Best wild camp tent?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
V-Rider

Best wild camp tent?

Post by V-Rider »

Hi all,
Going camping in Scotland within the next week or so, and looking at a smaller tent as my current one is too big and annoying to set up if wild camping.
Looking at various tent designs and wondering how people get on with space in two person tents. Personally I like room to store some panniers etc in my tent, but I realise this may not always be possible with a two man tent, though one with a porch/ vestibule area would be ideal. Must add I am also over 6ft and not a slim bloke! :whistle:
Thoughts / recommendations please! (thumbs)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Boggs

Re: Best wild camp tent?

Post by Boggs »

Ive been using a Coleman Rocksprings 3 for about 5yrs now,it's the dome style with crossed fibre glass poles,i find these styles are better at withstanding those scottish winds.I can't fault it,it's been a great tent and had some punishment on it's travels,weighs about 4.5kg packed and you can put the outside up 1st,handy if its raining when you arrive at a campsite,i always camp alone and find a 3 man tent is ideal for a me,no way is their enough space in a 1 man tent,you can get yourself in and that's about it lol.
(thumbs)
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Hi Boggs,

This is what I currently have, it's good in the sense that it has plenty space for one person for all of my kit and then some, but its a faff to erect and takes too long to do. I'm more thinking along the lines of a tunnel tent that I can pitch the inner and outer together at the end of a long riding day and things would be a lot easier.

Also any recommendations for any tarps would be great!

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
bunker

Post by bunker »

As far as tarps go I've been using the Vango adventure tarp for a good few years now, its great to stick up as a quick shelter or to use as a porch extension if you're in the same place for a few days.
http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tent-addition ... -tarp.html
Wasn't quite that expensive when I bought it! :laugh:
Triumph Tiger 885
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I use a vango ark 200+ im over 6ft and find it ideal 3 poles 5 minutes to pitch never needed guy line as once front and back are pegged its solid cracking porch aswell for tarps I use the vango gear store its amazing hooks on tent touches the floor all the way round and has zipped doors
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

bunker wrote:As far as tarps go I've been using the Vango adventure tarp for a good few years now, its great to stick up as a quick shelter or to use as a porch extension if you're in the same place for a few days.

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tent-addition ... -tarp.html

Wasn't quite that expensive when I bought it! :laugh:
Almost £40 for a tarp!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Vango ark looks good, I was looking at the Eurohike Backpacker DLX tent - looks fairly decent for the price and pitches as one. My Avon tent has done me well over the years and never had any leaks, so I have some faith in other Eurohike products.

Mind you, the black Vango tents do look appealing for the stealth camping scenarios... :whistle:
Africa John

Best wild camp tent?

Post by Africa John »

Tent - Coleman Phad X3
Tarp - DD 3x3
:lol:
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

V-Rider wrote:Hi Boggs,
I'm more thinking along the lines of a tunnel tent that I can pitch the inner and outer together at the end of a long riding day and things would be a lot easier.
I find a lot of the Coleman tents offer this,this old Rocksprings 3 i use can be dropped and put away with the inner still attached,just has to be folded a bit more precise,i wish they still made it,it's been replaced now with another model.

:(
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I'm going to be wild camping in the Highlands for 9 nights beginning of July & decided to do a bit of a mix & match. I have a Luxe Hexpeak which makes the perfect tarp, leaving the inner nest at home & using a bivvy & groundsheet.
I may regret it once the midges come calling but it means I have a decent shelter with a lot of internal room for cooking / storage, that packs down tiny & goes up in seconds.
If I was staying more than 1 night somewhere I'd take a proper tent though ;)
Something to consider, if you pitch / take down the inner & outer together, if it's been raining you will have a soaking tent, you need to separate & the faff that goes with it ....the chance of rain in Scotland you ask? :unsure:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

Not sure if they're big enough for your needs, but I do a bit of backpacking/wildcamping and the 2 I recommend are:
For speed and ease of getting pitched quickly in the rain, Wild Country Zephyros. You can pick them up for pretty cheap and they're pretty well bomb proof. Downside is that there's not much space at all and (if you're 6ft) no room to sit up.
For a bit more space (but still not palatial :laugh:) the Alpkit Ordos is a great tent - it's what I use now. Downside is it's a bit more fragile feeling, but having said that I've had no issues so far. It also has the flexibility of pitching as just the inner, just the fly or both. Had mine in some pretty hairy weather in the lakes and it was fine!
Both of the above are around 1.2kg for the 2 man variants and pack down to sod all.
Tarp wise, you can't beat the Alpkit gear in terms of price Vs quality Vs weight. Plenty of strong tie off points too.
HTH

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”