Single skin tent??

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
BIG BILL

Single skin tent??

Post by BIG BILL »

I have always used double skined tent's Vaude and the like for years but now I have read some cracking reports on single skins( which are lighter and smaller )
Has anyone used one in anger? I know Outrunner has and swears by them.

Here is the one I'm looking at LINKY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Green-T ... 2eb6a44d5b

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
KTMBLAG

Re: Single skin tent??

Post by KTMBLAG »

Problem with single skin tents is the condensation. There's no barrier between you and it. You've probably seen the amount on the outer skin of the tent before when you pack it up you'll have all that against you. The one your looking at don't seem very light at 7.2kg in my opinion
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Because of my size and problems I need a big tent ( doorway at least ) my last tent is 14kg and much lower.
These tents have a system where the condensation runs down the skin and the living area is 4" away at the lowest point, meaning the outer runs away from the ground sheet.

I know they will never perform like a good qaulity Mountain tent.

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

I'd go for it then if you think it's right, i've had a few vango tents anfd I can't fault em
outrunner

Post by outrunner »

I am quite happy with my Juno 500, you do get a bit of condensation but nothing to worry about,perhaps it will be worse if more than one person is using it. The price for the one you are looking at seems a bit steep just for the extra porch bit but at least it will keep the rain from coming in the door when it is open. I have bought a large tarp to stop this, when it stops feckin raining I will set it up to see how best to use it. BTW, mine is 5KG.:)

Andy.
Grumpy auld man.
Selous

Post by Selous »

BIG BILL wrote:I have always used double skined tent's Vaude and the like for years but now I have read some cracking reports on single skins( which are lighter and smaller )
Has anyone used one in anger? I know Outrunner has and swears by them.

Here is the one I'm looking at LINKY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Green-T ... 2eb6a44d5b

BIG BILL
mate how BIG are you as the tent your looking at is a 5 man!!!

I would just out of interest go look at Vango web site you might just find something to suite you better and double skin & be lighter http://www.vango.co.uk/products.html
This might help Find me a tent http://www.findmeatent.com/index.php

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

I need the size as it will on occasion sleep three, My youngest on the back of me and my middle son on his baby vara.
it's the height more than anything and the condensation.

BIG BILL
Your along time dead..
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

It's horse for courses really, single skin tents will always tend to suffer from condensation although this can be compensated for with adequete ventilation but then that means they are not as good in windy conditions (read that as draughty :laugh: ).

As long as you are aware of the limitations it's OK.

I have competed in mountain marathon events where many competitors use single skin tents for light weight/small pack size but can suffer in bad weather.

my own tent a Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 weighs only 870g but is still double skin tent, mind you I think you would find it a bit on the small side ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

My advice is avoid. I used to have a Vango ultra lite 200Image for walking and camping. Its vented with mesh panels but I still used to be woken up by condensation raining down on my face.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

If it's a decent size you're after I'd check out the Vango Halo 300 I use one and rattle around inside with available space. Packs quite small, reasonable weight, and can be pitched all in one, or outer first.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”