Big man tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
RH_SCOTLAND

Re: Big man tent

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

I am usually camping on my own, so there is plenty of room for gear etc.

As I'm getting an auld grumpy twat, I have a copy Helinox chair and bed along with an Exped Synmat 9LW.

Really is pretty luxuious for a camping set up.

Used my Khyam Igloo for years, but needed the height. And the Khyam tents are wide when packed on bike, so went for the vango. Even have my Royal Dutch Army tarp stored in the tent bag. Not as quick to pitch, but the height and length make up for that.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

RH_SCOTLAND wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm I am usually camping on my own, so there is plenty of room for gear etc.

As I'm getting an auld grumpy twat, I have a copy Helinox chair and bed along with an Exped Synmat 9LW.

Really is pretty luxuious for a camping set up.

Used my Khyam Igloo for years, but needed the height. And the Khyam tents are wide when packed on bike, so went for the vango. Even have my Royal Dutch Army tarp stored in the tent bag. Not as quick to pitch, but the height and length make up for that.
You use a Helinox bed and a synmat?

That was my next decision imminantly Helinox or more likely a Synmat 7lw, is there much difference to sleep on a 9as opposed to a 7?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

If you carry out a google search with 'advrider big tent' etc you'll get some great results.

http://advrider.com/index.php?search/69 ... &c[node]=6

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/h ... l.1196223/

I hope this helps

:D
Will It Buff Out?
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Both as comfy but the 9 offers better heat retention which I prefer.

My chair and bed are the knock off Chinese copies. IMHO great for the jobs intended and so much better value.

With the bed and 9LW you don't have to go for a 4 season sleeping bag. Too warm!!!! I camp from early March through to November in Scotland. Use a 3 season bag. Even do the odd mad January camp!
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

To continue the tent saga, I bought the Vango Galaxy 300 to have a luxurious amount of space and headroom in the porch only to find it was shorter than advertised internally and I was touching both ends.

The suppliers, Summits online, were very accomodating and took the tent back and refunded in full, offering three alternatives which were longer, so I plumped for the Nemesis 300 wich promised to be an all season tent, good in high winds or even snow which was much more than I needed and much longer internally according to the advertised specification.

Unfortunately it is also shorter than advertised by 100mm and I am touching both ends when lying down, what is it with Vango tents?

More than 10 days ago I asked the supplier and Vango for an answer why their tent dimensions are so far out, is my tent incorrectly made and too short or is their specification incorrect and misleading?

And the answer is, supplier, return for another refund and no comment, Manufacturer didn't even bother to respond as promised after over 12 days!

Vango tents!
threepot

Post by threepot »

Recently purchased one of these. Hoping to try it out soon.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/1626 ... t-red.html
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

threepot wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 pm Recently purchased one of these. Hoping to try it out soon.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/1626 ... t-red.html
That's a similar looking tent at a much keener price than Vango, I would appreciate if you could put a tape on the internal length when you put it up :)
threepot

Post by threepot »

I bought mine 2nd hand on gumtree for £20!😀 . Used it last year in the Cotswolds,and it was great. Plenty of room,and not much more effort to erect than a smaller tent i have. That's it on my bike to give you an idea of size.
There is a further reduction on that link,,or shop elsewhere?
Also a size chart on link.
Attachments
IMG_20170825_122308.jpg
IMG_20170825_122308.jpg (178.2 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

You need one of these - :D

Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

Me and my son use a Wild Country Etisian 4 tent which I find has loads of room for two folk and there kit. I would never want to ram 4 folk into it as they would certainly be squashed. It not massive when packed down and as I ride solo I just strap it on to the back of the bike.
If you go online I'm sure you will find the dimensions.
Both my son and myself are also fans of the Exped air matrees and find them very comfortable plus we both suffer with bad backs and these matreesses dont cause us any problems.
Cheers Steve

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”