! Yes you don't remove the valve.
The three times I've used it's been successful. All three have been with tubed tyres.
The first two were nail/screw punctures. The third was a detached valve stem (remember my tip about rubber washers in my OP)
The first puncture the inner tube was in ribbons, the tyre was totally off the bead.
I positioned the tyre as best I could on the rim, I thought no-way will this work, but after a bit of leakage from between the rim and tyre, the foam popped the tyre back and sealed.
My biggest problems with roadside tube changes, especially with narrow rims is the big chance of a pinch puncture just as I get the last bit of tyre onto the rim.
It's much better to use the foam as a get-me-home, then I can use my cheap tyre machine to refit the tyre without using leavers.
mikeXTZ

Post by mikeXTZ »

I had a puncture a few years ago whilst riding on the road, luckily close to a lay by. There were an elderly couple sitting in a car in front of me, but i was busy sorting the tyre weld out. The gentleman came out of the car in a few minutes, and the foam was pouring out of the valve stem. It turns out he was from a family of motcross competitors and showed me a tip to stop the leaking.

Undo the nut on the valve stem, and wind some string or similar around the stem, and then tighten the nut down. I used a piece of torn rag, and it got me home which was over 50 miles on A and B roads.

I now have taped inside the rim with 1 inch gaffa tape, use slime or similar, and have placed an O ring around the valve stem under the nut, hoping that if i were to get a puncture, the tube would deflate slower, and if i used tyre weld, it will have a better chance of sealing.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

mikeXTZ wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:17 pm I had a puncture a few years ago whilst riding on the road, luckily close to a lay by. There were an elderly couple sitting in a car in front of me, but i was busy sorting the tyre weld out. The gentleman came out of the car in a few minutes, and the foam was pouring out of the valve stem. It turns out he was from a family of motcross competitors and showed me a tip to stop the leaking.

Undo the nut on the valve stem, and wind some string or similar around the stem, and then tighten the nut down. I used a piece of torn rag, and it got me home which was over 50 miles on A and B roads.

I now have taped inside the rim with 1 inch gaffa tape, use slime or similar, and have placed an O ring around the valve stem under the nut, hoping that if i were to get a puncture, the tube would deflate slower, and if i used tyre weld, it will have a better chance of sealing.
See my tip on my opening post.....carry some rubber washers (2 will be enough) put them over the valve stem and tighten down.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Great tips.

I use white correction fluid to mark the alignment of the tyre to the rim, rubber washer on inside rim and exterior lock washers between nut and valve cap.
valve align.jpg
valve align.jpg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
When I replace a tyre I also replace the tube at the same time, expensive, relatively speaking but limits problems later. Pay upfront and play later for longer.

I have used "Slime" in the tubes as I think that it lubes the inside of the tube to help prevent snake bites at low tyre pressures, just remember to set the valve above 9o'clock when checking tyre pressures or look like :mrgreen:

TTFN

Hugh.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

After you've inflated the tyre, always wash the Valve, get the excess/ seepage off by flushing with water, then you can take the valve out at a later time ;)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Hugh wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm Greetings,

Great tips.

I use white correction fluid to mark the alignment of the tyre to the rim, rubber washer on inside rim and exterior lock washers between nut and valve cap.

valve align.jpg

When I replace a tyre I also replace the tube at the same time, expensive, relatively speaking but limits problems later. Pay upfront and play later for longer.

I have used "Slime" in the tubes as I think that it lubes the inside of the tube to help prevent snake bites at low tyre pressures, just remember to set the valve above 9o'clock when checking tyre pressures or look like :mrgreen:

TTFN

Hugh.

That's a great idea if you're using this product.... Thanks for sharing.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Great topic Steve. I've got something similar - HEBBO?, I can't check right now - is Holts the dog's b++++++s or will any similar product do?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”