i need a new tent for buggered knees ?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
spasm

i need a new tent for buggered knees ?

Post by spasm »

ok another post about camping, me and a mate are off touring for 4 weeks in august, all of europe and maybe romania, now thats quite a long period of time touring and we generally do camping and some hotels, b&b's. depends where we end up really.
i've been using a khyam igloo for 4 years and it's been superb in all weathers, super fast pitching and packing, a bit bulky yeah but so.
now then ok i'm only 50 but my knees are shot away from building work over the years, and i cant take crawling in and out of a tent, especially at night for a piss (i do use a 4 pint milk bottle so i dont have to leave the tent )
so well yeah im looking for a tent that packs smallish, but i can stand up in/walk in. i've been looking but there's nothing in between lol,
i do luv to use a tent for the adventures, but the knees say no, but the wallet says yes ffs
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
tuftywhite

Re: i need a new tent for buggered knees ?

Post by tuftywhite »

Vango Beta 350
Wild Country Etesian 3 or 4.
Both are big enough to share, depending on your mate's sleeping habits. :)
spasm

Post by spasm »

dont do sharing lol, but cheers for the tip
i only need one wheel .......... the rear
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I'm thrilled with my Coleman Coastline 3 Plus. Its got up to 1.55m headroom in the porch area and wasn't hard on the wallet. I had a 1.2m headroom tent and it makes a great difference. I simply strap the tent on top now, all else goes in panniers and top box stays at home. I don't do tent sharing either but at a push might do it on a run to a ferry. I have knee issues too and it was one of the main reasons for the change. The 3 plus has 3 doors and when you open them all up its like a tarp.
Link below but mine cost me €90 delivered early in the year. Only complaint is that its tight to get back in the bag but I just bought a separate bag and it works well. Otherwise fantastic and I wanted it for a 3 week trip later in the year. Used it quite a few weekends now and love it. Took it up to ABR Ireland in May. I swapped out the pegs for alloy ones, cheap weight saving.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg

One of the guys I go camping with bought a Vango Beta 350 and it does much the same thing but I preferred to have the three doors so I'm covered for all wind directions, the Vango has 2 doors.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
mabawza

Post by mabawza »

Been thinking about one of these http://www.uttings.co.uk/p124943-vango- ... WU7Q4TyvIU
Got a knackered back and knees so like the idea of the large porch, you would only have to crawl into the sleeping area to get the head down would spend most of the time sitting in the porch area. there is a 3 man version, that is the one featured in the video but it's a bit to big.
BigRedUn

Post by BigRedUn »

I'm very happy with my Vango Ark 300. Enough head room to sit in the porch, and big enough for my camp cot.
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

I have the Vango Galaxy 300. Works a treat. Great for two. Very roomy for one! Works well with a tarp too.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I hate camping.
But my Redverz makes it bearable.
A very flexible tent,
Great for security.....you don't need to strip off all the valuable/vulnerable stuff at night if you put the bike in the "garage"
Even with the bike inside there's enough room to stand up and put riding kit on.
You don't need to leave the tent for a midnight piss!
Loads of room for bulky kit.
Cook safely under cover.
If you leave the campsite and have a wander about on foot, I always think the bike is more secure.....out of sight is out of mind.
Dodgy knees (me to) are less of a problem due to height of the tent.
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

I reviewed the Redverz Atacama in the last issue of the ABR mag. Ace bit of kit. A bit bulky but I could almost stand fully up at 6 foot 5!
Steve, what model is the one in your photo. Looks smaller than the Atacama, but still offering the same great benefits.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”