self inflating mattress which one for me

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SteveR

Re: self inflating mattress which one for me

Post by SteveR »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:Came to conclusion self inflating doesn't really self inflate......

Went back to the airbed this year and very happy with it.
Summer use and packing small but still comfy, totally agree. 12v Aldi pump and up in 2 mins. If it leaks, chuck away and buy another.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Unless you regularly camp in winter you don't need an exped down mat, they're also not self inflating. Probably best money can buy though?
Being more fiscally challenged I've found Alpkit to be more than adequate. They don't pack the smallest (I have a Thermarest Neo Air for lightweight, carry as little as possible camping) but if you want something comfy & fairly wide, but will still pack small enough for bike trips, have a look at the Dozer or Dirtbag.
You won't find anything better designed or made in the price range (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Wow, expensive stuff :ohmy:
Decathlon again for me. When I unpack it's like a Decathlon showroom but I find their stuff good regardless that it's also cheap.
I've just spent two weeks on one of these
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-a10 ... 29334.html
I'm a lightweight at 15st :unsure: but found it very comfortable even on rather rough ground (more stones and twigs than grass). It's only 3/4 length but I didn't notice and it means it packs down small.
And no, it isn't self inflating. It does a bit but needs a couple of puffs to get it up fully. Luckily there were a couple at our campsite :woohoo:
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Some of it is very expensive & if I only did one weekend a year id buy cheap tat.
Thermarest cost me £95 four years ago but has been slept on around 200 times & still going. I camp a lot so for me it's worth investing in good kit
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

You can have comfort or small pack size, not both. I went for comfort a year ago and still love it: Vango Adventure DLX 7.5mm self-inflating mat
Africa Twin
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

Mawsley wrote:You can have comfort or small pack size, not both. I went for comfort a year ago and still love it: Vango Adventure DLX 7.5mm self-inflating mat
Not sure you're correct there old chap, but it depends on what you mean by small pack size.....my Exped Synmat UL 9 LW is extremely comfy and it packs down very small. The 7 packs even smaller.

D.
hornet

Post by hornet »

had a few self inflating mats that well didnt self inflate lol so now got a Thermarest camper but also got the mini air pump because blowing it up is a real chore.
Now my missus does not do things by half she was using a helinox bed but it was just a bit to big to be carrying round an also she's a cold sleeper and although comfy was getting cold even at 8 to 10 degrees overnight temp. so she now has the exped down mat 9 ul cold rated to minus 38 ffs and it's 9 cm thick it fills using a bag rather than your own puff and trust me she is like the princess and the pea. comfy warm and happy thank heaven.
Go find a good camping shop and lay on them take your time spend once get it right happy days. As for cost I heard this the other day quality always outlasts the price you pay.
Yes I know money is hard to come by me included but I wish I'd gone straight to where I am now rather than upgrading two or three times
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
hornet

Post by hornet »

yup the exped and Thermarest pack smaller than the way thinner mats we had before and they are lighter as well. I think Emma's one is 650 grams from memory
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have used thermarests and imitation thermarests for a number of years. For this years Taffy Dakar and ABR I borrowed the exped that I bought my wife a couple of years ago. Sheer bliss, more comfortable than many beds I have slept on. I will buy myself one when funds allow. They are a bit of a faff to pump up,and let down but for the comfort and small pack size I could live with that.
Cheers Jak
dan66

Post by dan66 »

I have had many over the years and can say without a doubt that the Mountain hardware helium is by far the best I've had.
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/mountain- ... aIQobChMI-
Dan

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”