Jet Boil question...

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SteveR

Re: Jet Boil question...

Post by SteveR »

ipswichbiker wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 pm You can put the canister in water and how it floats will show how much gas (roughly). Also if you are rehydrating food used a cook pouch it means you only use gas to bring to the boil and no simmering
What a long winded and overly complex bit of kit!! Easier just to make it into a bag shape, staple the bottom and boom, and it'll at least pack flat!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SteveR wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:23 am
This particular requirement is for No.3 sprog, my son. He uses the Jetboil on exercise/in the field when playing Soldiers, and needs to be sure he has enough gas for a weekend or whatever. Usually reheating Rat packs and brewing up with the water left over!!

Also, jetboil fuel is silly money in the 100g canisters, so I've bought a widget to allow them to be refilled a few times from a cheapie 4 for a fiver 220g butane canisters!
Cheap refill widget arrived from China yesterday, all of £1.77 delivered and I tried filling a spare Jetboil mini canister as my first go last night.

After chilling the canister in the freezer for 2-3 hours, I then got a cheapie butane can (for the Chinese cooking stoves) and used approx half the donor can to refill the canister, weighing the canister as I went to achieve the target weight. I got to the correct weight and checked the Jetboil canister seal under water to make sure it was good... it was ;) Cost of the refill gas... about 65p. So even with the widget cost, a saving of around £5.00* Now to see how well pure butane works in the stove when he gets back from Brecon :-)

*Which was the cost of scales!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

never saw Rambo with a jet boil :shock:

I'm surprised they don't use "whatsap" to order a take away :roll:

he needs to cut his tooth brush in half longitudinally to save weight ;)

or being an occifer he gets the sprogs to carry his kit for him :mrgreen:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 am never saw Rambo with a jet boil :shock:

or being an occifer he gets the sprogs to carry his kit for him :mrgreen:

cheers Spud ;)
Rambo was in Yankland, a Maccies on every corner... :-)

Apparently, as an Ossifer, he gets to carry more weight than squaddies other than mortar wallahs. Mostly batteries it seems to me!!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Well, straight butane works just fine... I've told him that in very cold weather (ie Brecons, mid Feb!) he will need a propane/Butane mix, but I can do that too, with another of China's finest widgets, a connector from a large butane or propane cylinder down to a lindal fitting canister. Fill cost... 5p? :D Bit less than Jetboil's price of 6-7 quid!!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Well, straight butane works just fine... I've told him that in very cold weather (ie Brecons, mid Feb!) he will need a propane/Butane mix, but I can do that too, with another of China's finest widgets, a connector from a large butane or propane cylinder down to a lindal fitting canister. Fill cost... 5p? :D Bit less than Jetboil's price of 6-7 quid!!
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

SteveR wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm Well, straight butane works just fine... I've told him that in very cold weather (ie Brecons, mid Feb!) he will need a propane/Butane mix, but I can do that too, with another of China's finest widgets, a connector from a large butane or propane cylinder down to a lindal fitting canister. Fill cost... 5p? :D Bit less than Jetboil's price of 6-7 quid!!
Interesting, I knew you could refill cylinders, but you have to be carefull not to overfill, not heard of being able to mix them as well, what is the theory with freezing first?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Griff097 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 am
SteveR wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm Well, straight butane works just fine... I've told him that in very cold weather (ie Brecons, mid Feb!) he will need a propane/Butane mix, but I can do that too, with another of China's finest widgets, a connector from a large butane or propane cylinder down to a lindal fitting canister. Fill cost... 5p? :D Bit less than Jetboil's price of 6-7 quid!!
Interesting, I knew you could refill cylinders, but you have to be carefull not to overfill, not heard of being able to mix them as well, what is the theory with freezing first?
It allows any gas internally to contract is my guess, so as to allow an easier fill to max capacity! The opposite of heating up something where the air internally expands.

It seems to work anyway, as I've successfully refilled the canisters several times now :-) Scales are the secret.

I have not bothered with mixing gases, as butane seems to work fine here in the UK. Possibly different 6000m up Everest!! Not a big deal anyway, again, just a case of weighing what goes in to the canister or cylinder.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”