Hard or soft luggage?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
~ACP~

Re: Hard or soft luggage?

Post by ~ACP~ »

Here's my blue 950. The 2 Kriega bags (US30 + US20) on the rack are sufficient for a week's trip. Matey on his 990 was encumbered with his Gobi panniers and couldn't filter. No doubt weighed a good few kilos more too! I do have the Gobis but never use them any more, especially after they caused me to crash in Wales due to the width :cry:

If I'm loading the tent up I use the Wolfman panniers. They're light and narrow. Work a treat.

I got some mesh cake stands for a quid a side, you can make it out in the top pic. Snipped them to size and cable tied them in the gap so the panniers don't push through onto the exhausts. A chap on the IOM commented that it looked like a ferret cage! :lol: Function over form any day ;)
MattCrane

Post by MattCrane »

deksawyer wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:47 am Mixture of both works well for me...

I had a really good look at the Mosko Moto gear at the bike show and although I love my Ali Panniers that Mosko gear looked great and having spoken to the guys on the stand for quite a while I am seriously considering a set for my next trip away next year.
BobH

Post by BobH »

DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0121.JPG (306.58 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Worked well and as expected for Morocco.
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I always think soft luggage isn't secure if your in a place your not sure about and you have to leave your bike aluminium panniers are more secure.and the other thing is you can't use soft luggage as a camping table or a chair or even a toilet with a bin liner or is the new soft luggage different to what I us to have.I have often wondered what are the benifits of soft luggage.just my opinion everyone is different.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

i haven't read the rest of the thread, but soft panniers seem more strongly attached , better for trails, and width can be adjusted.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Wonkyconk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 am If going offroading I'd recommend one of the giant loop type luggage.
Mine is from 21 brothers and I rate it highly.
4 straps to attach to the bike and never moves even during hard offroading.
Yes I look at these but am I right in saying they have to be loaded from one end? Because this they are a bit of a pain?
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

All depends on whats in them and where you're going, as mentioned the big boxes do hinder blatting up the centre of the traffic jams, but then if your off the beaten track and you're doing a beer/wine run then soft is not the answer :lol: , one thing I do know is the Tesco bag for life is a great fit for the inner of the Gobi side boxes 8-)
The hard boxes will also give you more surface area to strap stuff to the tops hill billy style :lol:
IMAG0716.jpg
IMAG0716.jpg (209.05 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

anthony29040 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 pm I always think soft luggage isn't secure if your in a place your not sure about and you have to leave your bike aluminium panniers are more secure.and the other thing is you can't use soft luggage as a camping table or a chair or even a toilet with a bin liner or is the new soft luggage different to what I us to have.I have often wondered what are the benifits of soft luggage.just my opinion everyone is different.
That made me laugh :lol: Using hard luggage for a toilet? I guess it's ok as long as your mate don't catch you. :roll:

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”