self inflating mattress which one for me

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mawsley

Re: self inflating mattress which one for me

Post by Mawsley »

deksawyer wrote:
Mawsley wrote:You can have comfort or small pack size, not both. I went for comfort a year ago and still love it: Vango Adventure DLX 7.5mm self-inflating mat
Not sure you're correct there old chap, but it depends on what you mean by small pack size.....my Exped Synmat UL 9 LW is extremely comfy and it packs down very small. The 7 packs even smaller.

D.
For a minute I thought you'd suggested my dream bed, but it's not self inflating (which is why it'll pack small).
Africa Twin
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

Ha ha, Sorry. Well it only takes a minute or so to inflate.... :woohoo:
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Another (thumbs) for Exped
Mine's a 9ULW Thermarest and I love it. Comes with a good repair kit which I needed after holing it at a MAG rally last year
Ktmbrock

Post by Ktmbrock »

I know its lazy ..but I use a mini vacuum from maplin to pump up my thermorest
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/mini-vacuum-cleaner-lg61r
Not impressed by the noise of the thermorest mat thought ,will be interested to see what others are using
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

deksawyer wrote:Ha ha, Sorry. Well it only takes a minute or so to inflate.... :woohoo:
Just watched a video, and now I'm interested! My logic behind a self-inflating one was that at least there's still something to sleep on if it punctures in the night - which is OK for brief UK weekends, but I'm thinking the bulk will become a pain when I ride to Morocco next year.
Africa Twin
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

rickyharlov wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 am I think you should try on websites from where you can easily get a new bed at affordable cost. Websites are very helpful for everyone for purchasing fresh and comfortable beds.
And are they any good for camping you spamming twat
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

P4ulie wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:16 am Unless you regularly camp in winter you don't need an exped down mat, they're also not self inflating. Probably best money can buy though?
Being more fiscally challenged I've found Alpkit to be more than adequate. They don't pack the smallest (I have a Thermarest Neo Air for lightweight, carry as little as possible camping) but if you want something comfy & fairly wide, but will still pack small enough for bike trips, have a look at the Dozer or Dirtbag.
You won't find anything better designed or made in the price range (thumbs)
I'm using an Exped downmat 9----its had weeks of use over 3 years or so (they have upgraded the design a couple of times to get over an internal deterioration issue and also improve the stoppers--I have the latest--changed FOC!). Its been perfect and is better than most hotel beds--even tried a camp bed but this on its own is the dogs. It really is no effort to inflate it and a couple of roll ups sees it pack down really small--however, best stored when not in regular use "naturally " inflated to give the down a rest--everyone else seems to be copying them now--the best thing about the down fill is that you don't get a condensation problem. My old bones will not take something thin and uncomfortable so this keeps me camping (last sting was 4 weeks in France this summer).
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Alpkit Dumo for me.

Not self inflating but it only takes a few minutes to inflate with the built in pump.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just thought I would give the 18 quid Lidl "air bed " a try--now this packs REALLY small (ripstop), its a good width and length, has numerous small tubes, and is pretty thin compared to conventional air beds, BUT when quickly inflated with a small air pump (and not up hard) it seems extremely comfortable as it conforms to you, you don't "ground out", and you don't roll off it. Slightly thicker than the self inflators but the small pack size and weight is well worth it I think (about 9 inches long and 4 inches diameter--packed!!)--I'll try it this summer and save my downmat for the winter.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just a quick update--used it fro two nights at Hagg's bank this weekend--impressed--it works well--you don't fall off it and don't ground out--comfy.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”