Lone Rider v Vango Turini 200 Adventure tents

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Matty

Post by Matty »

I am looking to buy a new/second hand tent for my next Adventure, looking at the lone rider tent which you can park your bike in, (very cool I thought) lots of money though, then I saw the Vango Turini 200 which is very very similar apart from heavier and half the price.
Has anyone used either of these and can offer some pros and cons before I waste my money on the wrong one.
Many thanks in advance
uturntony

Re: Lone Rider v Vango Turini 200 Adventure tents

Post by uturntony »

I have the Lone Rider and love it. Got it off UKGSER for a couple hundred quid.
Dead easy to get up and down, loadsa room to stand, sit, cook and sit in fact a really versatile bit of kit. It's not the lightest smallest thing but as it's the GS that lugs it around that's ok. Quality is good too i reckon. I'm not a dyed in the wool camper so using the Lone Rider has transformed my camping experience for the much, much better.
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

I've got the vango, it's surprising how well it does in strong wind and heavy rain. No leaks or rips. The vestibule is huge and there's even a quirky little "alleyway" you walk down to the bedroom!.
It can take a while to put up the first time, the groundsheet has a "glory-hole" for the instance that only Go's in one way and get that wrong and you waste a lot of time, but if you're stopping more than one night in the same place or require lots of space then it's definitely worth a look.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Matty

Post by Matty »

Thanks, what's the weight like on this as it is a lot heavier than the lone rider according to the stats
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I have just returned from Kazakhstan and the wife bought me a lone rider to do the trip, it turn out to be brilliant, and really made the trip. Easy to erect, and very comfortable to live in. I parked the bike inside most nights and this meant very few visits for inquisitive locals. I coped a monster storm at 3000 mts in Georgia and had to physically hold the tent up from the inside as the rain and wind tried to flatten us, but we were still there next morning and no damage at all. Its lite and pack really fast. I love the door system which means you can vent from different directions depending on the wind. The bag also had room for my wet suit, and extra ground sheet. The only gripe would be the pegs are made from cheese, and I bent most of them, saying that I did camp wild any where and every where. If you need any more details or info then pm me
lmg

Post by lmg »

I have both the Turini Vango and the lone rider - the weight difference, in reality, is negligible. The Vango is slightly more "useable" on the space front in my view, although the Lone Rider is taller.
I personally wouldn't put my bike inside the tent - id just use the 'garage' as additional living space.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Matty

Post by Matty »

lmg wrote:I have both the Turini Vango and the lone rider - the weight difference, in reality, is negligible. The Vango is slightly more "useable" on the space front in my view, although the Lone Rider is taller.

I personally wouldn't put my bike inside the tent - id just use the 'garage' as additional living space.
Thanks that's really helpful. If money was not the issue which one would you choose
Matty

Post by Matty »

captinktm wrote:I have just returned from Kazakhstan and the wife bought me a lone rider to do the trip, it turn out to be brilliant, and really made the trip. Easy to erect, and very comfortable to live in. I parked the bike inside most nights and this meant very few visits for inquisitive locals. I coped a monster storm at 3000 mts in Georgia and had to physically hold the tent up from the inside as the rain and wind tried to flatten us, but we were still there next morning and no damage at all. Its lite and pack really fast. I love the door system which means you can vent from different directions depending on the wind. The bag also had room for my wet suit, and extra ground sheet. The only gripe would be the pegs are made from cheese, and I bent most of them, saying that I did camp wild any where and every where. If you need any more details or info then pm me
Thanks for the imput I am leaning toward the lone rider now but the price is a lot more.
Bigdavesmate

Post by Bigdavesmate »

Matty wrote:Thanks, what's the weight like on this as it is a lot heavier than the lone rider according to the stats
The weight difference wouldn't be huge, but isn't that why you have several hundred cc's to do the heavy lifting for you?
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.- Louis L'Amour
Matty

Post by Matty »

Bigdavesmate wrote:
Matty wrote:Thanks, what's the weight like on this as it is a lot heavier than the lone rider according to the stats
The weight difference wouldn't be huge, but isn't that why you have several hundred cc's to do the heavy lifting for you?
Haha yes that is a good point

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”