Holts Tyreweld.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SteveW

Holts Tyreweld.

Post by SteveW »

I can't tell you how good this stuff is even for tubed tyres.
It's pulled me out of the shit three times now, punctures and valve stem rips on tubed tyres.
Twice on my GS800 and last week on my CCMGP450.
I used to carry all the paraphernalia associated with punctured tubes......pump, tubes, tyre irons etc.....
Then I thought I'd take a can of Holts Tyre Weld as well as all that paraphernalia.
I got a puncture in the rear tube of my GS800, typically in the middle of nowhere.
So I thought shit or bust, let's try the Tyreweld first, before I get stuck into a roadside tube-change.
Brilliant. It worked a treat and got me 100 miles home, where I could swap the tube in my garage with a bacon buttie and a brew.
Now I just carry the Tyreweld and leave the other stuff at home.
Last week the valve stem on the front wheel of my CCM450 parted company with the tube.....at 60mph on the road, not very pleasant!
The Tyreweld got me home.
This is important......Just remember to bring some rubber washers out with you. Before you use the Tyreweld, put the rubber washers over the valve stem and tighten the nut on the stem down to the rim, this seals the gap, especially if your problem is a detached valve stem. (There'll be enough bulk on the detached stem inside the rim to stop it pulling out)
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG (213.27 KiB) Viewed 10762 times
Tink

Re: Holts Tyreweld.

Post by Tink »

Thanks for that 👍.... I'll be investing in some 🍻
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Always used to carry a can, and as with always first port of call.
That was until the can decided to discharge its contents whilst out on a ride. Covering the entire rear end including wheel in a sticky mess.

What a F@£kin nightmare to clean up.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I’ve been using it for a fair few years and it’s never failed yet. I have noticed that you need to keep a check in the tyre pressure after using as it can increase to well over the recommended. On long term use my wife’s car had a leaky tyre that would go flat over a week. Used the Tyreweld to fix it about three years ago and it’s still holding air.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I use it as a get-me-home quick fix for bikes.
I've got one of those tyre plug guns and a 12v compressor for car tyres.
I hate those emergency thin wheels you seem to get in cars now.
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

always have one in my top box.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I have taken to carrying a can now, again, as I got an E09 on the rear :? 8-)
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

990 rim lol.
Good tip that about the rubber washers. Never thought it would work, as it woukd come out of the valve.
I presume that all other types would work too, tyre weld etc, or is it the type of sealant they use.
Petethefeet

Post by Petethefeet »

I have never used this but just out of interest how easy is it to remove the Tyreweld gloop from the rim and inside of the tyre if you want to reuse the tyre. I like the idea of it but if it rights tyre off every time you use it ....
XT350 1988
Triumph Thunderbird 1957
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Petethefeet wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:52 pm I have never used this but just out of interest how easy is it to remove the Tyreweld gloop from the rim and inside of the tyre if you want to reuse the tyre. I like the idea of it but if it rights tyre off every time you use it ....
Good question, when I got my CCM450 back home I didn't change the tube until I'd got time.....about four days later.
There was very little residue left in the tyre, it is a bit messy when you are using it, whilst it pops the tyre back on the bead.
I gave the rim a wash-off when I got the bike home.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”