Firebox Stove - Advice Needed

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
bikersam

Firebox Stove - Advice Needed

Post by bikersam »

I've been lugging around my old camp stove with me every trip and I've decided it's time for a change.

I mainly use the stove to boil up water for a coffee in the mornings and it feels like a waste lugging this heavy stove around with me all the time.

I discovered firebox stoves last week when I came across this article and I'm quite excited by the idea.

I'm currently looking at buying the kampMate https://www.kampmate.com/products/woodflame-stove.

Does anyone own a firebox stove or more specifically, the kampMate? Would you recommend buying one? Would it be able to replace my camp stove?
Last edited by bikersam on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
qcnr

Re: Firebox Stove - Advice Needed

Post by qcnr »

I do not have one and have never used one.
However, in my days of yomping around Dartmoor and various other nasty places in the world, the good old
hexi stove never let me down. Nowadays I have also gone away from a multifuel stove and just use a Vango
gas camping stove. A canister lasts ages and are readily available, especially in europe.
As for the stoves you link to, my opinion is they take the hexi stove a step further, so you can use twigs, charcoal etc
to brew your hot wet. But that means every time you want a hot wet or bacon butty, you have to scavenge
around for twigs. I just fold out my stove, connect to cas and using the built in piezo, light it up. Takes
about 1 minute from unpacking to water on the boil...
I can see the advatage in the wilds of Mongolia or backroads of Canada, Alaska etc, but not in europe...
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

You can supplement these type of stoves with other fuels to avoid the situation described by qncr

I use a chafing gel tin or meths burner with mine. Both work fine at sub zero temperatures where I am informed gas can be problematic. Having never used a gas stove I can't confirm this.

The good thing about the flat pack stoves (which are way cheaper off ebay btw) are they are very cheap way of cooking and eating if you have a good supply of wood. Better but bulkier are the wood gasifier stoves (about £11 from ebay for a Chinese version) which really kick out some flame. These and the hobo stoves can run on wood based cat litter pellets from the Poundshop
aneemake

Post by aneemake »

Thanks for the thread, guys! I did have many questions. :)
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

A lot of the time I camp in places where wood stoves or stoves involving fire like that which can leave embers would be a big no no. Same applies to a bbq, gas only.

So I use a regular gas stove with gas canisters. For speed and convenience they are unbeatable.

Gas at subzero temperatures does not vapourize well and will indeed be problematic. The canisters need to be kept warm to help reduce the problem.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Is this not an advert bot?

In all honesty, if you're just brewing water & with the multitude of options available, carting round a heavy lump seems excessive? If I'm just brewing coffee or rehydrating I use my Alpkit brew kit.......doesn't require a huge amount of effort to fit that into...well anything

Nice piece of kit but US & lots cheaper on eBay :ugeek:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 pm A lot of the time I camp in places where wood stoves or stoves involving fire like that which can leave embers would be a big no no. Same applies to a bbq, gas only.

So I use a regular gas stove with gas canisters. For speed and convenience they are unbeatable.

Gas at subzero temperatures does not vapourize well and will indeed be problematic. The canisters need to be kept warm to help reduce the problem.
A butane/propane mix canister will work better in freezing conditions than just butane.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Indeed, heere at least the big sport shops sell winter cartridges/ cans for gas stoves.
I can't imagine many people riding in temps below -10....
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

I've got/tried a few different stoves, as suggested if it's mostly for boiling water alpkit or jetboil probably my first choice also, jetboil do an adapter lets you do away with the cup & support a normal saucepan which works on the alpkit as well although you have to keep the heat low & keep stirring the contents or the middle gets nuked. That said I've just bought an msr pocket rocket 2? about £30 folds down to nothing in the palm of your hand/weighs nothing as well.. work of art 8-)
bikersam

Post by bikersam »

Q plate wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 am I've got/tried a few different stoves, as suggested if it's mostly for boiling water alpkit or jetboil probably my first choice also, jetboil do an adapter lets you do away with the cup & support a normal saucepan which works on the alpkit as well although you have to keep the heat low & keep stirring the contents or the middle gets nuked. That said I've just bought an msr pocket rocket 2? about £30 folds down to nothing in the palm of your hand/weighs nothing as well.. work of art 8-)
I went to my mate's earlier this month and he showed me the jetboil flash stove. It was great so I bought one but been too busy so hasn't been out since :cry:

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”